Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just got a Kona about a month ago, and I’m worried because I feel some vibration after 65-70mph. I got the tires rotated, and they have a bit more than the recommendation PSI. I’m wondering if it’s road feel (roads can be pretty bad here) or if it’s something else. Do you guys feel vibrations after that speed as well?

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Did you get the tires Balanced too ? Rotating them will help identify which is out of balance..
A general rule is, if you feel it in the steering wheel, its in the front.. if you feel a vibration in the
seat, its most likely the rears. Get a good dynamic balance done.
Welcome to the forum!

Hi! Just got a Kona about a month ago, and I’m worried because I feel some vibration after 65-70mph. I got the tires rotated, and they have a bit more than the recommendation PSI. I’m wondering if it’s road feel (roads can be pretty bad here) or if it’s something else. Do you guys feel vibrations after that speed as well?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Cortegaro, Feeling any vibration in the steering is a definite issue, which as BadPapa & Tout along with myself, would agree, it may be as simple as a chk. balance by "someone you can trust", other than that the next step I would suggest would be a front end alignment. Between the 4 wheel balance an the front end alignment, it "should" correct any vibrations issues. Also, make sure your tires are all the same p.s.i., not so much for vibration but uneven wear on tires. Good luck, hope you enjoy your Kona.

Scrat

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My Kona has always never been 100% smooth, no matter what tire of rim combo and how many times they are balanced. I was in the tire business for 4 years, so I know what they are doing and if I am having a issue I ask to see it spun up. They know I am anal and I get the asst. manager to do it, so they know its done right. I think there are rotating parts that are not balanced. Like rotors, front drive shafts or possibly the front to rear diff drive shaft. You can't pin point if it is front or rear, but it is there. It is not enough to get the dealer to deal with it, they will always say we can't feel it. I just live with it for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey - did you ever find out what this was? I have a similar issue and my brand new 2020 Kona which only has 170 miles on it. Have a mild vibration between 60 to 70 mph (the highway sweet spot of course). Fades away at 75+ mph. Hate to have to bring it in for service after only owning it for a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Hey - did you ever find out what this was? I have a similar issue and my brand new 2020 Kona which only has 170 miles on it. Have a mild vibration between 60 to 70 mph (the highway sweet spot of course). Fades away at 75+ mph. Hate to have to bring it in for service after only owning it for a few weeks.
most likely have a wheel out of balance.. The dealer should rebalance these for you at no charge since it’s brand new.. The factory most likely static balances the wheel/tire combo.. This isnt As good as a spin balance..
You can also rotate your tires and see if the vibration stops or moves to the rear.. then have the tires on that axle balanced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here,enjoy all the stories. My Kona limited I got in February 2020 had some vibration issues at 40-50
Brought it back to the dealer a month ago and they said alignment was fine but some tires had to be forced balanced. They did that and the car was better bit not the way it should be. I'm anal about things so I start looking up what could be done and couldn't fine anything
I wrote it off because I know 18 tires run hard and figured I traded off smoothness for better handling. Then I remembered about 3 years ago in my wifes 17 Rogue I was late for work and it had snowed the night before. Snow was packed solid between the two roof rails. Unable to remove the snow I took off down the highway going about 65 mph. and the car started vibrating all over. Now this car never had a vibrating issue at all. Going home I managed to get all the snow off the roof and the car drove as smooth as it always did
So my Kona has roof rails and crossbars and I thought maybe the wind was buffering though like my Rogue had done with the packed snow. So I removed the 2 crossbars and took it out for a ride and glad to say it's smooth, but I got the 2 crossbars sitting in my basement. It's a lease so I'll put them back when its time to turn it in

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
335 Posts
BTW check lug nuts-make sure they're installed into rim properly & torqued to 95 ft lbs using the staggered tightening pattern.
Is the 95 ft lb in the manual somewhere?

Edit: nvm found in section 6
The wheel lug nut should be tightened to 79~94 lbf·ft (11~13 kgf·m).

I guess the 70 I've been using is under the recommended spec. (comes from all the Honda I've owned)

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Just an old tidbit of info..
if the rear tires are out of balance, you can usually detect it in the seats.. they will vibrate towards the top.. the fronts show up in the steering wheel..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.