Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD with 1000 miles:

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this... If I go from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive and I am turning (example when I am backing out of my parking spot and then put it into drive), it's between a grinding and clunking noise; it happens just in those scenarios. If I am stopped and then drive off while making a left or right turn I don't hear it, it seems to be only that initial Park to Reverse and backing up and then Reverse to Drive driving forward (again if i am turning the wheel).

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
The DCT does make some clicking sound and other noises which are evident at low speed maneuvers.
I especially hear it when backing out of the garage.. more noticeable in the cold, first start.. otherwise
It’s quiet in operation.

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Might be the Steering Column Spring needs lubrication. However it might just be the cold weather.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what ive seen from this forum is that this is a common issue that must be notified to hyundai canada or wherever country it was purchased. I today called them for the exact problem and they have not 1 person on file that had called in the complaint to the manufacture as the lady on the phone mentioned to me. I believe this is really a recall problem that must be addressed so please call in the problem you all are having so we can get this added to a recall listing. She told me specifically if nobody calls in the manufacturer they will not know that such a problem exists simply by going through the dealership. Ive created the first file in Canada regarding the issue. I encourage all of you to do the same so we can solve this problem asap. Here is the customer service line. They were prompt in answering, have your vin #s ready

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD with 1000 miles:

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this... If I go from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive and I am turning (example when I am backing out of my parking spot and then put it into drive), it's between a grinding and clunking noise; it happens just in those scenarios. If I am stopped and then drive off while making a left or right turn I don't hear it, it seems to be only that initial Park to Reverse and backing up and then Reverse to Drive driving forward (again if i am turning the wheel).
I have a 2019 Kona does the same thing word for word. The steering started making noises at 15000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had my steering gear shaft replaced under warranty @ 8500 miles. Car started making sounds like a load of sand was shifting behind the dash when making harder turns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently had my 2018 Kona in to the dealer for the steering noise to be repaired. They had the car for a day, and when I go it back the noise is still there. I think they said they replaced a bearing kit? I sent the service advisor a text telling him the noise was still there, and he didn't reply. They kept sending me requests for a review so I left them a 3 star review, then they called me and wanted me to retract my rating :) I made another appointment to get it worked on again. Hoping they just replaced the wrong part the first time?

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
70 Posts
Don't know if it's a safety issue or not but it's a common problem. The dealer replaced a clock spring component under warranty on my 2018 during its 30k km service and that got rid of the noise for a while. There's a TSP on it and its available on this forum. But now, with 35 km on the clock I note the squeak has come back. It seems to be more noticeable in the cold weather! I guess they are going to have to replace the component again but hopefully this time with the upgraded model!

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Don't know if it's a safety issue or not but it's a common problem. The dealer replaced a clock spring component under warranty on my 2018 during its 30k km service and that got rid of the noise for a while. There's a TSP on it and its available on this forum. But now, with 35 km on the clock I note the squeak has come back. It seems to be more noticeable in the cold weather! I guess they are going to have to replace the component again but hopefully this time with the upgraded model!
i had mine done around 15k i think, im at 30k and its coming back, im not very happy, so they replaced the faulty part with the same kind of faulty part, nice, not to mention local dealers are 4 weeks out to get an appt, then they want 7 business days to diagnose, and then a few days to fix

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
70 Posts
The noise is back in mine too at 37000k. I'll get them to replace the worm drive again next service. I hope they get it right next time cos it'll be the last service while it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
64 Posts
Had our '19 Kona in several months back for that same groaning, whine in the column. They ordered in, and replaced the clock spring component w/o any question after hearing it. Asked if it was being replaced with an "updated" component, but was told, no. So, I guess, as above, there is every likelihood it COULD reoccur, but for now, the noise is gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts