Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking at using the original rims for my Kona for my new Snow tires (Hankook Winter i*cept evo2) this winter but I'm wondering if anyone has a lead on steel wheels which I can mount the tires on for quick changing in the fall and spring. I'm specifically looking at wheels les than $100 per. I will go without TPMS sensors on the winter wheels. I check my air pressure regularly even with the TPMS on the stock wheels.

I'm finding no hits searching online at various websites. They all warn the wheels will not fit my model. I don't know if that's just to deny me a return if they don't fit or if they do not know if they fit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like a perfect fit but you need to ensure the centre bore is both large enough and if it’s too large you’ll need a centre ring insert to keep the wheel centred. Some people claim you’ll get reduced range from the heavier weight of the steel wheels than the stock alloys but the stock ones are also quite heavy(although the stock ones are much more aerodynamic). If you’re checking the tire pressure so often the tendency of aluminum wheels to leak in winter wouldn’t be such a factor either. I’d be really curious to see what range you get with the steel versus alloy wheels? And with what winter tires?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the cautions Sparky. According to the supplier these are a fit for the '21 Kona EV. 67.1mm bore is exact spec according to "wheel-size.com". I will know when they arrive in a week or so.

I'm not worried about checking pressure. Been doing that regularly for more than four decades. I read a little bit about the push to require TPMS units on all cars (article linked back to the Ford/Firestone mess way back when). I do agree TPMS units are important for drivers who lack proper attention to safety and economy.

Will the snow tires on steel wheels result in less range? I have no doubt. I don't think I'll worry about range this winter as much as worrying about staying out of the pickers. Trying to decern if the range reduction is temperature, higher rolling resistance tires, heavier wheels, etc is not something I'll worry about since it will be all of the above.

Someone suggested I stick with aluminum rims. No thanks. $89 ea shipped beats $200 ea any day of the week for me. And I've decided that mounting and balancing twice a year (DIY) is for the birds. I just hope the weather in a couple weeks is not too cold to mount them (for me, not the tires).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
66 Posts
You're going to love it, they have better performance than the stock Nexens in literally any condition and in snow a set of say Blizzaks will make you feel like a road warrior in comparison to all the Wrangler Rubicons driving around in all seasons even though they supposedly only bought it because they live in cold and need to get Georgie to hockey but really they'll just stay home when it snows more than a few inches. Those same people when they finally go out will drive 10mph because of their tire situation and not even realize that's where all the confidence robbing is coming from.

How do I know this? Well your flag is American. 😁

I've been loving these as a summer tire btw if you find yourself looking for a good summer for the EV.

Welcome to a different world, Hyundai really knee capped this car with the stock Nexens. Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered the steelies on Oct. 31. They are to be drop shipped from the manufacturer which I believe is somewhere in Ontario, so customs... It is now the 12th of Nov and the four tracking numbers still show "label Printed" but no movement. I contacted the seller after ten days and they say I need to wait for customs clearance. OK, I'll wait. Checking the tracking numbers now and no change other than one of the four tracking numbers shows "Investigation Opened". Yesterday the UPS truck pulled up and dropped off one rim. I asked the driver if there were three more on his truck and he looked at the computer and said that the wheel was a "1 of 1" shipment. Checking the tracking number on that and I find it is not one of the four tracking numbers sent to me in an email.

The last note from the seller asked me to verify the fit of the one wheel. I'm beginning to think that their assurance they would fit the Kona EV was maybe a guess. So I did just that. Seems to be a good fit front and back. I won't bother with mounting until I get all four, or five, whatever I end up getting. Snowing today though it won't show up on the ground. I still have a month or so before serious winter driving starts.

Front
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finally! Four wheels were just delivered by UPS. Fifteen days from Ontario to N Wisco. Funny, the tracking numbers, all four of them, are not the tracking number the seller sent me. Anywho, I'll report back in a week or so when I mount and balance and install the new snows.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your interest Sparky.

I attempted to mount the tires two days ago with my amateur's tire mounting rig. Pretty much a complete failure. I managed to scratch up the rims a bit and pull something in my lower back while trying to do so. With the cold temps here and my rig not well anchored I gave up when I discovered that Walmart would mount the tires for $11 US a pop.

I have the wheels back and will balance them tomorrow when the temps are a little more forgiving (supposed to be just below freezing). I'm not sure I will be a good source for data on range differences compared to summer driving but I will offer an opinion on handling in the snow vs the past couple weeks of icy roads with the stock tires/wheels. I plan on weighing the assemblies to offer at least that data as a comparison.

I've mostly been driving around town since the temps dropped below freezing. My Guess-o-meter has dropped my range a few tenths of a mile/kW. Though that's a complete guess as I haven't documented the before or after data. So again, my opinions will be worth about a grain of salt. I am changing over to the snows for safety reasons. If I do a winter road trip on dry pavement after the change over I will post my thoughts on range changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts