Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know the majority of the obd2 plug and play tuning chips are nonsense but i have heard some good things about the spitfire tuning chips. Anyone ever try one? Skeptical for the $75 price tag here in Canada. I have a 2020 kona essential 2.0l.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As long as you dont mind voiding the entire vehicle warranty, then go for it. However, a quick google search of other Hyundai and Kia forums, comes up with a list of people that have had performance loss, damaged engine components, fouling of spark plugs, and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think it will be a waste of money, just put your car in sport mode every time you start it up. If you had a turbo car then you could buy a top tier " legitimate" manufacture's piggyback like DTE and all their private label companies who use their hardware. Some use the DTE tune, some use their tune. Non turbo cars really don't have "legitimate" plug in tunes by the OBD2 port. These fly by night names are not spending the time and money to hack into the computer of EACH car specific model like say a DTE has. They rely of "hope" to get you to buy it.

Turbo car piggyback tuners only do it on turbo cars, because it allows them to run another 3-6 pounds more boost from the turbo to get you a "real" hp gain. 20 to 25 hp on a small 4 cylinder. Having a high end legitimate company do your non turbo would maybe get you 4-5 hp that is almost not noticeable. You would be peeved spending what it would take to actually take to really tune your 2.0 liter (est. $300). Now on a non turbo v8 you may find 30-45 hp that may be felt. That's why you see ECU tunes on larger displacement cars and not on non turbo small 4 cylinders, except you will find non turbo scammers willing to take your money with BS reviews.

Here is what it takes to do a turbo car. This company has the market cornered as they provide 90% of the Euro/Asian car markets tuners hardware. Many that had their own hardware have dumped their crap hardware and use DTE's and private lable it and some like RaceChip remold the computer's cover and deny it is DTE hardware. We see this too with Sixth Enginnering that CLEARLY use DTE hardware and deny it is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure about Canada but in the US chipping will not void most of the warranty, windows, horn, ac, etc.
Check Canadian laws before "up grades".
As long as you dont mind voiding the entire vehicle warranty, then go for it. However, a quick google search of other Hyundai and Kia forums, comes up with a list of people that have had performance loss, damaged engine components, fouling of spark plugs, and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, you are right. It will void ECU, engine and drivetrain. IF they know it was installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just an update. The.company tunes these specifically for your vehicle. i noticed 2l per 100km fuel economy increase (ish) on highway and better throttle response...as far as more power i dont notice much. but you dont buy a kona for power. below is a detailed review. ill post any more positive or negative experiences as time goes on!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it will be a waste of money, just put your car in sport mode every time you start it up. If you had a turbo car then you could buy a top tier " legitimate" manufacture's piggyback like DTE and all their private label companies who use their hardware. Some use the DTE tune, some use their tune. Non turbo cars really don't have "legitimate" plug in tunes by the OBD2 port. These fly by night names are not spending the time and money to hack into the computer of EACH car specific model like say a DTE has. They rely of "hope" to get you to buy it.

Turbo car piggyback tuners only do it on turbo cars, because it allows them to run another 3-6 pounds more boost from the turbo to get you a "real" hp gain. 20 to 25 hp on a small 4 cylinder. Having a high end legitimate company do your non turbo would maybe get you 4-5 hp that is almost not noticeable. You would be peeved spending what it would take to actually take to really tune your 2.0 liter (est. $300). Now on a non turbo v8 you may find 30-45 hp that may be felt. That's why you see ECU tunes on larger displacement cars and not on non turbo small 4 cylinders, except you will find non turbo scammers willing to take your money with BS reviews.

Here is what it takes to do a turbo car. This company has the market cornered as they provide 90% of the Euro/Asian car markets tuners hardware. Many that had their own hardware have dumped their crap hardware and use DTE's and private lable it and some like RaceChip remold the computer's cover and deny it is DTE hardware. We see this too with Sixth Enginnering that CLEARLY use DTE hardware and deny it is.

have you used the dte?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, for almost a year. I also have a DTE pedal box. They always have a sale on Black Friday . I saved $200 on the package on Black Friday week end. Ships directly from Germany in 5 days. They make RaceChip too. RaceChip uses their tune in most of their units. DTE makes Sixth Engineering hardware too. They make 5-6 other tuner's boxes hardware. DTE is the mothership for 75% of quality piggybacks. Most of them will deny it, as does RaceChip and Sixth, But when it looks like a duck talks like a duck, it is a duck. and putting a new suit on a duck doesn't change that it is a duck. Those are just some of the ones who put different plastic cover molds on, some use the same covers as DTE.

Anything DTE based is rock solid and SAFE, the only other one that is better on performance and a bit more risky is JB4, that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The Spitfire chip looks like a POS Ebay money grab. Don't waste your money. GOOD, SAFE performance piggybacks cost money. Only buy name brand that have put the time and money into the hardware and tuning.

·
Super Moderator
1,133 Posts
Those generic tuning chips are not something I would waste money or warranty on.. They usually don’t do much if anything good.. or 1 thing good to 10 things bad.. kind of like medicines.. You’re going to need a real tune, preferably on a Dyno to get something close to safe and an actual performance gain..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts