Hyundai Kona Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I received the Kona EV spare tire MIT from Garvey Auto. It is a small spare with Jack & tools, and it does fit in the trunk below the floor if you remove all of the reinforced syrofoam below the trunk floor. The 120 V charger also fits if you remove from its case. I installed the spare as my left front tire of my Limited Kona EV with 17" wheels. I drove it around and it drove Great! Good news, until I installed the small spare as my right rear tire. IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front.
If the rear tire has a puncture you can take the front off and put on the rear, then put spare on front! alot of hassle but better than waiting for a tow

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV ultimate
2 Posts
Okay, I received the Kona EV spare tire MIT from Garvey Auto. It is a small spare with Jack & tools, and it does fit in the trunk below the floor if you remove all of the reinforced syrofoam below the trunk floor. The 120 V charger also fits if you remove from its case. I installed the spare as my left front tire of my Limited Kona EV with 17" wheels. I drove it around and it drove Great! Good news, until I installed the small spare as my right rear tire. IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front.
If you get a blow out on a rear tire, can you put the spare on the front and move the front good tire to the rear? That would be better than a 4 hour wait for a tow and a 2 day wait for the tire to get delivered to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size tire/rim did they send you?

QUOTE="RoRo, post: 31380, member: 3416"]
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
404 Posts
One possibility is to pick up an extra Kona EV rim on Ebay. sometimes sellers have these available from totalled cars. The "native" rim of the Kona EV should fit in any position on the car.
Next you can get the correct size tire mounted on this rim, and you end up with a fully usable 5th wheel. The single rim was only 100$. on Ebay.
I did this for 2 of my Sonatas. Got 2 rims, and asked the Town Fare tire guys to save the best 2
"old" tires from my set I was replacing on the car. Some of these were still in pretty good shape, so I ended up getting the rubber for free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One possibility is to pick up an extra Kona EV rim on Ebay. sometimes sellers have these available from totalled cars. The "native" rim of the Kona EV should fit in any position on the car.
Next you can get the correct size tire mounted on this rim, and you end up with a fully usable 5th wheel. The single rim was only 100$. on Ebay.
I did this for 2 of my Sonatas. Got 2 rims, and asked the Town Fare tire guys to save the best 2
"old" tires from my set I was replacing on the car. Some of these were still in pretty good shape, so I ended up getting the rubber for free.
While a full sized spare is definitely preferable from a safety/driving point of view, it won't fit under the boot (trunk) floor. You need a 17 inch space saver spare (with the correct offset and stud pattern, obviously) to fit under the floor. I have a T155/80R17 and it fits the hub and under floor space. Not in the well, but under the floor ok. If you remove the Hyundai foam insert you can then carry a scissor jack, lug nut wrench, etc in the well.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Trunk

Here is my setup. The jack etc is in the Ford foam device in the well under the wheel. The floor sits flat on the wheel, which is from an Aussie Ford FG Falcon.

·
Registered
472 Posts
... can you put the spare on the front and move the front good tire to the rear?
The only potential issue I can see with using a spacesaver on the front not specifically intended for this vehicle is if the wheel offset is different, which will cause a pull to one side relative to driving or braking effort due to the unbalanced scrub radius in the steering geometry. I don't expect it would lead to any damage but it might feel disconcerting if not expected.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts