Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those in Australia, the 17" space saver from the FG falcon fits below the floor and clears all calipers on the rear. You have to remove both foam trays but the gear easily fits back in under the wheel. The tyre size is T155/80R17.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I received the Kona EV spare tire MIT from Garvey Auto. It is a small spare with Jack & tools, and it does fit in the trunk below the floor if you remove all of the reinforced syrofoam below the trunk floor. The 120 V charger also fits if you remove from its case. I installed the spare as my left front tire of my Limited Kona EV with 17" wheels. I drove it around and it drove Great! Good news, until I installed the small spare as my right rear tire. IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front.
So if a blow out occurs in the rear and inflator kit doesn't work find a way to put saver on the front and out the front wheel on the rear it may involve jacking the car twice but better than nothing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Pexcom, much appreciate the Aust info. So you have driven on it, or just put it on and spun it, to check clearance?
This is a good find. Thanks
Hi.

Yes, fitted and lowered and rolled back and forth in the workshop, not driven on the road though.

CHeers
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up the Falcon space saver wheel from a local wrecker for $65. Seems to be a little bit higher than original tyres and maybe the T155/70R17 rather than 80 might be better? But have not fitted it yet so not sure. Still good to have as may be going bush in my Kona EV sometime.
Geoff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up the Falcon space saver wheel from a local wrecker for $65. Seems to be a little bit higher than original tyres and maybe the T155/70R17 rather than 80 might be better? But have not fitted it yet so not sure. Still good to have as may be going bush in my Kona EV sometime.
Geoff
If it sits a little proud, take some air out, the car has a compressor to reinflate if/when needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Geoff
Geoff
Or if you mean taller aka overall diameter, yes it's probably slightly larger than the OE tyre by a few percent, nothing that would be detrimental for a low speed ride to home or the nearesdt tyre shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it sits a little proud, take some air out, the car has a compressor to reinflate if/when needed.
Already done and very happy with result.
Moving on to replace original tyres now. Any experience with alternatives very welcome. Michelin Sports, Primacy or other brands?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts