Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a spare tire for my FW drive Kona EV. Would it need to be the same diameter as my 18" tires? I saw a Kona 16" donut for sale, but it said "not for EV model". Is that just because it wouldn't fit into the well in trunk, or is there some other issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to get a spare tire for my FW drive Kona EV. Would it need to be the same diameter as my 18" tires? I saw a Kona 16" donut for sale, but it said "not for EV model". Is that just because it wouldn't fit into the well in trunk, or is there some other issue?
Thanks
I got the wheel sizes wrong...here is corrected version...
I would like to get a spare tire for my FW drive Kona EV. Would it need to be the same diameter as my 17" tires? I saw a Kona 15" donut for sale, but it said "not for EV model". Is that just because it wouldn't fit into the well in trunk, or is there some other issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I will be interested if you do find an appropriate spare. Feels a little odd not having one doesn't it.
Maybe one of those skinny spares will actually fit in the well and get you home if needed. I might go that way in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  1. Rich I found a spare tire kit at Garvey auto website.. I think it’s called Hyundai shop.com. They assured me that the tire would work even though it didn’t fit in the wheel well. I had called three other Hyundai dealers and gotten conflicting opinions. I contacted Hyundai USA and they were useless they referred me back to Hyundai dealers even though I told them I’ve already contacted several. so I got the kit with mounted tire for $250. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently the space saver spare from the petrol Kona will not fit the EV because of brake pads or something. Will be looking for an option here

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a spare tire kit from the dealer a week or so ago. Had to remove all the styrofoam inserts, but it and the jack kit fit fine in the back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hope I'm wrong but I believe that Kit is for the Gas Kona. My take-away from watching this and other threads re Spare is that the correct size would be T135/80 D17 for the EV. Just a heads-up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone decided to replace the run flat tyres with a standard tyre (plus a spare I assume)? If so, how have you found it? I assume the cost is a bit less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly don't see any issue with the sealant and compressor (instead of a spare). I've used sealant in my motorbike tyres for over 40 years without issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a Nissan Leaf with Michelin tires. I had a freeway tire blowout a couple of years ago. That can of sealant just does not work in this case so I was stuck on the freeway for 4 hours waiting for a tow truck. After this, I ordered a donut spare and Jack. 1 year later my wife on the freeway hit a piece of firewood from a pickup that dented the rim and flattened the tire. She was very happy to have that spare tire in the trunk because again, that can was useless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a spare tire kit from the dealer a week or so ago. Had to remove all the styrofoam inserts, but it and the jack kit fit fine in the back.
Answer is no!!!!! no spare tire will fit on Kona EV 2019,2020, because Caliper in front or rear is bigger. Do not buy will fit in trunk but not on car !!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Answer is no!!!!! no spare tire will fit on Kona EV 2019,2020, because Caliper in front or rear is bigger. Do not buy will fit in trunk but not on car !!!!!
The Garvey Auto website online is selling a spare tire kit for the Kona EV (as mentioned above) for about $250. They say that it fits so I ordered it. I will try it on the car after it arrives and if it doesn't fit I will send it back!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just a heads up, some Hyundai dealers are adding spares for the gas versions and going by what the manual says. The manual only states the smaller spare for the lower series of cars and not the Limited and Ultimate with the larger tires. You MUST look at your tire size and get the outside diameter and do the same with the spare tire.

That being said, Hyundai doesn't list a compact spare for the Limited and Ultimate AWD's, but there is one available with the right diameter if you buy just the tire and fit it to the rim in a swap out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Garvey Auto website online is selling a spare tire kit for the Kona EV (as mentioned above) for about $250. They say that it fits so I ordered it. I will try it on the car after it arrives and if it doesn't fit I will send it back!
Good lock!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I received the Kona EV spare tire MIT from Garvey Auto. It is a small spare with Jack & tools, and it does fit in the trunk below the floor if you remove all of the reinforced syrofoam below the trunk floor. The 120 V charger also fits if you remove from its case. I installed the spare as my left front tire of my Limited Kona EV with 17" wheels. I drove it around and it drove Great! Good news, until I installed the small spare as my right rear tire. IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts