Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for a spare tire for my 21 Limited AWD, and learned a lot from this forum. Thanks!

I just want to report the setup that works for me. I bought the spare tire kit (tire sold separately) SKU J9F40-AK900 from worldoemparts for $132 + $18.74 shipping. Since I live within driving distance from Tirerack, I bought the Falken 145/90 R16 tire from them and had them install it. The tire fits the spare wheel perfectly, and worldoemparts / Ganley asked for my VIN to ensure the wheel is the correct part.

The OEM tire is 235/45 R18, which means the diameter is about 26.33”. The diameter of the 145/90 R16 is about 26.28”. I think the differential can survive 0.05” difference for 50 miles.

Because the rim is a space saver, the entire thing still fits under the foam tray and trunk floor panel. The tire is larger than Hyundai’s OEM spare size, but there’s just enough room for it. The kit comes with a retainer screw and disc. Due to the larger size, the disc can’t sit perfectly centered on the wheel, but it has no problem keeping it immobile.

Automotive tire Rim Line Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking for a spare tire for my 21 Limited AWD, and learned a lot from this forum. Thanks!

I just want to report the setup that works for me. I bought the spare tire kit (tire sold separately) SKU J9F40-AK900 from worldoemparts for $132 + $18.74 shipping. Since I live within driving distance from Tirerack, I bought the Falken 145/90 R16 tire from them and had them install it. The tire fits the spare wheel perfectly, and worldoemparts / Ganley asked for my VIN to ensure the wheel is the correct part.

The OEM tire is 235/45 R18, which means the diameter is about 26.33”. The diameter of the 145/90 R16 is about 26.28”. I think the differential can survive 0.05” difference for 50 miles.

Because the rim is a space saver, the entire thing still fits under the foam tray and trunk floor panel. The tire is larger than Hyundai’s OEM size, but there’s just enough room for it. The kit comes with a retainer screw and disc. Due to the larger size, the disc can’t sit perfectly centered on the wheel, but it has no problem keeping it immobile.

View attachment 6026
Thanks for posting this information. I have a 2019 Ultimate and did not realize no spare until after I got it home. The compressor & can of spray sealant will not do me any good if I get a blowout on the road. I would feel more secure knowing I have a spare tire that will get me to a safety if I get stuck on the road. BTW I'm a senior (not that there's anything wrong with that) but its getting harder to do what used to be routine. The tires on my 2019 Ultimate are 235/45R18 Rims 7.5Jx18. Looks like your set-up will work for the 2019 correct?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting this information. I have a 2019 Ultimate and did not realize no spare until after I got it home. The compressor & can of spray sealant will not do me any good if I get a blowout on the road. I would feel more secure knowing I have a spare tire that will get me to a safety if I get stuck on the road. BTW I'm a senior (not that there's anything wrong with that) but its getting harder to do what used to be routine. The tires on my 2019 Ultimate are 235/45R18 Rims 7.5Jx18. Looks like your set-up will work for the 2019 correct?
Thanks.
I believe the tire size remains the same from 2018 to 2022, so this setup should work for all Konas of any trim within the time period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Boy, this tire stuff is confusing! I've read the various other threads and it appears the 145/90 R16 looks like a perfect fit for the original 235/45 18's. Are all other options besides the 145/90R16 not suitable at all for the 18 inch, AWD case? Even though the dealer still only recommends the T125/80D16? Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy, this tire stuff is confusing! I've read the various other threads and it appears the 145/90 R16 looks like a perfect fit for the original 235/45 18's. Are all other options besides the 145/90R16 not suitable at all for the 18 inch, AWD case? Even though the dealer still only recommends the T125/80D16? Thanks.
The dealer recommends 125/80D16 because that is the original factory specs, which should work ok for FWD models. I believe Hyundai stopped issuing spare tires to AWD Kona and give people the goo kit because the 2.5” difference in diameter is enough to destroy the transmission. If you get the 125/80D16 it will fit perfectly in the trunk and install correctly on the car, but you’re guaranteed to fry the tranny. When they still issued spare tires for AWD Konas, the warranty would cover transmission replacement. Now that they no longer issue the spare, they may not cover you burning it if you use 125/80D16.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealer recommends 125/80D16 because that is the original factory specs, which should work ok for FWD models. I believe Hyundai stopped issuing spare tires to AWD Kona and give people the goo kit because the 2.5” difference in diameter is enough to destroy the transmission. If you get the 125/80D16 it will fit perfectly in the trunk and install correctly on the car, but you’re guaranteed to fry the tranny. When they still issued spare tires for AWD Konas, the warranty would cover transmission replacement. Now that they no longer issue the spare, they may not cover you burning it if you use 125/80D16.
Very clear explanation. Thanks! I think I will buy the kit and then order the Falken tire. One dealer I spoke to confirmed the part number for the kit, but when I asked what tire should I use, he had no idea.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
From previous research there was no "approved" AWD tire installed in the rear tub from the factory. My 2018 AWD Kona had a dealer installed spare. It was money hungry dealers "adding" spare tire I found as the issue. There is a thread on this site that has people commenting on what setups they used to get the proper diameter tire for their SPECIFIC Kona AWD diameter. A Kona AWD Limited/Ultimate/Ironman diameter is different from a Kona SEL AWD.

We go over it HERE

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very clear explanation. Thanks! I think I will buy the kit and then order the Falken tire. One dealer I spoke to confirmed the part number for the kit, but when I asked what tire should I use, he had no idea.
He might be covering himself from liability. As an authorized dealer he must recommend factory spec spare tire, but he also knows that it destroys AWD. He doesn’t want to be on the hook for the repair cost.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From previous research there was no "approved" AWD tire installed in the rear tub from the factory. My 2018 AWD Kona had a dealer installed spare. It was money hungry dealers "adding" spare tire I found as the issue. There is a thread on this site that has people commenting on what setups they used to get the proper diameter tire for their SPECIFIC Kona AWD diameter. A Kona AWD Limited/Ultimate/Ironman diameter is different from a Kona SEL AWD.

We go over it HERE

My 2022 Kona N-Line came from the factory with spare tire. It was not dealer installed because I checked the car right off the truck.

Pat.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

We go over it HERE

Kona SE comes with 205/60R16 tires, so the spare should be 135/90R16. Kona SEL comes with 215/55R17 tires, which are close enough to the total diameter of 235/45R18 that it can use the same 145/90R16 spare.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Kona SE comes with 205/60R16 tires, so the spare should be 135/90R16. Kona SEL comes with 215/55R17 tires, which are close enough to the total diameter of 235/45R18 that it can use the same 145/90R16 spare.
Thanks, I know all that, that was hashed out in 2020. I am wondering what what the "factory" is sending in Sube's N-LIne. 99.9% it is a 145/90R16 spare, but I want to see what the factory is putting in it, not just what we think it is.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, I know all that, that was hashed out in 2020. I am wondering what what the "factory" is sending in Sube's N-LIne. 99.9% it is a 145/90R16 spare, but I want to see what the factory is putting in it, not just what we think it is.
Unless they modified the trunk floor or screw hole, the spare tire would still be the factory spec 125/80D16. My non-spec spare wheel got in there, but technically it’s not a 100% correct fit. Well, perhaps they did the change when they refreshed the body styling for 2022.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Unless they modified the trunk floor or screw hole, the spare tire would still be the factory spec 125/80D16. My non-spec spare wheel got in there, but technically it’s not a 100% correct fit. Well, perhaps they did the change when they refreshed the body styling for 2022.
What the "temporary spare" size is or should be, has nothing to do with size the trunk tub size or where the bolt down receiver thread location is. It has everything to do with the matching the factory specific tire on the delivered car. They may of modified the tub in the new 2022 , but that means nothing to at least 4+years of Kona's that it appears have the original designed tubs and thread location. The spare MUST have the proper spare tire size relating to specific factory speced tire size on the delivered car. So the spare would have a ZERO chance of being a 125/80 16 in an AWD N-Line Kona as all N-Line Kona's get 235/45 18 rims and tires. Hyundai's maximum deviation of tire size diameter or the 4 mounted tires on an AWD car is 2mm or .078 or 5/64. Meaning, a 1mm or .039or 2.5/64 "tread death deviation", when using the easier and more commonly used way of watching tire wear.

My 215/60 16 full sized spare fits inside my 2018 tub with the top slide in floor 100% flush, with zero floor rise.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What the "temporary spare" size is or should be, has nothing to do with size the trunk tub size or where the bolt down receiver thread location is. It has everything to do with the matching the factory specific tire on the delivered car. They may of modified the tub in the new 2022 , but that means nothing to at least 4+years of Kona's that it appears have the original designed tubs and thread location. The spare MUST have the proper spare tire size relating to specific factory speced tire size on the delivered car. So the spare would have a ZERO chance of being a 125/80 16 in an AWD N-Line Kona as all N-Line Kona's get 235/45 18 rims and tires. Hyundai's maximum deviation of tire size diameter or the 4 mounted tires on an AWD car is 2mm or .078 or 5/64. Meaning, a 1mm or .039or 2.5/64 "tread death deviation", when using the easier and more commonly used way of watching tire wear.

My 215/60 16 full sized spare fits inside my 2018 tub with the top slide in floor 100% flush, with zero floor rise.

So, without actually seeing a spare for the 2022 Kona N-Line, you’re going to assume that it can’t be the factory spec 125/80D16? Ok.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts