Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Presently in the hunt for my first car new or used car. After a couple of weeks of obsessing, reading and watching reviews and reports, I keep going back to the Kona as likely potential winner for what I basically I seek. In particular the 1.6L Turbo trims. I will be starting hitting dealerships in the next week or so, and Kona will be on top of list to test. After friends and a parent telling I am overthinking it, it was suggested that I find a forum for the car to help provide more insight. So here I am. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am really enjoying my Kona and this is coming from a Honda Civic girl. I wish you luck and enjoy if you decide to purchase a Kona. Lots of good information through out the forum, so if you have any concerns or questions please reach out or search the forum for anything and the community will reach out to you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello! Presently in the hunt for my first car new or used car. After a couple of weeks of obsessing, reading and watching reviews and reports, I keep going back to the Kona as likely potential winner for what I basically I seek. In particular the 1.6L Turbo trims. I will be starting hitting dealerships in the next week or so, and Kona will be on top of list to test. After friends and a parent telling I am overthinking it, it was suggested that I find a forum for the car to help provide more insight. So here I am. :)
Try Auto Trader.com or the Canadian equivalent, and it will give you a good idea of what is available within whatever radius you want to travel. I was supprised to find quite a few Limited and Ultimate trims (1.6T in the USA) within a 200 mile radius. We love ours! Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After a year I am still happy with my "19 Ultimate. Currently at 11k miles with 35 mpg. Had an issue at 4k miles which the dealer promptly dealt with and none since. If you want a small, responsive vehicle with good gas mileage and stable tech options, the Kona provides. More importantly, it does everything I need it to do. It accelerates well and stops safely. The heads up display has become my new best friend and the driver assist tech works with just the right amount of assertiveness: enough to keep me focused, but not too much.

I have owned dozens of cars (from tiny sports cars to large SUVs and everything in between) and this one is near and maybe even at the top of that long list for my daily driving. It's become my Goldilocks car: not too big, not too small, Just Right!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe list out the specific things that you're looking for in a new car?
-Where do you do most of your driving? City? Highway? Rural?
-What kind of size
-Specific features you're looking for
-Price range
-What dealerships are in your area? This should be a key consideration for buying new.

If you can drop the turbo / AWD requirements perhaps look at the Venue. Very good contender for a first car

Also I see you're from Canada. Calgary checking in here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Venue is muggly, which I got to see close up along with the other cars. Anyway, as of yesterday, signed the papers for a Kona Trend, which I will receive next week or so to do the agreed additions and changes. I had a friend with me who knew about cars and shopping for one more than I did to help out, asking questions and elaborating stuff I missed or misunderstood.

Aside from the stuff I did not previously considered or knew it could be an option, i've gotten literally my first choice and what I have expected after all of the research and overthinking. Like I knew not having a sunroof would have made a difference in headspace, and that overall seating and spacing not much different in comparison to the Tucson which I also tried.

I sought an AWD because of being Canada, and winter, and option to go explore/adventure a bit. It just makes complete sense to have to me. Same with the 1.6L turbo, as most of the stats i've seen in reports and reviews, has better fuel economy on average vs the 2.0L, along with bit more power. Understandably, may not last as long, so we will see. Hyundai has quite a long warranty, along with what the dealership provides.

Now in the insurance hunting stage. Yay more stuff to overthink and research! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, Kanetix literally went, Nope, none of our partners wanna insure you. Playing with settings, got one place, and that place tells me monthly payment is rare for Alberta, and can only do one year. They also gave me the second highest quote thus far.

Why? All because I've never had car insurance before and clean/no record despite having my license for nearly twenty years. Sigh.

Whatever insurance I end up getting, will be treating this Kona really amazingly well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whole insurance thing was fun, but decided on the one the dealership referred, and bundled it. I got the pink papers and started receiving emails from Hyundai and a satellite radio trial subscription. Current eta is this coming saturday, so I am looking forward to it. Feeling a bit strange at the idea of having a car, yet going to be fun experience which I will appreciate, combined with some caution after hearing about a couple of people getting into separate different accidents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was so hoping to spend a chunk of this Alberta long weekend getting to know the Kona, but it is still not ready. One more week or less. Sigh. :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts