Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mate,

Would you please provide the details of the guys who did the tune on your Kona and provide a ballpark costing if possible. Not sure when Covid will permit me to drive down but it'd be good to know.

I've never had a tune done. How long does it take? Is it an iterative process where they tweek the tune periodically or is it a set and forget.

Appreciate your response. Thanx

Ian
It's a piggy back chip that goes in before the ECU and modifies the input signals. This way when you go in for service it can be taken out in 3 minutes. Like it was never there. Its made by TDI Tuning over in the UK. So far I am very happy with the performance of the vehicle and if you can keep your foot out of the throttle there is improvement in gas mileage.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
25 Posts
It's a piggy back chip that goes in before the ECU and modifies the input signals. This way when you go in for service it can be taken out in 3 minutes. Like it was never there. Its made by TDI Tuning over in the UK. So far I am very happy with the performance of the vehicle and if you can keep your foot out of the throttle there is improvement in gas mileage.
Thanx mate.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
TDI buys hardware from DTE Systems and private labels it. It might be TDI's tune, but the hardware is 100% DTE, they own 80% of the piggyback market. RaceChip is DTE Systems hardware but they will deny it to their grave. But it still is DTE hardware. Sixth Element Engineering's piggyback is 100% DTE hardware. Again, they all deny it. That's like putting a Toyota badge on a Kona and saying it is a Toyota when you just need to look at it and say, that is a Kona.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 had its first turbo replacement at 35,000miles. I had strange symptoms that were so intermittent that it was undiagnosable from about 25k until the day the turbine snapped. The code did not appear until that day, it initially came up with a false cylinder misfire which they played off as a software problem and the day it blew it finally had a pending turbo code. When it finally went, the first dealer I brought it to did nothing actually do anything for diag and said I had a blown motor and did nothing for 5 weeks. I towed it again to another dealer that actually listened and had it diagnosed correctly in 1/2 hr and car back in 3 days. I now have 38,500 miles and now starting to experience the same initial symptoms as I did the first time. I have an appointment to get my oil changed and diagnose the symptoms and I haven’t even hit my 5k on the first oil change since the replacement. Maybe I got a bad egg....

Here are the intermittent symptoms for anyone that may wonder or experience odd behavior.

Starts with occasional almost stalling when put into drive, then it will have a loss of power periodically always while taking a turn into traffic or lane change so you look like an a** when your car almost stalls, then you get a strange clank only noticeable when in line at a drive-through or in traffic when you go from a stop and try to pull forward, then it will rev in drive as if in neutral and ultimately will leave you unable to get up a hill or go above 11mph. All these symptoms were so intermittent that no one could replicate and I was the crazy one... till I wasn’t.
Good luck!

Turbos are nothing new when it comes to cars yet when I read about people talking about the turbo on the Kona it's like they're describing the plague in a fearful way.

I think it's a falsified take on possible issues that could arise (but most likely don't or not anytime soon) on a Kona with a turbo but that's without any real evidence or first hand experience. So I'd like to hear feedback on everyone who has an older Kona with a Turbo and how their engine has held up (or exploded) over the course of the past 3-4 years.

If you have a 1.6T in a '17 - '19 Kona, how do you feel about your tiny turbo engine that could and how has it treated you? Any particular regrets or are you still "lovin' it" ?

Cheers!
😀
My

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
My 2019 had its first turbo replacement at 35,000miles. I had strange symptoms that were so intermittent that it was undiagnosable from about 25k until the day the turbine snapped. The code did not appear until that day, it initially came up with a false cylinder misfire which they played off as a software problem and the day it blew it finally had a pending turbo code. When it finally went, the first dealer I brought it to did nothing actually do anything for diag and said I had a blown motor and did nothing for 5 weeks. I towed it again to another dealer that actually listened and had it diagnosed correctly in 1/2 hr and car back in 3 days. I now have 38,500 miles and now starting to experience the same initial symptoms as I did the first time. I have an appointment to get my oil changed and diagnose the symptoms and I haven’t even hit my 5k on the first oil change since the replacement. Maybe I got a bad egg....

Here are the intermittent symptoms for anyone that may wonder or experience odd behavior.

Starts with occasional almost stalling when put into drive, then it will have a loss of power periodically always while taking a turn into traffic or lane change so you look like an a** when your car almost stalls, then you get a strange clank only noticeable when in line at a drive-through or in traffic when you go from a stop and try to pull forward, then it will rev in drive as if in neutral and ultimately will leave you unable to get up a hill or go above 11mph. All these symptoms were so intermittent that no one could replicate and I was the crazy one... till I wasn’t.
Good luck!

My
i m not a mechanic by any means, but id find it odd to have two turbos go out. ,maybe theres something else going on, hyundais the worst service ive ever had to use but i love my kona limited

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts

Good luck!

My
that sounds more like a problem with the DCT especially since it happens from a stop or creeping along.. strange..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts