Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbos are nothing new when it comes to cars yet when I read about people talking about the turbo on the Kona it's like they're describing the plague in a fearful way.

I think it's a falsified take on possible issues that could arise (but most likely don't or not anytime soon) on a Kona with a turbo but that's without any real evidence or first hand experience. So I'd like to hear feedback on everyone who has an older Kona with a Turbo and how their engine has held up (or exploded) over the course of the past 3-4 years.

If you have a 1.6T in a '17 - '19 Kona, how do you feel about your tiny turbo engine that could and how has it treated you? Any particular regrets or are you still "lovin' it" ?

Cheers!
馃榾

Super Moderator
When a turbo engine is designed from the start, there is NO reason why it can鈥檛 be a long lived reliable component.
Water cooled ,continuous oiled bearings , oil cooled pistons sprayed from below, proper sized IC and radiator all will contribute to a long life. A bit more maintenance is required and some precautions such as proper warmup and cool downs.. Should allow the turbo to last the life of the car.. You can abuse a non turbo motor and make it fail before it鈥檚 time..
This September will be 3 years with the 1.6t and its working and performing as new..

Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
Turbos are nothing new when it comes to cars yet when I read about people talking about the turbo on the Kona it's like they're describing the plague in a fearful way.

I think it's a falsified take on possible issues that could arise (but most likely don't or not anytime soon) on a Kona with a turbo but that's without any real evidence or first hand experience. So I'd like to hear feedback on everyone who has an older Kona with a Turbo and how their engine has held up (or exploded) over the course of the past 3-4 years.

If you have a 1.6T in a '17 - '19 Kona, how do you feel about your tiny turbo engine that could and how has it treated you? Any particular regrets or are you still "lovin' it" ?

Cheers!
馃榾
Still lovin' it.

My 2019 1.6T only has 25k km on the clock so its early days yet. Also, I've only owned the car for 6 months during which time I've put 9k on it. Certainly no issues during my ownership and none during the first owner's 16k km as far as I'm aware.

The Kona replaces both my Mazda 6, 2.2 lt twin turbo diesel and my wifes 2.5 lt Mazda 3 Astina and it has more grunt than both. It's also far faster than the 2lt Mazda Miata I used to own but unfortunately not quite as much fun the drive.

No regrets although I do miss the radar cruise control and flappy paddle shifters.

Registered
Still lovin' it.

My 2019 1.6T only has 25k km on the clock so its early days yet. Also, I've only owned the car for 6 months during which time I've put 9k on it. Certainly no issues during my ownership and none during the first owner's 16k km as far as I'm aware.

The Kona replaces both my Mazda 6, 2.2 lt twin turbo diesel and my wifes 2.5 lt Mazda 3 Astina and it has more grunt than both. It's also far faster than the 2lt Mazda Miata I used to own but unfortunately not quite as much fun the drive.

No regrets although I do miss the radar cruise control and flappy paddle shifters.
Yeah, paddle shifters on a Kona would be great. The control of manual shifting with the better safety of hands on the wheel.

Registered
Yeah, paddle shifters on a Kona would be great. The control of manual shifting with the better safety of hands on the wheel.
You can't have everything tho and with the Kona, the AWD and creature comforts like powered, heated and cooled front seats and heated steering wheel were the deciding factors for me.

Those paddle shifters were really great on the M6 tho, particularly when cruising on the hwy and I wanted to pass. No need to move the shifter across to manual mode, just a couple of quick taps on the shifter and a boot full of loud peddle and whatever I was overtaking was disappearing in the mirror. That diesel redlined at only 5k rpm tho but the turbo got it there really quickly!

I was watching a video on this forum of a Kona N on the track somewhere in Asia I think, and it looked like it had paddle shifters.

Registered
VALVES 2.jpg

Other than a faulty (so far) Bosch spark plug destroying a valve, and scoring the #3 Cylinder, it's going great!

Jokes aside, I do miss my Kona as it is in the shop for lord knows how long, and I am praying the debris did not impact the impeller on the turbo.

Registered
View attachment 5681

Other than a faulty (so far) Bosch spark plug destroying a valve, and scoring the #3 Cylinder, it's going great!

Jokes aside, I do miss my Kona as it is in the shop for lord knows how long, and I am praying the debris did not impact the impeller on the turbo.
What a bummer! Was the Bosch plug oem? Under warranty? I really hope so. Fingers crossed the damage is localised and debris did'nt travel further. Ill take your advice and stay away from Bosch.

I remember working on an 80s model Mazda 626 coupe which suffered a broken rocker. It happened when I started the engine from cold and I shut it down real quick.

I removed the broken rocker and whatever bits I could locate in the top end. Then I dropped the oil, removed the oil pan and, using the other debris I located there, put the rocker jigsaw back together as best as I could to assure myself that I had all the bits. Fortunately there were no really small bits missing and it had just shattered into a few large chunks. Turned out I had managed to locate it all and there were no chunks jammed in an oil journal or whatever. It was very worrying when I started it up after the rebuild but it was OK thankfully.

Hope you have similar good luck mate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know where it was but I remember reading about there being counterfeit Bosch Iridiums being sold at some point. Don't remember the specifics but the story comes to mind after reading your post. Were they Iridiums?

Super Moderator
View attachment 5681

Ouch ! I thought they would have used gapless type plugs on turbo motors.. Tough job being a spark plug electrode, especially in a turbo motor. A bit of detonation or ping can wreck havoc on plugs.. Good
luck with your repairs !

Registered
I don't know where it was but I remember reading about there being counterfeit Bosch Iridiums being sold at some point. Don't remember the specifics but the story comes to mind after reading your post. Were they Iridiums?
It is Iridium, but I mean kudos to the imitators if it is one, the packaging is perfect, and the stamped Part Number and "germany" on the hex looks great.

Registered
What a bummer! Was the Bosch plug oem? Under warranty? I really hope so. Fingers crossed the damage is localised and debris did'nt travel further. Ill take your advice and stay away from Bosch.

I remember working on an 80s model Mazda 626 coupe which suffered a broken rocker. It happened when I started the engine from cold and I shut it down real quick.

I removed the broken rocker and whatever bits I could locate in the top end. Then I dropped the oil, removed the oil pan and, using the other debris I located there, put the rocker jigsaw back together as best as I could to assure myself that I had all the bits. Fortunately there were no really small bits missing and it had just shattered into a few large chunks. Turned out I had managed to locate it all and there were no chunks jammed in an oil journal or whatever. It was very worrying when I started it up after the rebuild but it was OK thankfully.

Hope you have similar good luck mate.
Stay away... for now. I am leaning towards just one bad plug as all the rest look extremely clean still, and it's just the one with a broken grounding electrode, and melted nose. Not OEM, but it is the correct replacement according to Bosch, so now they are doing an investigation, and may be liable if they can't find evidence the engine caused the damage.

Registered
2018 Kona limited.
As much as i beat on my 1.6t, no issues. Maintenance is important. Use proper high quality oil, filter, and coolant. I also have a pair of OCC's, and yearly drain/flush/fill the coolant system. Im also using a larger than stock turbo oil drain line, and have it heat sleeved because its so close to the exhaust system.

Registered
I've owned a 2018 1.6T Active for just over a year now.
It had just under 40K kms on the clock when I bought it and now its done just over 60K kms.
It's been great and trouble free - the torque is brilliant.
It's just a super fun stop light pocket rocket.
Love the responsiveness and mid-range urge.
I did some research and found a local tuning firm here in Melbourne Oz that could re-map it.
Their data seemed to be based on an English firm that had great results remapping Velosters.
It's fabulous - super reponsive and the torque is incredible now - so much fun!
I've had no issues at all.
I chucked some decent wheels on it too, as I reckon this will be my last petrol engined car before I go electric.
So I'm going to enjoy it.

Attachments

Registered
No issues. 2018 limited AWD Turbo. Coming up on 3 years. Drives like new. No complaints! Very happy Kona owner馃

Registered
The little car is a blast to drive.
I have a 2019 Ultimate AWD 1.6T, I enjoy it every time I get in it. It's coming up on 37000 miles a still performs great. Have the air intake coming this week and the chip to up the horsepower. So we will see how it goes from there.

Registered
What brand and model air intake are you putting on?
Is the upgraded air intake for power, appearance, or (hopefully) both?

The little car is a blast to drive.
I have a 2019 Ultimate AWD 1.6T, I enjoy it every time I get in it. It's coming up on 37000 miles a still performs great. Have the air intake coming this week and the chip to up the horsepower. So we will see how it goes from there.
View attachment 5707

Registered
What brand and model air intake are you putting on?
Is the upgraded air intake for power, appearance, or (hopefully) both?
I'm looking for both, a smoother look and an increase in performance. It's the Short Ram Air Intake System (IS1345BLK) by Injen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts