Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess it's more a function of SUV's, the rear ends flipping out talking to other who have SUV's even with snow tires such as Surkas mentioned. I guess that's why SUV's have such high rollover rates with the higher center of gravity.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Partially, but again it doesn't matter if you have snow treads or all season on ice. AWD, RWD & FWD are all the same on ice. There is no traction to be gained, as there is no friction developed between the icy surface and the rubber.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
:grin:I hear you for sure.

blessings and Peace

·
Registered
7 Posts
you guys that have awd and snow tires.
where they installed on stock wheels or aftermarket.
if aftermarket was there tpms installed on the wheels,

thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
you guys that have awd and snow tires.
where they installed on stock wheels or aftermarket.
if aftermarket was there tpms installed on the wheels,

thanks
I bit the bullet and bought 18" snow tires ($$ ouch) for the stock rims and switch them out seasonally. But others have gone to spare 16" (I believe) rims and installed TPMS sensors and had no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does Kona AWD go in snow w/o Snow Tires ?

How does an AWD Kona drive in the snow with All-Season tires (not snow tires) ? I'm looking to buy a high-mileage vehicle and hoping the AWD eliminated the need for snow tires? I live in southeast Michigan. We get snow but not as extensive as the mountain states. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How does an AWD Kona drive in the snow with All-Season tires (not snow tires) ? I'm looking to buy a high-mileage vehicle and hoping the AWD eliminated the need for snow tires? I live in southeast Michigan. We get snow but not as extensive as the mountain states. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm the the PNW and I say it's light to moderate snow, however I travel over the mountain passes and it can get icy/dicey at times. My 2019 Ultimate AWD handles great! I put on 19" snow tires and rotate off the all-seasons. We get quite a bit of rain so the all-seasons are on 3/4 of the year. My trick...I keep an electric air pump in the trunk and when the ice and snow get to making the car slip a little, I lower the tire pressure to 28 psi. (34psi recommended). This gives me a bit softer tire and slightly larger footprint. As soon as i'm out of the snow and ice, I pull over and put the pressure back up to 34psi (I can re-inflate all four in under four minutes. You can do the same with all seasons, but it's a harder tire so I would reduce your speed additionally. This trick works great when the roads turn to ice skating rinks. However...I know I'm preaching to the choir, but- you do this at your own risk. I do not condone driving in hazardous conditions, stay home and drink beers on bad days. :wink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Did you buy separate rims?
Nope, I bout broke the bank buying 19" snow tires... In all seriousness, by the time you buy 16" rims, tires and TPMS sensors, you've spent close to $800-$1200 anyways...some people have gotten good deals on used rims, but I really like the stock rims so I spent the $.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2018 Kona SE AWD came with Nexen Npriz AH8 205 60 r16 92H tires and when all the FWD cars were getting stuck in the middle of the I25 highway in Colorado I got home just fine.

They are good, inexpensive, all season tires that came with the stock 16 inch rims on my SE. And the rims don't look bad either ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's been fine so far in northern BC canada. It's really grippy
I am up in Fort Nelson BC and my KONA has been amazing! Snow, Ice, Slush and Mud all in one day with no problem. I know they tote the Kona as the perfect SUV for the city (which pisses me off) this vehicle is very comfortable outside the city and off the pavement. Biggest down fall is the clearance height.

·
Super Moderator
268 Posts
I am up in Fort Nelson BC and my KONA has been amazing! Snow, Ice, Slush and Mud all in one day with no problem. I know they tote the Kona as the perfect SUV for the city (which pisses me off) this vehicle is very comfortable outside the city and off the pavement. Biggest down fall is the clearance height.
It's designed to be able to get up snowy driveways.
It's not meant to be a offroader!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's designed to be able to get up snowy driveways.
It's not meant to be a offroader!
Maybe where you live, but not where I live. My Kona has been amazing offroad. The Kona is designed for more then snow driveways. It does have AWD and the 4 wheel lock. I have personally driven up a gravel roads on a mountain in Alaska, snow covered roads in Northern BC, muddy and snowy lease and logging roads and horrendous backcountry trails. It handles it all with ease.
20190806_201203.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
i live on lake huron in a snow belt where we count snow by the foot, and i have to say with good WINTER tires(went down to 16" steel rims and no it doesn't have sensors), not all seasons, it's fantastic. i'm rural, so like saskdevil, mine goes on dirt roads, what would be considered logging roads(we own a garage and mine is used for parts/customer pick up/drop off as well as normal driving), roads that are more patches and potholes than roads, over creeks etc(we're really rural). the "toy" as it's nicknamed(compared to our ram it's so tiny), has only rarely slid a little in the back for me, but that might be because i usually have some weight back there.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts