Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Nothing is really great on ice but on snow the AWD has an advantage. However, driven correctly a FWD or RWD with adequate winter rated tires are fine.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
191 Posts
We are having an unusually mild winter so far here in the northern Rockies where I live, but so far my AWD Kona with snow tires has been flawless. I'd like to see what it does in a foot or so of fresh snow but that may not happen this winter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It bottoms out a bit but it's still a beast in a foot of snow or more. I didn't have any trouble getting around when the town here was almost shut down.

Im in the Canadian Rockies

·
Registered
236 Posts
Toyo Observe studless winter tires. This is my second season with them and I have never been stuck or felt like I was at risk when crossing mountain passes with snow and ice. They even look pretty nice on my 2019 Kona Ultimate.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
We've gotten some snow where I live (northwestern Montana) finally and so far the Kona has been great. I do have the AWD version, but I haven't seen it actually use that yet (I assume a light on the dash would flash as with most all other part-time AWD cars). I am also using snow tires. Nothing like a foot, but we did have about 6" of fresh snow the other morning.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I sure don't care for Hyundai's "Nanny" DCT transmission decoupler that kicks it out of gear if you get any high rpm when trying to drift. This is EVEN with both ABS and stabilization disabled. BOO HOO Hyundai!!

·
Super Moderator
846 Posts
I sure don't care for Hyundai's "Nanny" DCT transmission decoupler that kicks it out of gear if you get any high rpm when trying to drift. This is EVEN with both ABS and stabilization disabled. BOO HOO Hyundai!!
I’m no nanny fan... but on this type of car and with a DCT ... it’s a wise move on Hyundai’s part...
Too many variables to deal with on an automated manual that are designed for that type of driving..
You need a more robust DCT with wet clutches.. At best.. a real manual tranny..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has AWD and all season tires. It was great in the fresh snow, but with the severe cold everything has turned to ice. I find myself drifting around corners when turning, don't know if this because it is so light in the rear end or the short wheel base? It shocked me the first time as I wasn't going very fast, but now I am used to it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Soft winter tires on mine (non studded). Fresh powder dropping on the PNW right now, I'm in the high desert part and we have 10" and rising. I just went for beers and munchies and my Kona in AWD did just fine. Also, the front windscreen cover keeps the snow from icing up the wipers between re-stocking trips.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AOHYT50

·
Registered
191 Posts
We've accumulated enough snow and ice here in NW Montana that I'm getting a good idea of how my AWD Kona (with snow tires) handles it. I have been a bit surprised at how much the rear end slips around. It's not a lot but a bit more than I expected. One thing I have been able to confirm is that the AWD light does NOT come on when that engages on its own - the manual makes that clear. The only indicator you will see is if the traction control engages - there a light flashes. So far I still haven't seen that happen. All in all I feel very comfortable driving the car in these conditions.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Mine has AWD and all season tires. It was great in the fresh snow, but with the severe cold everything has turned to ice. I find myself drifting around corners when turning, don't know if this because it is so light in the rear end or the short wheel base? It shocked me the first time as I wasn't going very fast, but now I am used to it.
I think you'll find this typical on any AWD on ice and for that matter any FWD or RWD also.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good so I am not the only one noticing that, my wife drove it once and it spun her around so thats the end of driving it in the winter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts