Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what the owner's manual says. I would like to get a 3rd smart key, but is it possible? Is there a work around? Just wondering if anyone has faced this issue when there are multiple drivers in the family all frequently using the 2019 Kona Electric. Thanks. .....Rickker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hang the car key by the entrance when done.
That was not helpful. I am asking if there is a way to get a 3rd working smartkey. It is a complicated family issue where hanging keys in the front hall does not work. We need a 3rd key. There was never a problem getting "unsmart" keys cut in the old days. Why are we limited to only 2 smartkeys?

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is a question you should probably ask the dealership since they would be the ones to code the third key.

·
Super Moderator
477 Posts
That was not helpful. I am asking if there is a way to get a 3rd working smartkey. It is a complicated family issue where hanging keys in the front hall does not work. We need a 3rd key. There was never a problem getting "unsmart" keys cut in the old days. Why are we limited to only 2 smartkeys?
Just wondering if anyone has faced this issue when there are multiple drivers in the family all frequently using the 2019 Kona Electric. Thanks. .....Rickker
You asked how people deal with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, there is a misunderstanding about what I am trying to accomplish. There can only be two smartkeys registered to a specific vehicle. If you lose a key, you can get a replacement, for about $200 or so, but you can not get a third key registered to the vehicle. Dealers are not able, or are unwilling to do that. What I was looking for, is to be able to get a digital duplicate of one of the keys. So there would be two physical keys, but be programmed to be the same. To register the same way to the vehicle. You can only use one key at a time. I was just posting this in case someone had attempted some kind of a workaround like this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the dealer won't do it because it is a Hyundai directive then you are out of luck barring any grey market way of doing it or you tell the dealership you lost a key and hope that the replacement key doesn't void one of the other keys. It honestly sounds like the path of least resistance for you is to find a way to make two keys work for your household.

Or you could buy a BMW, one of the new ones that can use an iPhone as a digital key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It honestly sounds like the path of least resistance for you is to find a way to make two keys work for your household.

- Yes, this is what we will do. Strange though, why Hyundai would put on this limit of only 2 keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Umm, may I suggest going to a locksmith and asking them to do so? I know I have managed to get a third key on every vehicle (including smart keys) by doing so and it is actually strongly recommended that you do so, as getting a third key and having it programmed usually only cost $30-$50 vs the $200+ that the dealer charges when there is only one key and you are forced into going to the dealer to get the second key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Umm, may I suggest going to a locksmith and asking them to do so? I

This will not work. I am not talking about the physical key, rather the electronic module that is used to access and start the vehicle. I doubt very much that any locksmith can do the needed programming. Certainly none I have ever used. Only a Hyundai dealer or a high level hacker can do this. Certainly the mechanical key, inside the module, can be copied and cut. But this would only allow locking/unlocking the door, but nothing else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Umm, may I suggest going to a locksmith and asking them to do so? I

This will not work. I am not talking about the physical key, rather the electronic module that is used to access and start the vehicle. I doubt very much that any locksmith can do the needed programming. Certainly none I have ever used. Only a Hyundai dealer or a high level hacker can do this. Certainly the mechanical key, inside the module, can be copied and cut. But this would only allow locking/unlocking the door, but nothing else.
I have done this for a Nissan Leaf and a Ford CMAX Energi, both with push button start and this is the keyfob, they were able to do all of the programming quite easily and assured me they could handle any make or model. It is a lot more expensive if you only have one key fob than if you have two though and in some cases they can't do it if you only have one keyfob, but can if you have two already. Just look for locksmiths that say they can do keyfobs on Yelp in your area, if you were in Southern California, I could point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is what the owner's manual says. I would like to get a 3rd smart key, but is it possible? Is there a work around? Just wondering if anyone has faced this issue when there are multiple drivers in the family all frequently using the 2019 Kona Electric. Thanks. .....Rickker
The dealer gave me a third fob for my Kona 2019 SEL but only because I told him I wouldn't buy the car unless he did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts