Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 SEL AWD that only has 5,500 miles on it and the coolant is already below minimum level. Every once in awhile you do get that syrup smell of coolant but I haven't been able to see any spots where it's leaking from. Has to be pretty small.
Anyone else experiencing an abnormal amount of coolant loss?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
671 Posts
I have a 2018 SEL AWD that only has 5,500 miles on it and the coolant is already below minimum level. Every once in awhile you do get that syrup smell of coolant but I haven't been able to see any spots where it's leaking from. Has to be pretty small.
Anyone else experiencing an abnormal amount of coolant loss?
When you checked the level, was the engine hot or cold?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked cold as when the car was first purchased it was always near the full level when cold so using that as the guide to determine loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i also encountered a similiar situation .i didnt check my coolant when i bought it but at 3000km i notice my coolant was dead on at minimum level .so either there is a leak or its been near dat level when bought...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did you smell the coolant last winter, might be your heater.

Don't add any coolant before you take it in for warranty, unless you have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
checked hot .no decrease in coolant so far after i refill it to max .hopefully its just that they forgot to refill the coolant at factory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Calgary Alberta here.. 2020 konz SL. Finding coolant in the drive way. Dealership said no findings of my concern , hour later levels low and spot growing in driveway. If I can't trust the dealership ,, who can I find to figure this out ? And is this a warranty type of repair. ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Calgary Alberta here.. 2020 konz SL. Finding coolant in the drive way. Dealership said no findings of my concern , hour later levels low and spot growing in driveway. If I can't trust the dealership ,, who can I find to figure this out ? And is this a warranty type of repair. ???
2950km did all recomendations today , And coolant still an issue.. :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
@Kathy& casper,
you should take a photo of the coolant puddle on your driveway and start documenting the number of instances you took the car to the dealership in an attempt to correct this problem. I agree with you that the dealership should be the best authority to fix the problem... the fact that they can't figure out if a coolant hose/line is leaking is very troublesome.
The warranty is called "bumper to bumper" for a reason. This wouldn't (and shouldn't) fall under the "wear item" or "maintenance" umbrella of non-warranty. Moreover, you as a owner shouldn't even be concerned about coolant for 100,000 miles or 10 years - according to Hyundai's own Maintenance Schedule!
The cooling system therefore should be warranted for at least the duration of the Basic warranty - 60,000 miles/5 years.
I don't think they're stupid, it sounds as they don't want to address it unless they really see a drip while they work on it.
It might be as simple as a hose clamp loose, but if they didn't find it or didn't see any traces of coolant around, then of course they couldn't confirm your findings.
Jesus...not even 3000 KM on board...so disheartening

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
671 Posts
Wait, Most of you have the 2.0L engine. Thats the issue. On the 2.0L, its a coolant overflow bottle, not a reservoir like on the 1.6t. The difference is, an overflow bottle is just that, a bottle to capture coolant overflow. As coolant heats up it expands, causing a buildup of pressure, that pressure has to go somewhere, and gets released into the bottle. The bottle should be nearly empty most of the time, if its near max, there is an issue, or someone doesn't understand the purpose of the bottle and filled it up.

On the 1.6t, its a coolant reservoir, that has a pressure cap, and several hoses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Kathy& casper,
you should take a photo of the coolant puddle on your driveway and start documenting the number of instances you took the car to the dealership in an attempt to correct this problem. I agree with you that the dealership should be the best authority to fix the problem... the fact that they can't figure out if a coolant hose/line is leaking is very troublesome.
The warranty is called "bumper to bumper" for a reason. This wouldn't (and shouldn't) fall under the "wear item" or "maintenance" umbrella of non-warranty. Moreover, you as a owner shouldn't even be concerned about coolant for 100,000 miles or 10 years - according to Hyundai's own Maintenance Schedule!
The cooling system therefore should be warranted for at least the duration of the Basic warranty - 60,000 miles/5 years.
I don't think they're stupid, it sounds as they don't want to address it unless they really see a drip while they work on it.
It might be as simple as a hose clamp loose, but if they didn't find it or didn't see any traces of coolant around, then of course they couldn't confirm your findings.
Jesus...not even 3000 KM on board...so disheartening
Thank you. I have been and will continue with pics.. For my first new car , I m enjoying the kona. Researching tires , for the road noise . It did not seem loud through the excitement of test driving . But my half hour commute to work has me questioning my ears. Any suggestions ,,would love to hear .. ty all again for being here in the forum..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I lease a 2019. Work as an Auto Tech. Mine was low when Hot. Topped it up. Now when Cold, It looks overfilled. Wonder if the lines on the bottle are Inaccurate?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
671 Posts
I lease a 2019. Work as an Auto Tech. Mine was low when Hot. Topped it up. Now when Cold, It looks overfilled. Wonder if the lines on the bottle are Inaccurate?

No, its an overfill bottle. Your not supposed to add any coolant to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts