Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really a pity, that Seat (of Volkswagen) doesn't sell in the U.S. - Cupra Leon (hot hatch or Station), Cupra Ateca (SUV) or Formentor (SUV Coupe) - all available with 300hp and AWD, the Formentor as a Limited Edition even with the Audi 400hp 5cyl.. And all that (except the 5 cyl. of course) priced in the range of Hyundai.
But still looking forward to my Kona N 😈

·
Registered
58 Posts
That Corolla GR is hideous up front. I didn't think it could be done, but Toyota managed to out-ugly the new Supra.
It's WAY past time for Toyota to totally clean house and bring in a fresh design department to save face...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There's literally nothing that appeals to me with that.
I kinda agree. They epiclly failed big time by not having box flare sheet metal like the red car above. North America will get the non-box flared version at $ 2,000 more and all of Europe and Australia will get the box flared version. ALWAYS the cheapskate smit with these cars. Key futures like AWD in a Kona N that would double sales. Box flares on the GR Corolla AWD would triple sales. It is SO uninspiring who would want it? Kona N AWD $ 1,400 option. Box flare sheet metal, just a guess $800-$1,000. Both the LACK of foresight $800 to $1,400 options that the customer will be paying for anyway, they WRECKED both those cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AWD costs money. If a car costs more than £40K in the UK then there is a serious Tax burden for the first 6 years of a vehicles lifespan. Hyundai is delivering a decent FWD (small) performance SUV for a realistic cost, comparable only to the Ford Puma ST across the pond here. If you want all the addons and safety features included 'as standard' by Hyundai in the Ford, then you have to upgrade to the top spec version of the Puma ST. I love Toyota for what they do, I've had my name down for a GR Yaris for ages but they just aren't available. The Kona N suits my lifestyle and I chose it over a Lexus 350h because of its slightly quirky appeal. As my granny says "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything". Maybe the Toyota forums are the best place for some and the Kona forums for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No , the AWD option is $1,400 US, which is NOTHING for how much AWD changes a cars over all performance in the corners as a street race and in adverse conditions. I have a Kona 1.6T AWD tuner car and raced FWD cars. Hyundai was being a cheapskate and there is a large number of people wanting an Kona N AWD and had to drop out because AWD was so important to them. People have to voice the need or nothing would ever be done. There are a lot of people who want a Golf R chaser. But sadly it will never happen, since the Hyundai N division is all but shut down now and is basically dead.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm betting the GR Corolla will be priced in the same ball park as an Autobahn GTI ($40k~) but then dealers will try to add a $5k markup on top of it. Remember the Supra when it first came out... $5k markup, no test drives, and basically you had to act like the dealer was doing you a favor by even letting you sit inside the roped off car. A poor dealership experience is enough to deter me from purchasing the product, even if it's a good one.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You can't use a sweeping generality about Toyota necessarily as Hyundai has an overall far worse dealer reputation then Toyota by a large margin from what I have seen. Golf R add on are in the $2,500 to $15,000+ since the transport ship sunk.

The EXACT scenario you posted about the Supra happened with the Veloster N at most Hyundai dealerships. They act like it is an exotic when it is nothing more then a common car finally set up right. Still has the crappy stamped steel control arms, and all the common junky made parts. So you have a car with beefier rods and a tune, better shock valving, and a eLSD and some colored seat bolstering and piping. Don't get near it and you can not drive it or sit in it. Oh we know it is a $34,000 car, most are these days, but they act like it is exotic. So funny when my purchasing dealer ( north of me, he found my 2018 Kona AWD 1.6T in my color , as my close dealer sales sucked with kid salesman that were clueless) the northern dealer said he would never charge a mark up "we don't do that". Yet a year after I pulled my money on the 2WD Kona N I see his dealership was charging a $2,500 dealer markup on the Kona N on Car Gurus, where the 2 other dealers post there with Kona Ns where not. Or at least they did not post it on Car Gurus site. They all suck, forget the car salesman, buy online and get me the car I want fully prepped when I pick it up and I am gone. Then I choose the repair part of the dealership separately from sales. In 4 years I have yet to needed any form of repair or warranty on my car that a dealership or warranty item is needed. I drove through my steering column noise issue, that went away on it's own.

I did like how Bloomington Hyundai's service manager worked with me when I brought up the horrid front to rear brake bias on a stock Kona 1.6T was and we took out multi cars for 2 hours doing brake testing. 80% of the issues went away when I pulled the soft springs out and replaced them with Eibach's. The spring rubber tuning fixed the rest. But I have a good rapport with that service manager. Since you live near me, he is an option for you if needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’m speaking from my personal experience only. I’ve had zero issues from Hyundai regarding test drives or honoring MSRP for the N cars. Toyota was a nightmare for me, at least with their performance cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with Gyver here, sacrificing a cylinder and displacement is not it. Would rather get a used 2016+ Golf R for 30k with AWD and 2.0t-4cyl. Pretty good alternative though for people who really want AWD and manual.
I love sports cars of all categories.Sitting up higher is more of a bonus then being an all out sports car.I owned a stinger for about a year and it also sat too low--skirts--rims--and the door panels get scuffed up too easily and ride was even choppier then a Kona N.I do think AWD should be an option--I had that on my stinger and ran a 4.2 to 60 and a 12.7 in the quarter with it in nov of 2020.Kia/hyundai actually make great AWD systems--but I want a sport SUV and only thing close to the Kona is an X2 M package and AMG 35 or 45 and all those are minimum of 15k more and do not have the reliability and maintenence is also high on any german vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m speaking from my personal experience only. I’ve had zero issues from Hyundai regarding test drives or honoring MSRP for the N cars. Toyota was a nightmare for me, at least with their performance cars.
LOL--Toyota had those small 86 sports cars the toyota 86 for 43k--I paid 37k total for my kona N--actually traded a 2021 CX-30 turbo that i owned and paid 1k for taxes and own the Kona and it would trounce all the sport coupes that are under 40k.Even camry TRD's are low 40k--Hyundai more performance for the dollar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts