Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
I realize I saved about 2 grand getting the 2.0 vs the 1.6T, but now I'm realizing how much more torque the turbo has!
Enjoy your ride.. there’s always something better or has more features ...
if not.. try working With your dealer… They can help you out sometimes more than you might think..
You’ll probably have less issues and expense with your choice..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turbos are trouble in my opinion. Just think about what you are doing when you turbo charge ( or supercharge) any engine; you take a smaller displacement engine, lower the compression ration, then pull more horsepower out of it than the naturally aspirated , and larger displacement engine. What about the combustion chamber pressures, the cylinder head temperatures, high exhaust temps, etc.. Just my opinion, but really displacement is king when it comes to power, in other words if you want more power, put in a larger engine.
My 2.0 4wd Kona is fun to drive in sport mode, and I hope it will last longer than a turbocharged 1.6 liter engine. Really 1600 cc's? I've owned motorcycles with bigger engines than that!!

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Turbos are trouble in my opinion. Just think about what you are doing when you turbo charge ( or supercharge) any engine; you take a smaller displacement engine, lower the compression ration, then pull more horsepower out of it than the naturally aspirated , and larger displacement engine. What about the combustion chamber pressures, the cylinder head temperatures, high exhaust temps, etc.. Just my opinion, but really displacement is king when it comes to power, in other words if you want more power, put in a larger engine.
My 2.0 4wd Kona is fun to drive in sport mode, and I hope it will last longer than a turbocharged 1.6 liter engine. Really 1600 cc's? I've owned motorcycles with bigger engines than that!!
Turbocharged engines from the factory are BUILT to withstand the extra heat and pressures turbo engines produce.
The 1.6T is equipped with oil jets that cool the pistons from the underside, a slightly lower CR reduces chances of detonation,
ECU programming monitors EGT’s to keep things in check. The biggest worry with turbos is running lean and burning holes in pistons.. with ECU controls, this is not an issue anymore. Oil feed and water cooling for the turbo bearings help with longevity..
The advantages are good mileage and a small displacement that puts out the same power as a much larger engine..
So when you drive normally... you’re not feeding a large displacement motor that isn’t being utilized..
If maintained properly, a turbo engine can live a long healthy life.. especially with a good designed system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have a Limited FWD with the turbo and the DCT 7-speed automatic. Before getting it, I drove the SEL with the bigger, non-turbo engine.
I could live with the SEL, it does everything I need in a car, and it is perfect for two retired folks in a small town. Nevertheless, I got the Limited.
So what is the difference?
Owning the SEL, I'd take it everywhere we need to go, then park it. I do the same with the bigger Santa FE Sport.
Owning the Kona Limited, I take it everywhere we need to go, then park it, then I'm trying to come up with an other reason so I can drive it again, and again......
Enthusiasts understand this, and anyone else shouldn't care. Be happy with whatever you have.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
We have a Limited FWD with the turbo and the DCT 7-speed automatic. Before getting it, I drove the SEL with the bigger, non-turbo engine.
I could live with the SEL, it does everything I need in a car, and it is perfect for two retired folks in a small town. Nevertheless, I got the Limited.
So what is the difference?
Owning the SEL, I'd take it everywhere we need to go, then park it. I do the same with the bigger Santa FE Sport.
Owning the Kona Limited, I take it everywhere we need to go, then park it, then I'm trying to come up with an other reason so I can drive it again, and again......
Enthusiasts understand this, and anyone else shouldn't care. Be happy with whatever you have.
Same here.. I sold a perfectly fine practical car to get the Kona turbo DCT setup.. Now doing errands is Fun !!

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
I think either way you go 2.0 or 1.6T, there is no wrong move. Both offer allot of enjoyment and fuel economy as well as performance. We also opted for the 1.6T as we really liked the Ultimate trim and available options. It's been nothing but fun to drive and maintain. Easy access to most everything on the vehicle and it's solid as well. Certainly no regrets with the purchase at all.

We have a Genesis G80 Ultimate 5.0 we've basically parked in the garage, as we've opted to drive the Kona daily. It handles extremely well and is compact enough to zip in and out of traffic and the fuel economy is a major plus. We average between 36-41 miles per gallon on a regular basis and with fuel prices at $3.03 per gallon for premium fuel, it's a major plus. With over a 415 mile range per tank full, it's a go anywhere do anything SUV. Happy motoring which ever you pick you really can't go wrong.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here.. I sold a perfectly fine practical car to get the Kona turbo DCT setup.. Now doing errands is Fun !!
I usually do not leave the house once I get home from work and dread running errands on weekend. Now, with the Kona 1.6T, I make up errands to run and take the scenic route to get there and back. Absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I really enjoy talking about this stuff.
I also really enjoy driving my Kona! It is a super fun little car. I think it will be interesting to see, in the long run, which vehicles are most reliable and maintenance free. If I wanted a high performance sports car, there are other options. Enthusiasts understand this :)

I worked on heavy Diesel engines for years in the marine industry, and what I saw was that boosted engines didn't last as long as naturally aspirated engines, they just ran forever with minimal maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
If I wanted a high performance sports car, there are other options. Enthusiasts understand this :)
Well said! My priorities changed after I retired... I gave up my non practical Z06 and my beater car and went for
A more sensible practical, lower maintenance/expense and less visible type car..
Yet I’m enjoying it every bit as much... even more so.. as I can flog it more and longer! I consider this to be a “disposable” car.. Just drive it, change the oil, no more spending $1800 for a set of tires.. it’s not a target or standout so it’s less to worry about when you park somewhere.. I park away from everyone still.. but my hike is less than it was B4 the Kona.. hassle free driving with less worry.. good stuff.. Less is more.. sometimes. ??

·
Registered
129 Posts
if you find you're really not happy with the 2.0 just trade it in for a 2019 next spring

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Plus, I find it has much more character than the Kia Hamster!:grin::wink:

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Plus, I find it has much more character than the Kia Hamster!:grin::wink:

Blessings and Peace
Very true.. The Kona design team was headed up by the same fellow that designed the Lamborghini Gallardo..
Hyundai spent big bucks to get some sophistication and styling into the Kona..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hear the more powerful turbo engine is being discontinued next year. I've read there have been issues with this engine so I would not regret for a moment your choice.... I made the same choice.

I have a lead foot. That said I find the 2.0 to be just fine for speed and sport mode gets me the jump start or boost whenever I need it not matter if it's a green light or getting on a highway.

I wish you all the best with your Kona

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hear the more powerful turbo engine is being discontinued next year. I've read there have been issues with this engine so I would not regret for a moment your choice.... I made the same choice.

I have a lead foot. That said I find the 2.0 to be just fine for speed and sport mode gets me the jump start or boost whenever I need it not matter if it's a green light or getting on a highway.

Where are you reading about issues with the turbo engine? Can you provide links?

Also the 2019s are arriving some of them with turbo engines. What next year do you mean?

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts

What issues with the gamma II engine ? Sounds like sour grapes to me ..

·
Banned
1,276 Posts

Some, not all Hyundais are getting a new multi-port fuel injection 1.6 engine. There is nothing wrong with the 1.6T GDI and the Veloster uses a 1.6T GDI that makes 201 crank hp, via a different tune. The new 2.0T which will be installed in the Veloster "N" model released later this year, will have between 265 and 275 crank hp.:smile:

There are no problems with either the 2.0 or 1.6T.GDI engines at all as they are being utilized in the 2019's as well.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an older post, but this was a major decision point for my purchase. I ended up going with the 2.0. Depends on your priorities, but I wouldn't have regrets if you value longevity, reliability and less maintenance down the line vs performance/torque/fun to drive. The 2.0 does everything I need, and exceeded expectations on the test drive, especially with the sport mode engaged. I'm personally looking for a reliable commuter so I'll take the simplicity and extra fuel mileage of the 2.0. I also have concerns about how the dual clutch tranny on the 1.2T will hold up over time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts