Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you get this stuff? It's what Hyundai calls out now for the 1.6T and the 2.0. I went to Shell's website (US) and they also had Quaker State and Pennzoil listed, I didn't know Shell owned them also. All my previous Hyundai cars called for Quaker State? I'm a big Mobil 1 fan, and have used it in several vehicles, along with Amsoil in my bikes and ATV'S. Has anyone found this stuff????? Thanks--Titan812

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Shell owns Pennzoil, so any of the Helix synthetic oil is the same as Pennzoil Platinum, or Pennzoil Ultra. Just make sure you watch out for old Ultra bottles on the internet since those can have high calcium, which is not good for LSPI issues on small GDI turbos. To be safe, look for Dexos 1 Gen 2 certificates printed on the bottle. Mobil1 is fine too. All non racing Mobil 1 oils have low calcium so even if they don't have the cert from being approved, they are by default, they just chose not to pay to get it certified or it may be a couple .0x points higher in viscosity then the cert allows . Which is a good thing. I won't run that oil because I think it is too thin. I run Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 (Amazon) or I have Amsoil 0w-40 in now, but I am going to switch away because it has too much ash content for my liking. If you have a non turbo any Ultra oil will be fine, only the turbos have to watch out for LSPI.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Where do you get this stuff? It's what Hyundai calls out now for the 1.6T and the 2.0. I went to Shell's website (US) and they also had Quaker State and Pennzoil listed, I didn't know Shell owned them also. All my previous Hyundai cars called for Quaker State? I'm a big Mobil 1 fan, and have used it in several vehicles, along with Amsoil in my bikes and ATV'S. Has anyone found this stuff????? Thanks--Titan812
Make sure it has the ACEA spec 5A5B to combat LSPI in GDI engines..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Make sure it has the ACEA spec 5A5B to combat LSPI in GDI engines..
It really doesn't have to be if it is a turbo, because they allow 5w-40 use and they give no spec to follow. So anything is allowed at least with 5w-40. And really 5A/5B is nothing special AT ALL. It's mileage based oil spec One oi I use is 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP oil has tons of Mercedes Benz, VW and Porsche oil spec that so fricken superior to 5A/5B it isn't even funny. It has low calcium/low sodium, so it is anti-LSPI Do what you want but I will fight this one if a warranty issue comes about with oil engineers already picked out. But then again I live in the USA and we have better protections with the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act where we see Hyundai Canada always wants to sqweese out of warranty problems. So Canadian people have to way the risks more then USA people do.

I have 2 relatives both 10 years at the largest Audi and the largest Lexus dealers in Minnesota, they never have sent oil to analysis and they go by, if the oil is on the clean side,it is up to the proper level. the engine oil doesnt smell like gear oil and it is not thick like gear oil, and it isnt red like ATF you will get a warranty. Hyundai's oil spec is so sub-standard compared to German cars where oil is held on a pedestal. I do choose an oil that id not a Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved but it WOULD pass the LSPI test if tested, but it has a higher viscosity so it could not pass the Dexos1 Gen 2 test since the 5w-30 is on the thicker side of the 5w-30 spread, but too high for the mileage spec 5A/5B that likes a thin oil.

Hyundai is contradictory on their oil spec. They want a thicker oil as per all 2.0 T have a TSB that states they want that motor to go from a 5w-30 to a 5w40 full time. But there is risk since you have a very hard time finding 5w-40 that hinders LSPI other then a few. And some of these oils are 0-w40 oils which is fine , but talk about confusion and talking out both sides of their mouth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, ours is a turbo, and M1 5W 40 sounds like a decent way to go. Or would the 5W 30 be better? The dealer does the oil changes for the first two years, but If I'm reading the manual (the Shell Helix reference) synthetic oil is all that's really recommended for Hyundai Kona's, regardless of brand? I don't want a upcharge for getting the correct oil to begin with. My Nissan Titan uses 0W 20 in it, although I now use 0W 30 in the summer, no turbo, but twice the weight and HP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never quite understood how and why a higher viscosity oil, such as the mobil-1 0w40 could actually hurt a hyundai turbo engine. Is there something special about the oil pump, or some spacing between components that could lead to oil starvation? Are any other specific badness? Can the thicker oil cause premature bypass of the filter? Does anyone have some rational explanation (other than superstitions). I can offer some anecdotal evidence: Tried 0w40 Castrol synthetic ( Belgian made , PAO) in my wife's 2018 Honda Ody, which calls for 5w30. It did run noticeably noisier with that, to the point that I replaced it with 5W30 mobile the next day, and it run much quieter with that. So it appears that some cars do not like a too heavy oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts