Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2019 Kona Ultimate AWD in for my second oil change (10,000 mi.). The service advisor went over my bill and noted several recommended items for my next service visit (at 15,000 mi.) - wheel alignment and brake caliper service. I asked what the brake caliper service included and what it would cost. It included removing calipers and cleaning and lubricating the pins on all four wheels for $229. They advised Kia and Hyundai vehicles were known to have this brake issue. Of course I just assumed this was a way to get more business for the service department. Then the next day I received coupons from Hyundai one of which was for “free brake inspection”. Now I wonder if there is brake problem with these brands.

Soooo - #1 - What do you think of needing an alignment and brake service at 15,000 miles.
And #2 - What weird “service recommendations” has your dealer suggested.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brake service sounds like BS. Unless you need to change your brake pads or rotors, lubing the slide pins, and cleaning the calipers is a waste. Also with basic tools, you can choose to clean and lube your calipers for free and about 30 mins to do all 4.

Otherwise, i dont bring my car to a dealership unless something broke.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have heard about the brake calipers "freezing up" as a matter of fact I think it's on this web site somewhere, so it might be legitimate, but that sounds like an awfully high price for what is probably about an hours work. I'd suggest finding an independent mechanic you trust and ask them about their price to do the service. You can call several shops and just ask them too.

Your Owners Manual section 7, out lines the Hyundai service schedule for the 1.6T engine and your Kona Ultimate. Disc brakes and pads are a simple Inspection at every service. There is (IMO anyhow) no way they can predict that you'll need an alignment in 5,000 miles, but not need it now? Look at your tires tread, if they are wearing evenly, then you don't need an alignment. If they are wearing unevenly, then you do need an alignment.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The brake service is 110% STEALING your money. At 50,000 miles maybe. At 15,000 miles it is a "shake down". Find a different dealer or go into that service dept with battle gear because you are being targeted as a fool. I will tell you one area you should do since you have an AWD , is change the rear differential fluid. It is the heart of your AWD system and it has a 1/2 QT of oil in it, yes a micro 1/2 QT of oil. And all your abrasive break-in clutch material is going all through your rear diff bearings. This should be done at 5,000 miles if you are hard on it to 8,000 if you are easy on it. I have written many posts on this. I will just say "they" (<-clueless) will say you don't need to do this. It is the most important change to get that stuff out in the beginning, then it doesn't matter as much after when the clutches are shedding less material per hours driven. A new rear diff is $4,500 ,if you go past your 100,000 drive train warranty. And that is when you will see the bearing damage. If you do it yourself it is $15-20 depending on the quality of oil. $75 at the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'17 Kona 1.6T (AWD), based in Australia, now on 52k km. Dealer serviced every 10k km per logbook. Never had/advised to have this "brake caliper service" before. Car drives, and brakes, just fine. Will probably replace with new pads & rotors at 80k km, they can "service" it then!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The brake service is 110% STEALING your money. At 50,000 miles maybe. At 15,000 miles it is a "shake down". Find a different dealer or go into that service dept with battle gear because you are being targeted as a fool. I will tell you one area you should do since you have an AWD , is change the rear differential fluid. It is the heart of your AWD system and it has a 1/2 QT of oil in it, yes a micro 1/2 QT of oil. And all your abrasive break-in clutch material is going all through your rear diff bearings. This should be done at 5,000 miles if you are hard on it to 8,000 if you are easy on it. I have written many posts on this. I will just say "they" (<-clueless) will say you don't need to do this. It is the most important change to get that stuff out in the beginning, then it doesn't matter as much after when the clutches are shedding less material per hours driven. A new rear diff is $4,500 ,if you go past your 100,000 drive train warranty. And that is when you will see the bearing damage. If you do it yourself it is $15-20 depending on the quality of oil. $75 at the dealer.
I agree, changing differential oil is extremely important. Honda recommends every 15 thousand miles on the crv. Not sure why hyundai does not recommended more frequently. It's simple to do, and very inexpensive. There are video's on YouTube to guide you through it.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
Go by the owners manual, not the stealership.. Those services aren't necessary unless you are noticing a issue..
Especially with such low mileage..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts