Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Sept 2018 US Kona Sales Comparison

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Bad~Papa 
#1 ·
September was a down month in US auto sales for most brands, though Hyundai was up a bit. The new Santa Fe seems to be doing well (about 10000 sold) as does the Tucson (also about 10000 sold.) GM released their quarterly numbers and it looks like both Chevy Trax and Buick Encore are down a bit over earlier estimates that about 8000/month of each were being sold.

Subaru Crosstrek 12376
Jeep Renegade 8099
Buick Encore 6945
Chevy Trax 6760
Honda HR-V 5978
Ford EcoSport 4577
Hyundai Kona 4327
Toyota C-HR 4180
Nissan Kicks 3498
Kia Niro 2889
Mazda CX-3 1219
Mit Eclipse Cross 914
Fiat 500X 286

Top selling bigger crossovers included the RAV4, CR-V, and Rogue all over 30000 units each and the Equinox, Cherokee, Highlander, Explorer, and Escape between 20-30k.

Source

See less See more
#3 ·
It's sales peaked in June at 6756, then dropped to 5354 in July and 4769 in August. So its settled in to what I think of as "Group 3." Group 1 is the Crosstrek at around 12000/month. Group 2 has been HR-V, the GM twins, and Renegade in the 7-10000/mo range (though HR-V had a bad month). Then it drops to Group 3, which has been 4-5000/mo in sales. Kona, C-HR, and now EcoSport and Kicks.

#4 ·
Interesting as the Kona has been purportedly staying near the same sales figure each month.

Blessings and Peace

#9 ·
Out here in NC, I live in a small town outside of Charlotte.. I had my car over a month and I have only seen one
Other Kona.. Small SUVs don’t stand out very much... which is a good thing if you don’t want the attention of LEO’s.
I prefer the “sleeper” type car that doesn’t get noticed but can surprise those unsuspecting challengers..
I had one of those situations with a bmw 3 series, at a stoplight 2 lanes side by side down to one lane after the light..
He kept creeping up waiting to go.. I took off at the same time and was able to smoothly pass him and get in front without any drama or wheel spin.. it wasn’t a full on race, but he probably wasn’t expecting the lil SUV to take off the line..
Exactly why I bought it..

#8 ·
I am in a first ring suburb of Minneapolis and I have seen a total of 6, in 5 months. I just saw a lime green one waiting at an on ramp light on Thursday. Not many and I only have caught 3 people looking at the body style as a double take. I surely would of thought there would of been more stares at the car since it doesn't look like any other car, even by non car people, but they don't, at least when I am watch for it. But that has to be different if you own a lime green mean machine. Those are hard to just look over even for me.

#11 ·
Consider it is the first year and lots of people do not like first year editions ! I stumbled on it, and probably would not have really looked at it much. Hyndia had a fair name for years, so that adds into the equation too! Just a few thoughts ! Resale value is considered by people too.

#12 · (Edited)
I usually steer clear of first year models, they started production on jun 2017, I have a Jun 2018 build so
hoping they had plenty of practice before me... �� Many major Components have been around and used in another models.
Todays manufacturing and tighter quality controls make worrying about new year models a thing of the past.
Hyundai’s warranty helps resale for sure .. and First year models bring some exclusiveness For awhile..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.