Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took the Kona (2019 SEL AWD) to Las Vegas to deal with some family stuff. Left Friday morning about 2am for the drive. An hour into the drive the BCW sensors started ghosting in the desert with nothing around us. First the right side started blinking a few times, then the left side. This went on for some time and then finally a BCW Disabled warning due to radar blocked and they stopped working. Tried to reset with the switch but nothing. Stopped for gas, when we turned the car back on they started working again for some time and the ghosting started again but no warning.

BCW did work during the ghosting around traffic.

Then on the way home I noticed with the Kona behind me that when the turn signals were on the LED lights no longer turned off. Then a short time later they did turn off when using the turn signals. This continued to happen on and off all the way home. Also on the way home the BCW completely stopped working on the right side of the vehicle.

Took to the dealer yesterday, explained the scenarios and troubleshooting we did on the phone trying different scenarios to see if the BCW and LED/turn signal issue was related. The Dealer seems to have reports of the turn signal issue and/or BCW issue and hopefully will hear back from them in the next day or two.

Outside of this, car ran fine, average from 32 - 36 during the drive on flat ground 75-85 unless going up the mountains on 93 then it dropped to 28-30. We had the car packed with my Dads stuff on the way home and still ran great.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So we took the Kona (2019 SEL AWD) to Las Vegas to deal with some family stuff. Left Friday morning about 2am for the drive. An hour into the drive the BCW sensors started ghosting in the desert with nothing around us. First the right side started blinking a few times, then the left side. This went on for some time and then finally a BCW Disabled warning due to radar blocked and they stopped working. Tried to reset with the switch but nothing. Stopped for gas, when we turned the car back on they started working again for some time and the ghosting started again but no warning.

BCW did work during the ghosting around traffic.

Then on the way home I noticed with the Kona behind me that when the turn signals were on the LED lights no longer turned off. Then a short time later they did turn off when using the turn signals. This continued to happen on and off all the way home. Also on the way home the BCW completely stopped working on the right side of the vehicle.

Took to the dealer yesterday, explained the scenarios and troubleshooting we did on the phone trying different scenarios to see if the BCW and LED/turn signal issue was related. The Dealer seems to have reports of the turn signal issue and/or BCW issue and hopefully will hear back from them in the next day or two.

Outside of this, car ran fine, average from 32 - 36 during the drive on flat ground 75-85 unless going up the mountains on 93 then it dropped to 28-30. We had the car packed with my Dads stuff on the way home and still ran great.
The ghosting is common in area's near military bases, and Vegas is near the largest military testing grounds in the states. Any high powered radar signals and/or blocking is susceptible to screwing the low powered systems in the cars. Mine typically goes crazy near Fort Bragg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I could see if it was possibly exactly in Las Vegas, but the issue's started outside of Las Vegas in the middle of desert with nothing around us. Dealer said they have had reports of this from others but have not found any issue's each time. Picking up the car this morning and will shoot video if we can catch it again for the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And broke again this morning driving through the desert to the grand kids house. Back to the shop next week

bcw broke.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And it looks like this might be normal driving through the desert, not sure why all of a sudden after 6 months of owning the car its now doing this but....

• This warning message may appear when :

- One or both of the sensors on the rear bumper is blocked by dirt or snow or a foreign object.
- Driving in rural areas where the BCW sensor does not detect another vehicle for an extended period of time.
  • When there is inclement weather such as heavy snow or rain.
  • A trailer or carrier is installed. To use the BCW system, remove the trailer or carrier from your vehicle.
If any of these conditions occur, the light on the BCW switch and the system will turn off automatically.

When the BCW canceled warning message is displayed in the cluster, check to make sure that the rear bumper is free from any dirt or snow in the areas where the sensor is located. Remove any dirt, snow, or foreign material that could interfere with the radar sensors.

After any dirt or debris is removed, the BCW system should operate normally after about 10 minutes of driving the vehicle.

If the system still does not operate normally have your vehicle inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts