Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CPO hyundai last month from the dealership. A 2019, certified pre-owned, Kona SE with 1 previous owner and 15,000 miles. Pretty good deal, and so far I'm happy with it's performance.

Now, I've been attempting to get my "navigation" button on my vehicles screen to not be "greyed" out (I can't click on it--was told that the SD card must have been removed so I need to get a new SD and install it myself. This was all information I found by logging into "my hyundai" "getting started" "updates specific to MY CAR" etc. Mind you, I did have to call to the support line to ask why my vin pulled up a 2019 kona SEL not an SE. She didn't give me an answer but low and behold a few hours pass and the "my hyundai" page I had originally opened up to once logged in called it an, SE, then the next day changed again to say "2019 kona". So okay, clerical error? We can go with that. But all of the updates "specific to my car" are still pulling up wrong.

***My big question is this-- did hyundai make ALL cars (or konas at least, regardless of trim package) have navigation built in to it? My salesman and finance guy who I wrote the check to told me it had (I hadn't even asked, honestly wasn't expecting it to), but they decided to enlighten me on this information, that I would have bluelink and navigation and all the new tech that the older model basic trim packages weren't equipped with.

Is this complete bs??? I downloaded nav updates on to an sd card, had about 7 different tech support people trying to help me via telephone, and no sd card could be found. Nothing was resolved.

Now today, i planned to take it to the dealership, just be like hey, can you do this? I will pay you. Screw it.

First, my husband called a friend of his who has been a service writer with hyundai (I won't disclose the location), but he went into the schematics of my car with the vin number. My car is not equipped to accept an sd card for nav updates. I do not have nav. I do not have bluelink. So... Did I get lied to by the dealership? ( It was not on the window sticker, but EVERYONE I have spoken with assures me once I have given them the vin, that it in fact does have the hardware capable of accepting an sd card, proceeds to tell me to follow steps on webpage or call mapnsoft.) If it doesn't come with it then.. well that's lame of the salesmen (no surprise.. he was awful--awfully good at lying to sell a car with all these features that are unable to really check before leaving the lot). They seem to try to cover their ass legally pretty well so I'm sure this will be another notch to add to the list of things I was lied about or screwed over by the salesman's shady sales tactics. I hope this is the last. Truly.

So beyond my rambling, should every 2019 trim package of konas come with bluelink and or navigation compatibility? They are greyed out but they are on my car screen. No sd slot to be found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a CPO hyundai last month from the dealership. A 2019, certified pre-owned, Kona SE with 1 previous owner and 15,000 miles. Pretty good deal, and so far I'm happy with it's performance.

Now, I've been attempting to get my "navigation" button on my vehicles screen to not be "greyed" out (I can't click on it--was told that the SD card must have been removed so I need to get a new SD and install it myself. This was all information I found by logging into "my hyundai" "getting started" "updates specific to MY CAR" etc. Mind you, I did have to call to the support line to ask why my vin pulled up a 2019 kona SEL not an SE. She didn't give me an answer but low and behold a few hours pass and the "my hyundai" page I had originally opened up to once logged in called it an, SE, then the next day changed again to say "2019 kona". So okay, clerical error? We can go with that. But all of the updates "specific to my car" are still pulling up wrong.

***My big question is this-- did hyundai make ALL cars (or konas at least, regardless of trim package) have navigation built in to it? My salesman and finance guy who I wrote the check to told me it had (I hadn't even asked, honestly wasn't expecting it to), but they decided to enlighten me on this information, that I would have bluelink and navigation and all the new tech that the older model basic trim packages weren't equipped with.

Is this complete bs??? I downloaded nav updates on to an sd card, had about 7 different tech support people trying to help me via telephone, and no sd card could be found. Nothing was resolved.

Now today, i planned to take it to the dealership, just be like hey, can you do this? I will pay you. Screw it.

First, my husband called a friend of his who has been a service writer with hyundai (I won't disclose the location), but he went into the schematics of my car with the vin number. My car is not equipped to accept an sd card for nav updates. I do not have nav. I do not have bluelink. So... Did I get lied to by the dealership? ( It was not on the window sticker, but EVERYONE I have spoken with assures me once I have given them the vin, that it in fact does have the hardware capable of accepting an sd card, proceeds to tell me to follow steps on webpage or call mapnsoft.) If it doesn't come with it then.. well that's lame of the salesmen (no surprise.. he was awful--awfully good at lying to sell a car with all these features that are unable to really check before leaving the lot). They seem to try to cover their ass legally pretty well so I'm sure this will be another notch to add to the list of things I was lied about or screwed over by the salesman's shady sales tactics. I hope this is the last. Truly.

So beyond my rambling, should every 2019 trim package of konas come with bluelink and or navigation compatibility? They are greyed out but they are on my car screen. No sd slot to be found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was under the impression that only the Ultima model has built-in navigation. Maybe the other models get the navigation from cellphones. I have a 2020 Ultima, and indeed there is a slot, and an SD card was installed. So you need to ask.
The ilink sounds great but takes your driving data and keeps it for corporate uses or sells them. Are you sure you want your driving data sold around? Please rethink its use. I made sure to deactivate it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It is not unheard of that the dealership makes verbal representations that they later fail to stand behind.
It is common that they make a "mistake" after you finished negotiating the deal. By the time they write up the deal, there is some small "misunderstanding" on the paperwork in their favor that is
costing you an extra couple of $1000. Some people are letting these slide, out of embarrassment or whatever, and if you say anything, they try to convince you that was what you agreed to.
The worst thing they ever did to me is showing me a fraudulent carfax report with a clean accident history A competing dealer run the carfax on the vin of the car,
the car had an accident on the carfax. In this case if I bought this car and discovered the fraud later, they would have denied that they showed me a clean carfax report, and it would have been their word against mine.
From what I am reading, the built in nav may require authentication, and a manufacturer provided SD card to enable it. (I could be totally wrong)
So I do not believe you can just download the nav onto your own SD card. I think you need a genuine, OEM nav card , which is $125 to $250
The OEM card may have some authentication info on it, or the sd has to be formatted a special way...

For example:

If I am right, they owe you an OEM Nav SD card. The fact that the screen has the nav app greyed out indicates to me that it is the OEM nav SD that you are missing.

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
93 Posts
I recently updated my NAV software using SDCard, they do recommend certain types of SDCards but I could only get it to work with the SDCard provided when I purchased the car. The NAV update software app I downloaded for windows said it needs to be 32gb or less for FAT32 formatting etc. I have had similar issues with dashcams, can be trial and error to find a brand / class / capacity that works with the OEM hardware. The software also pointed out that some older model head units didn't use SDCard, they used the USB port for upgrades, but 2019 should definitely be SDCard

In Australia Bluelink (called Autolink here) is optional on base models and provided on the higher end models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts