Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Sparco Terra SE wheels with GT Altimax Arctic 12 studded tires (Made in Germany and sold by TireRack). I installed these when I purchased a MY20 Ultimate 6 weeks ago as winter approached Boise, Idaho. As a recent arrival I knew that Boise would be bitterly cold with significant snow and lots of ice and that Idaho was also known for guns and potatoes.

Fast forward to today. Hellish winter weather for weeks across the country with snow even in the gulf states - but no snow in Boise. Oh, there was one day with 2 inches that evaporated before I could finish breakfast and get it to test the spiky tires with AWD. With even warmer temperatures forecasted for the next weeks, I decided to stop clattering around town and skittering around corners and reinstalled the stock Goodyear Eagle Touring 235/45VR18's.

This is where the lament about a quirk begins: I was finally able to drive calmly on 80 MPH sections with appropriate tires rather than the nervous grip that studded tires induced at this speed on warm dry pavement. But no, my grip was now a death grip at 50 to 65 MPH where the Kona steering jittered randomly with no feeling of connectedness when steering straight and sudden deflections left or right upon turning the steering wheel sightly to move left or right in the lane. The car was jumping in small 6" increments to the left or right on its own and my driving was all about keeping the car centered. (Reminded me of a 928 I had that would jump 2 feet at speed in anything other than new tires. My tires have 125 miles on them.)

Obviously, I need to see the service department but I hoped to learn before then of information others have with this issue or of any service bulletins that pertain.

Symptoms are the same on asphalt, concrete and grooved concrete. Sport mode had no impact. I didn't try above 65 MPH.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That sounds like driving a motorcycle on concrete freeway that has rain grooves in it. You squirm back and forth left and right due to the tires and rain groove. Agree with above, sounds like a tire issue possibly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were stored on a hand truck the folds down to a 4 wheel push cart. The tires were vertical in contact on two rails at about 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was mistaken in describing the method of storage for 6 weeks. The hand truck when in push cart configuration is like a ladder with cross rails. The tires rested on the cross rails. Each tire sat on a 2" to 4" wide cross member that ran parallel to the tire's circumference. The contact point was 3 to 4 inches in length either along an edge, in the middle or near a quarter of the way across the width of the tire. I used a strong light to exam the tread area for a hint of a depression but this was like hunting snipes. The wheels were torque too exactly 80 ft pounds when I installed the stock rims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But did you check? Your'e supposed to re-torque after 60mi
Checked the torque and found all OK. On return to home this evening I took a route that includes a short section of 65 MPH freeway and in that 1/4 mile I didn't notice the jittery lurching and the disconnected slack/play when in center position. Will do a full test tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took the Kona out for a test at 65+ and there was no jitter and only an occasional vagueness in the feel of the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. I'll get the car examined and share what the service manager finds if the problem returns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts