Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2022 Kona with the 2.0L engine. The owner's manual says it requires SAE OW-20 engine oil. I'm not familiar with this particular type. Is it commonly available at those 10-minute oil change places?

My previous vehicles used either 5W or 10W-30. So, this "OW-20" is new to me. I assume it's synthetic.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Yes, it’s synthetic , all oil starting with 0 is synthetic. very common oil used on most new cars, especially normally aspirated ones. Use what the manual states. Tight tolerances in these cars, they are designed to use this oil..
Congrats on the 22 Kona and Welcome to the Forum

·
Administrator
643 Posts
My previous vehicles used either 5W or 10W-30. So, this "OW-20" is new to me. I assume it's synthetic.
0W-20 still comes in a synthetic blend, make sure to ask for full sythectic. Most oil change places will use synthetic blend to save a few cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
0W-20 still comes in a synthetic blend, make sure to ask for full sythectic. Most oil change places will use synthetic blend to save a few cents.
The FREE SERVICE FOR 3 YEARS includes SEMI-SYNTHETIC oil. There is an extra charge for synthetic. My dealer sez the semi-synthetic is just fine...your engine is guaranteed for 100,000 miles why would we put an oil in the car which would cause problems....bring it in EVERY 7,500 miles..... This would be one year for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Synthetic causes problems to your engine? Oh really.
Perhaps I should have phrased this differently. The dealer replied when I asked why would you put in a semi-synthetic oil into the Kona as part of the free maintenance instead of synthetic? The reply was why would we put in any oil which would not protect your engine....semi-synthetic is just fine...your car engine has a 100,000 mile warranty... sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Perhaps I should have phrased this differently. The dealer replied when I asked why would you put in a semi-synthetic oil into the Kona as part of the free maintenance instead of synthetic? The reply was why would we put in any oil which would not protect your engine....semi-synthetic is just fine...your car engine has a 100,000 mile warranty... sorry for the confusion.
No worries. My response would have been “…I just spent $30,000 on a car, why wouldn’t I use the best oil possible?”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts