Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a great deal on a light bar I plan to mount on my front bumper. Has anyone drawn a cable through any of the factory ports in the firewall, or know of a port it would be possible to bring the switch cable through? Or is this going to be a tap job?

·
Banned
179 Posts
I recently found a great deal on a light bar I plan to mount on my front bumper. Has anyone drawn a cable through any of the factory ports in the firewall, or know of a port it would be possible to bring the switch cable through? Or is this going to be a tap job?

I dont think your gonna like this answer. I did find the firewall grommet to pass wires across, but i think its gonna be a nightmare to use it. Its behind the battery, right next to the upper right hand section of the brake booster. It appears that both the battery and ECM are gonna have to come out to access it. The other downside, it appears to be near the top of the dash in the cabin. I have a crappy cellphone pic of its location, that i will post below. Its the cone shaped thing on the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't touched anything yet, been working over time so I've yet to attach it. Almost seems like it would be a better option to run it under the vehicle and tap the floor at this point.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Can you just wire it into the "brights" or highbeam loop with a relay?

Or do you need to be able to enable and disable it on the fly ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you just wire it into the "brights" or highbeam loop with a relay?

Or do you need to be able to enable and disable it on the fly ?
Technically they're not street legal in my state, but having it toggle for on/off is a must. My work hours are odd, so during the winter I hardly see day light.

·
Registered
268 Posts
On older usa cars, the boot around the steering shaft was big and easy to poke a hole through at the upper edge, Have not really looked at the kona much. If you have to drill a hole, always make sure it is clear on both sides. Know a person who randomly drilled a hole on drivers side, then had engine error codes start showing up. He let drill go in, wrap around an engine sensor wire, and break the wire. Took years to finally locate, by then the car was almost ready for the junk yard. Then the old " I don't remember doing that" !

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Technically they're not street legal in my state, but having it toggle for on/off is a must. My work hours are odd, so during the winter I hardly see day light.
The only alternative may be find a good quality firewall grommet and drill a hole :crying:

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are very inexpensive wireless remote controls for on/off operation of a light bar. Check Amazon and Fleabay. That way you can wire direct to the battery and be done.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I dont think your gonna like this answer. I did find the firewall grommet to pass wires across, but i think its gonna be a nightmare to use it. Its behind the battery, right next to the upper right hand section of the brake booster. It appears that both the battery and ECM are gonna have to come out to access it. The other downside, it appears to be near the top of the dash in the cabin. I have a crappy cellphone pic of its location, that i will post below. Its the cone shaped thing on the firewall.

I spent 2 hours trying to pass my trailer hitch power wire through there. I tried through inside and the outside with a fish tool with no luck. I had to run the wire under the car through the brake line channel and on top of the rear suspension and through a grommet in the back to the convertor. You may have better luck if your wire loom is bend in the grommet radius differently them mine is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well like mentioned on older cars, the steering column had a big rubber gromment that could be easily tapped through. Use a hollow tube,(5/16, 3/8" ?) cut 45 degree angle edge one end, and it would cut rubber hole and the wire would pass through the inside of the hollow tube. No clue if this could work anywhere on the kona though ? just some old school stuff. We would take a screwdriver handle, and heat tubing to melt all the way through handle, so wire could be inserted at handle end. Also handle made it easy to twist and push.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Agree, absolutely not thru the door jambs. Unless he's speaking about the rocker panels, this is alright. :smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
139 Posts
I been running wires thru door jams for over 12 years among a dozen vehicles at least. Never an issue. They crimp up slightly at the rubber seal, but no problems ever. I tape them up to prevent any damage.

·
Banned
179 Posts
I been running wires thru door jams for over 12 years among a dozen vehicles at least. Never an issue. They crimp up slightly at the rubber seal, but no problems ever. I tape them up to prevent any damage.
Its quite dangerous. I would never accept any install like that if i was a customer. Even with a fuse, that wire can and will eventually wear the insulation down, and ground. May not be enough blow a fuse in some cases, but heating up the wire, causing a fire.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Good find!!

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Good Description!!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Dickestonia
1 - 19 of 19 Posts