Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Forum although I've been reading your posts. I own a Thunder Grey 2018 Hyundai Kona Ultimate. I am debating having the side plastic trim coated in truck-bed liner (Rhino Liner).. It would look similar to the black trim in the attached photo. Has anyone had this done? My window tint guy said he could do it in a couple hours for $100. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Forum although I've been reading your posts. I own a Thunder Grey 2018 Hyundai Kona Ultimate. I am debating having the side plastic trim coated in truck-bed liner (Rhino Liner).. It would look similar to the black trim in the attached photo. Has anyone had this done? My window tint guy said he could do it in a couple hours for $100. Thoughts?
Why not wait and see how the plastic trim holds up.. if it starts to look bad, then maybe that would be a good solution
To try something like you described.. if it ain't broke ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but I was thinking of the extra durability that coating the plastic would provide.. Plus there is the aesthetics to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I believe the Kona in the picture I attached just has black plastic trim but it's not coated. My plastic trim is a light grey so the photo was just for a color reference.. Perhaps I should have clarified that.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Yeah, I believe the Kona in the picture I attached just has black plastic trim but it's not coated. My plastic trim is a light grey so the photo was just for a color reference.. Perhaps I should have clarified that.
I have the sonic silver.. so I understand now what you are referring to... Good luck.. post pics if you get it done...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the rough textured Rhino Liner..I was going to get all of the grey plastic coated all the way around the car including the front lower lip and the rear bumper. But there big question is this: how do you guys think it would look? That's my real concern haha

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, the rough textured Rhino Liner..I was going to get all of the grey plastic coated all the way around the car including the front lower lip and the rear bumper. But there big question is this: how do you guys think it would look? That's my real concern haha
The textured liner would look like exactly what it would be, rhino liner on plastic parts. I don't know that I would go that route - I could see if you were wanting a darker color maybe going for a matte spray/liner but I personally wouldn't go with a heavily textured liner. Too bad Rhino-Liner isn't like plastidip, you could do a section and if you didn't like it just peel it away...then again, I wonder if you plastidipped first and then applied RL...probably not...I definitely wouldn't do this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rhino Liner

I'd get gravel guard & try it on the rocker panel below the door. It's a rattle can, DIY job that protects original color & a wash keeps it nice. No chips, discoloration or constant refresh like other products.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not familiar with the coating, but first what will the chemical make up of it do to the plastic ? Then the prep to remove any coating already on the plastic ? I find the refinish stuff works dam good, wipe on /wipe off.(on other cars) And a black refinish will make the gray look black. my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Think about wrapping also. Easier to deal with and will protect the finish. If it gets marker just remove it and replace. Do not paint or coat any of the painted or other surfaces as per your warranty specifications.:wink:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: gregimusprime77

·
Registered
175 Posts
Think about wrapping also. Easier to deal with and will protect the finish. If it gets marker just remove it and replace. Do not paint or coat any of the painted or other surfaces as per your warranty specifications.:wink:

Blessings and Peace
Can you even wrap a rough surface like that? I always assumed that wrap would only work on paint.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes, it just depends on how it's applied. Heat is a great tool when used correctly and makes the wrap fill small voids. Most installer stretch the wrap some what. With the proper amount of heat applied when installing, it makes the wrap much more pliable and able to fill the small voids easier.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
179 Posts
Other then vinyl wrapping, you could also plasti-dip or use a product similar too it, to see if its something you will like.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Linseed oil and Flood Penetrol are what pros use to bring back black plastics. Both are available at Home Depot for $10 quart. Lasts about 4-6 months, then rinse and repeat. I wouldn't spend the $100 for Rhino. I would wrap the front in 3M clear film to protect from stone chips and other road debris. Materials are about $60 per car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts