Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know someone out there has successfully replaced their key FOB; I've been trying to replace it for the first time without actually damaging the unit. I am having a very hard time opening it. Yes, I looked it up and found a video Key FOB . I order a guitar pick, but it was too flimsy, so I am back to square one, trying to open it w/o damaging it.

Did I miss some special instructions? If you have any tips, or have found something useful to open it, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fred

·
Registered
36 Posts
My father on his last oil change asked the folks in the service department about it because it seemed to be fading and they changed the battery in the key fob free of charge during the oil change. YMMV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I changed the battery, but ended up damaging the plastic edges of the seam. The only way I could apply enough force to open the seam was to dig into the plastic.
It's not so noticeable as it's on the edge, but was a pain to get apart.
I would like to know how anyone is able to do it without damage.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
try this:

What you will need:
• 1x CR2032 battery
• Flat-head screwdriver

To open your key fob, first remove the internal key. Pull the little lever on the back of the fob and pull it out. Under the hole that the key came from, there is an indentation or slot. Insert a flat-head screwdriver into the slot and twist to separate the two halves of the key fob. Pull the pieces of plastic apart until you have access to the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts