Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I've done so far with my lights (Kona 1.6T not ultimate)

Fog lights: RCP h11 LED with canbus adapter

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N6LX0JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THEY ARE SO BRIGHT HOLY CRAP. Easy to install just pop out the terrible push fasteners, unbolt the 10mm bolts, and just reach in and replace the fog lights. No light alarms. Probably shouldn't use them at night unless you need to

Low beams: Philips Diamond vision h7

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007JZKBVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pigtail for the low beams is also the retention clip so putting in LEDs with the huge butt isn't an option. There's also almost no room in the headlight housing.

High beams: Philips Diamond vision h7

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007JZKBVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have them on order, should be good. Same deal with the pigtails.

Interior lights: eco_zilla kit from ebay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-2018-Hyundai-Kona-WHITE-LED-Interior-Light-Accessories-Replacement-Kit-8-PCS/112802532405?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

on order, don't know how well it will go.

Also ordering some el cheapo halogens from amazon: agptek h7

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071Z1KSK7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just to watch the world burn

A note about the philips lights: apparently they may not be legal in your region, idk why. the ultimate kona comes with white LEDs anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the second set of Philips lights and the led interior lights today

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
When replacing the headlights, the manual says to disconnect the negative connection to the battery. Is this necessary? I've never done it with other cars

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Yes, to preclude a short of the fuse or damage to the replacement. Do not handle the bulb with your fingers. The oil from your hand can cause a hotspot and burn out the light. Clean your hands with rubbing alcohol before installing the light and only hold it by the prongs.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Cheers Mate!!

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
When replacing the headlights, the manual says to disconnect the negative connection to the battery. Is this necessary? I've never done it with other cars
I don’t see why you need to remove the neg terminal to change a headlight bulb.. as long as you
Don’t have power to the ignition, the light switch is not on, you will be fine. I would do it without hesitation..
This is more of a safety, lawyer catch all for the owners manual.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had the lights set to off so they weren't energized at all. If you really want to be sure you can meter the feed and return for voltage.

though the manual is right in that one shouldn't work on a live system unless necessary. Liable to start welding if you're not careful

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yoinkerman, really appreciate your report and link posts on this.
So, if I'm reading it right, you replaced both the low & high beams with the same Phillips bulbs?
Just stocking my cart in Amazon.ca now and hovering over the buy now button, but want to make sure.

I'm so unimpressed with the OEM bulbs - but so IMPRESSED with the LED fog light improvement, I'm really hoping the Phillips will illuminate to a higher standard.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did indeed use the same for high and low.

I don't know if they're any brighter or throw the light any further, but I like the colour a lot better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
can someone explain to me how I touch lamps?

maybe with a picture? because I do not find anything in my brochure. I would also like to replace them with philips lamps.

Thankyou.

Michael.

Btw. I am new here 😄 but its Nice to Find a good Hyundai KONA forum!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's the outer seal that you unscrew, the plug that you remove to get at the bulb, then the bulb itself that is held in by 3 tabs, turn counter clockwise to pop the bulb out

·
Registered
263 Posts
thank you for your quick reply. do I have to do that along the inside of my bonnet?
Yes. Open it, the outer seal is directly behind the projector lens and is plastic, it takes about a quarter turn (maybe a bit more) to unseat it and then you pull it off. Repeat the same process with the bulbs and then you reverse the process for reassembly.

Important not to touch the glass of the new bulbs as oil from your hand can cause hotspots and cause them to burn out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had started to replace my lamp. first I turned it around cap off. then there was a small clip on the lamp. it has fallen down and can no longer be used. now I went to the hyundai garage and they told me that the entire headlight should be ready for that. is this correct? because I do not know much about this

·
Registered
51 Posts
The tight fit (and my big mitts) have proven challenging to get at and change the bulbs.
Especially on the passenger side low beam, as the windshield washer reservoir stem is right there.
I can see an afternoon of humming, hawing, chin scratching, head rubbing and staring into the abyss to figure out how to get it done,
whilst saving either my knuckles from certain destruction or my patience being worn so thin it snaps.
Just don't want to end up with Kona heterochromia iridis.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts