Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fallen victim to the battery fault recall and need a new battery. No problem, right? I have a lifetime warranty on my 2019. But my dealer doesn’t have the equipment needed to install it and can’t get it until July!!! No courtesy car for that length of time. The service department is working hard to resolve this. I am working with Hyundai customer service and have hit the voicemail wall. Is anyone aware of a Hyundai service department with the equipment to do the job?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you saying that your car is "bricked"? I am also on the Recall List for recall 200. But there is "No Remedy" yet for it .. presumably because the service depts. don't yet have the details nor the HV Battery Packs to swap them out. I just don't charge beyond 80% for now & I also have an inexpensive OBD that I monitor any deviation between the Cells. Everything looking fine, so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local dealer service manager suggested that Hyundai may want to buy back the car. Now I have someone in Consumer Services on the case, so I will see what happens. Keep us posted on what you do. I have loved my car up until now and wouldn’t want to give it up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Camiade - I am in NH and have the same thing going on (for the full story, see my new post). My car is being towed from the Service Dept. of my dealership (in Salem) to another dealership 30 minutes away (in Nashua) that supposedly has the equipment to perform the battery changeout. I also have a case open with Hyundai Customer Service in Corporate, and have updated them on what is going on with the car today.

Having read about the battery replacement timeline, I am highly skeptical that they'll be able to get their hands on a new battery and ship it over soon. I am talking with the dealership in Nashua about a loaner car, because I think this ordeal may cost me weeks and/or months. Glad I have a case open and phone number of a contact in Corporate to look into all of this. But, it's not looking good for the "Red Rocket".

If Hyundai bought the car back, I don't know what I'd do. I'd be hopeful for some compensation above and beyond the car's MSRP for the trouble and loss of use I'm experiencing. I don't know that I'd go for a new Kona - and if I did I'd ask for a trim upgrade (at least). Or reserve me an Ioniq 5 and call it even. I don't know. Like you, I LOVED the Kona EV like no other car I'd ever had, right up until the point that it died.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here. Love the car. If they just give me the “resale value” there will be a big legal fight before I agree to that.
I would much prefer a repair but apparently there won’t be batteries in the uk for that until November !!!
Problem is , if I get any amount of cash , it isn’t easy to just walk into a dealers and buy another. There is still a huge waiting list for most models. I will update when I know more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Skiesnpies - You're right; if they only offer resale value we'll band together and file a class action for 1. Safety risk (think Ford Pinto), 2. Loss of use (weeks and months without transportation), and 3. Fair reparations (making good on their "best in business" warranties). Offering anything less than MSRP and then some, will result in a public relations debacle so big, it would literally sink the launch of the Ioniq EV brand. Hyundai would be done-ski.

Keep us updated here on this thread, because it seems at least 3 of us here are in the same boat...or should I say, dead Kona. It's a big moment for Hyundai to step up and do the right thing and move forward, or screw things up even worse and watch their market share dwindle to nothing. I am anxious to talk to my Customer Service Rep. in California and see where this goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
La Trucha Loca, I agree with your assessment. Interestingly, my service department is happy to have my consumer rep on board. They are getting nowhere with corporate. I love my car and want it back. Even if it takes months-as long as I have a loaner. I honestly do know what else I would get. The Bolt is dull and has the same battery problem emerging. Tesla is god-awful ugly in the cabin. The Kona is really perfect for me, and once this is fixed, I expect to use it for many years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I seem luckier than most, Camiade - my car is at a dealership service department that has the equipment to do the battery changeout, and my service representative Darlene is absolutely wonderful. She is getting me a long term loaner car that I'll pick up this Wednesday. Like I said in my other post on this site, I won't know how long this will take until the dealer completes paperwork and formally requests a new battery. But in the meantime I am going to keep receipts for every gallon of gas I purchase, and any other costs that I wouldn't have spent with an EV. And then I am going to ask Hyundai Corporate to at least reimburse me...or put in a battery warmer for the winters here ;). If I get the red rocket back, excellent. If I don't, then the negotiating and wheeling and dealing starts. Either way, I feel I can't go wrong and will end up making out in the long run. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem luckier than most, Camiade - my car is at a dealership service department that has the equipment to do the battery changeout, and my service representative Darlene is absolutely wonderful. She is getting me a long term loaner car that I'll pick up this Wednesday. Like I said in my other post on this site, I won't know how long this will take until the dealer completes paperwork and formally requests a new battery. But in the meantime I am going to keep receipts for every gallon of gas I purchase, and any other costs that I wouldn't have spent with an EV. And then I am going to ask Hyundai Corporate to at least reimburse me...or put in a battery warmer for the winters here ;). If I get the red rocket back, excellent. If I don't, then the negotiating and wheeling and dealing starts. Either way, I feel I can't go wrong and will end up making out in the long run. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s great! I just received an email approving a rental. I have to put up the money up front. There is a site where I can submit for reimbursement. It seems straightforward enough. The strange thing is they allow $30 per day for a “Hyundai brand” (quotes are his) and $20 for a “non-Hyundai brand”. I have to get this clarified, because even in long term rentals, they offer a type of car, not a brand. Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have some “Hyundai brand wheels.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just curious, how much does it actually cost you per day for the rental? Sounds like they are giving you an allowance and there could be extra costs you are paying out of pocket. Plus it is more expensive to fuel an ICE rental car than your EV. So an extended period of dealing with some alternative transportation may cost non-trivial money out of pocket.

If the dealer provides a loaner from their fleet, it should be 100% free of charge to you. Providing a "free loaner" is fairly common practice for covered warranty repairs.
This "pay up and apply for reimbursement" scheme sounds like total BS to me.

As to why they give you more allowance if you want a Hyundai loaner, they would prefer you not to drive something else, plus it is probably easier for them to provide an used
Hyundai from their lot. They are incentivizing you to chose option A instead of option B.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
Just got an update from Hyundai New Zealand. It certainly contains nothing we don't already know but at least there's a directive to limit charge to 90%, which is important for liability, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Coder - I just picked up my POS Chevrolet Cruze loaner from Hyundai of Nashua, NH; seriously, it can't get out of its own way. It made me miss my Kona EV, especially when I went to officially clean it out before leaving the dealership. Despite that, I am thankful it's not costing me anything out of pocket...although they took my credit card for insurance, "in case there is any unforeseen damage."

Kiwi - Glad Hyundai did some "proactive" communication with you. I wonder when I get the Kona with the new battery back, if I'll be allowed to charge up to 100%. The New England winters take 10% of my charge, and another 10% going forward for me would suck. I am really leaning toward asking for a battery warmer when all of this is through. I think it's the least the company could do for loss of use, inconvenience, and aggravation.

Off to call the dealer service department, and hopefully get an update on a timeline for when this may all get taken care of. Then, a call to Hyundai Customer Service in California to update them and begin discussions on a potential and realistic path forward. I will keep you all updated on here. As always, it will be interesting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi La Trucha Loca! I posted a reply in the other section for li-battery replacement but I'll copy it here as well. I have a 2019 Kona EV:
This makes me nervous about my Kona EV. I'm also in New Hampshire, seacoast area. Can you tell us what model yours was and where you purchased it? Mine is a Kona Limited EV purchased from Rowe's Hyundai near Portland, ME. I had to purchase it out of state since at the time there didn't seem to be any NH dealers selling the EV and Rowe Hyundai had the best deals by a long shot. I have not had any problems with charging/driving that I'm aware of. I did have the 2 recalls done at Hampton Hyundai. I found out later that they are one of the only dealers in NH that now sell and service the Kona EV. They seem to be very knowledgeable on the EVs so I've been trusting them so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s great! I just received an email approving a rental. I have to put up the money up front. There is a site where I can submit for reimbursement. It seems straightforward enough. The strange thing is they allow $30 per day for a “Hyundai brand” (quotes are his) and $20 for a “non-Hyundai brand”. I have to get this clarified, because even in long term rentals, they offer a type of car, not a brand. Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have some “Hyundai brand wheels.
Just curious, how much does it actually cost you per day for the rental? Sounds like they are giving you an allowance and there could be extra costs you are paying out of pocket. Plus it is more expensive to fuel an ICE rental car than your EV. So an extended period of dealing with some alternative transportation may cost non-trivial money out of pocket.

If the dealer provides a loaner from their fleet, it should be 100% free of charge to you. Providing a "free loaner" is fairly common practice for covered warranty repairs.
This "pay up and apply for reimbursement" scheme sounds like total BS to me.

As to why they give you more allowance if you want a Hyundai loaner, they would prefer you not to drive something else, plus it is probably easier for them to provide an used
Hyundai from their lot. They are incentivizing you to chose option A instead of option B.
After pointing out some other issues I have had trying to rent, my representative pointed out to me that they are under no obligation to provide a car under the Hyundai warranty. They are just being nice. I am less and less impressed with them. Meanwhile my service department is working hard to get things done. They have obtained the tool they were told wouldn’t be ready til July. And they have ordered the battery. So that will be the wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After pointing out some other issues I have had trying to rent, my representative pointed out to me that they are under no obligation to provide a car under the Hyundai warranty. They are just being nice. I am less and less impressed with them. Meanwhile my service department is working hard to get things done. They have obtained the tool they were told wouldn’t be ready til July. And they have ordered the battery. So that will be the wait.
But to answer your actual question, for a long term rental for a Kona sized car, it is about $30 a day. And I agree it is BS. If they had any sense, they would be trying to mitigate the damage to trust and reputation by making this as painless as possible for customers.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
... I wonder when I get the Kona with the new battery back, if I'll be allowed to charge up to 100%. The New England winters take 10% of my charge, and another 10% going forward for me would suck. I am really leaning toward asking for a battery warmer when all of this is through. I think it's the least the company could do for loss of use, inconvenience, and aggravation.
I can't imagine why you would not be able to charge the new battery to 100%.
Hyundai are doing the right thing by replacing the defective part and providing you with transport while that happens. Most owners would be perfectly happy with that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me why some of you need to worry about long term rental? Is your Kona EV deemed unsafe to drive while you are waiting for the servicing dealer to get the necessary equipment, and the new battery shipped?

I figure I would just limit charging the car to 80% for now, and only give the car up to the dealer when they have everything lined up and ready to go. It should then only take a few days to do the swap, no?. Usually when my dealer does any work on any of my Hyundai-s ( we have 3 of them) and the work is covered under warranty, they always ask me if I need a loaner.
I had them do some non-warranty work, and in that case they said " sorry we cannot provide a loaner for non-warranty work". So this led me to believe that a free loaner was a given for any warranty work. They way they handle it , they just hand me the key for one of their cars on the lot, and when I bring it back, it is "no charge". This is why I was really surprised that some of you had to jump through hoops to pay up front and then apply for a reimbursement, subject to daily limit. (Maybe this is just a policy matter that changes from dealer to dealer).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts