Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with the Hyundai remote start ?
I have...big time .
I know of 2 people personally . It is a terrible and totally unreliable model . Distance is an issue and 10 minutes run time , also my horn honks when it shuts off WOW

·
Registered
35 Posts
Other than the 10 minute limit I have no problems. I assume distance is a safety and security issue. I like it better than Toyota’s because at least with a Hyundai owners can also set climate controls during remote start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than the 10 minute limit I have no problems. I assume distance is a safety and security issue. I like it better than Toyota’s because at least with a Hyundai owners can also set climate controls during remote start.
I had a 2019 Accent and the dealership put in an automate remote which I was very pleased with performance . The car I found was too small for my comfort so traded for a 2020Kona ....love the Kona . However compared to the Hyundai remote it sucks in features . It is very sub standard...distance is no where near the 2500 feet promised . Horn honking when it shuts off after 10 minutes is totally no use .

·
Registered
333 Posts
We have a 2019 Limited and the remote start has worked perfectly every time we've tried to use it, IF the car is locked first. One time, I tried to start it (it was in our driveway) and I got the message back that the car wasn't locked. Once we locked it everything worked as it is supposed to.

I find the 10 minutes to be ideal as it gives the engine a nice warm up so we get heat sooner, and everything seems to be smoother once we start driving.

I do wish there was a way to disable the flashing light while it's running, but they don't turn off until you touch the brake pedal in ours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you think what Hyundai offers for their remote capabilities isn't great - then don't even bother with the competitors. They're easily worse ..

With that being said, it has worked great for me. Luckily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The horn honking when is shutting off is of no benefit . I had an automate in my 2019 accent and it was much better . It had an 18 min. run time and little screen that counted down and also chirped when it was shutting off . To me that is a 2-way remote . Also USB charging . I feel it was a much better product .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldn't get mine to work at all (at first), although I could check the status of the car, use car locator, but always unsuccessful at starting. It appeared to meet all requirements. After calling the Blue Link folks, it was determined that simply locking the car using the door lock switch of the car was not enough; I had to "arm" the car as well. This involved a double click of the lock button on the key fob. It's worked perfectly fine after that.

So it was user error, not the vehicle! ;) I don't like the 10 minute runtime limit, but it doesn't run that long anyway, by the time I reach the car. Horn honking after reaching the limit? I'll have to let it go for 10 minutes to see what happens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't get mine to work at all (at first), although I could check the status of the car, use car locator, but always unsuccessful at starting. It appeared to meet all requirements. After calling the Blue Link folks, it was determined that simply locking the car using the door lock switch of the car was not enough; I had to "arm" the car as well. This involved a double click of the lock button on the key fob. It's worked perfectly fine after that.

So it was user error, not the vehicle! ;) I don't like the 10 minute runtime limit, but it doesn't run that long anyway, by the time I reach the car. Horn honking after reaching the limit? I'll have to let it go for 10 minutes to see what happens!
I sat in my car and put my timer on my phone on and it does run 10 minutes most of the time but very inconsistant .

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
266 Posts
HUH? I've never had to do that... I lock the car with 1 press of the door, bluelink will start car . Except the times I forget to lock at all or problems with reception something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has ANYONE figured out how to disable the horn honk after the remote start has elapsed the 10 minutes? It's banana's that this can't be disabled. I've looked all over online, and even tried giving the Hyundai Service team a $20 to do it for me 🤣

I get it that it's a security feature .... but not nice when it's 5:30 a.m. going to work and it has this obnoxious honk! Please, anyone I'm really interested to know if this can be disabled!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 Kona shuts off before the 10 minutes... it has been cold and wet in San Francisco the past week or so and it does not even get warm before it shuts off, it used to stay on. Is there a way to fix this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do Kona's shut off eventually if you use push button start, get out, and leave the car running?
Mine does. 2020 Limited FWD

Also, if I keep the tailgate up for more than a minute before opening the driver door and getting in, the car shuts off even before the 10 minute timer.

I've also gotten in the car's drivers seat and press the brake after remote app start, got out, and the car turned off. I did have the key in my pocket so the key was "out of the car." Normally, the car will still run, but complain that the key is not in the vehicle.

So... If I drive the car after the remote app start, I can then leave the vehicle with the key in my pocket and the car doesn't shut off (just chimes). Maybe... get in and press the brake then move the car into gear, then back to Park, then leave the car ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts