Hyundai Kona Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't mind the flashing lights as much as I mind the fact that at least the Hyundai system allows you to open the car door, without shutting the car off, like Toyota does!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I did a bit of research today and found out that the factory remote start is made by Compustart. To buy the components from them through Singh electronics (Canadian site) came out to $395.00 .CA, not including taxes and shippjng. That is for the PTS models. That included module, bypass module, remote transmitter and plug n play harness.
I don't mind the flashing lights as much as I mind the fact that at least the Hyundai system allows you to open the car door, without shutting the car off, like Toyota does!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I did a bit of research today and found out that the factory remote start is made by Compustart. To buy the components from them through Singh electronics (Canadian site) came out to $395.00 .CA, not including taxes and shippjng. That is for the PTS models. That included module, bypass module, remote transmitter and plug n play harness.
I'm impressed, how did you possibly find this out? And does this mean the module can be programmed to avoid the flashers to blink when the Kona is remote started?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm impressed, how did you possibly find this out? And does this mean the module can be programmed to avoid the flashers to blink when the Kona is remote started?
it was a lot of research and winter storm today so gave me something to do. The price was 395.00 including taxes and shipping. That part I do not know, you could ask Compustart about the flashers.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

You mean Compustar. (Edit,) yes you do, because I went to that site in Canada you posted.

Get the remotes with the side buttons to stop butt starts. Ask me how I know. I can start my Kona at the other end of a 60,000 sq ft building through multiple walls and start the seat heaters.

I have this remote and not the phone version , I have 2 remotes, Compustar conventional top button remotes have too soft of springs in them and they cause butt starts. You must get side button remotes and all is well. And of course a professional install too. Solder all connection too.

The nice thing about Comustar is the computer has a lifetime warranty and the way my installer has it setup is if I sell the car he can just pull the comper and anntena in 5 mins for free and leave the wiring harness behind and the car still works like OEM. When you get a new car you buy the $35 wiring harness and install fee of $80-100 and you have a car starter again for less $$$$ then buying new again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mean Compustar. (Edit,) yes you do, because I went to that site in Canada you posted.

Get the remotes with the side buttons to stop butt starts. Ask me how I know. I can start my Kona at the other end of a 60,000 sq ft building through multiple walls and start the seat heaters.

I have this remote and not the phone version , I have 2 remotes, Compustar conventional top button remotes have too soft of springs in them and they cause butt starts. You must get side button remotes and all is well. And of course a professional install too. Solder all connection too.

The nice thing about Comustar is the computer has a lifetime warranty and the way my installer has it setup is if I sell the car he can just pull the comper and anntena in 5 mins for free and leave the wiring harness behind and the car still works like OEM. When you get a new car you buy the $35 wiring harness and install fee of $80-100 and you have a car starter again for less $$$$ then buying new again.
Below is the reply from Singh electronics regarding the remote starter. Funny that they say no T harness is available yet they do list it on their site (not easy to find) as part DLHK9

Thank you for contacting us. For your 2020 Hyundai Kona push to start, we recommend using the Compustar FT-DC3-S remote starter brain for a 3x locking feature in your original/oem remote. If your looking to add a remote, you can use any Compustar RF kit for additional range. Listed below I have linked a few different options.

Normally for newer vehicles we recommend using a t-harness, so the installation is a plug and play style. Unfortunately there’s no t-harness available for your vehicle, so the remote starter will need to be hardwired. If you plan on installing this unit yourself, we also offer programming for $20 and we can programming the unit to your specific vehicle which will save you from purchase the iDatalink ADS-USB programming interface for $69. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (416) 745-1021 or in stores, we’re located at 7003 Steeles Avenue West, Toronto, ON.

Compustar FT-DC3-S Remote Starter Brain:
Compustar FT-DC3-S Remote Starter Brain

Compustar Prime T9 2-Way 3000-ft Range w/Installation:
Compustar Prime T9 2-Way 3000-ft Range w/ Installation

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Below is the reply from Singh electronics regarding the remote starter. Funny that they say no T harness is available yet they do list it on their site (not easy to find) as part DLHK9

Thank you for contacting us. For your 2020 Hyundai Kona push to start, we recommend using the Compustar FT-DC3-S remote starter brain for a 3x locking feature in your original/oem remote. If your looking to add a remote, you can use any Compustar RF kit for additional range. Listed below I have linked a few different options.

Normally for newer vehicles we recommend using a t-harness, so the installation is a plug and play style. Unfortunately there’s no t-harness available for your vehicle, so the remote starter will need to be hardwired. If you plan on installing this unit yourself, we also offer programming for $20 and we can programming the unit to your specific vehicle which will save you from purchase the iDatalink ADS-USB programming interface for $69. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (416) 745-1021 or in stores, we’re located at 7003 Steeles Avenue West, Toronto, ON.

Compustar FT-DC3-S Remote Starter Brain:
Compustar FT-DC3-S Remote Starter Brain

Compustar Prime T9 2-Way 3000-ft Range w/Installation:
Compustar Prime T9 2-Way 3000-ft Range w/ Installation

Yep, my guy had to hand solder it in since when I did mine the car was too new and no plug in harness was available. I was fine for it as far as warranty, because I needed a car starter and the factory one is crap as far a blinking lights and remote range/ options in the remote. If you have it done have them skip the wire in to the backup camera because what ever wire my did "nulled" the backup camera. he knew what to do to keep everything working and keep the backup camera working like OEM. You guys should know what not to do if the backup camera doesnt work with the hook up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, my guy had to hand solder it in since when I did mine the car was too new and no plug in harness was available. I was fine for it as far as warranty, because I needed a car starter and the factory one is crap as far a blinking lights and remote range/ options in the remote. If you have it done have them skip the wire in to the backup camera because what ever wire my did "nulled" the backup camera. he knew what to do to keep everything working and keep the backup camera working like OEM. You guys should know what not to do if the backup camera doesnt work with the hook up.
finding the correct compnents on Compustar is nearly impossible, i data site had a harness listed yesterday by year and model but now the same search criteria does not work. I am sure the harness from Hyundai would work since they seem to use Compustar system. At most I would have to replace the connector to module. Why would you even need a wire to the camera anyway, I see no use for it?
So now with correct components it will cost $250 CA with a 2way 3000 ft range remote which includes a $20 programming fee or for $69 get the programming cable and do it yourself

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
finding the correct compnents on Compustar is nearly impossible, i data site had a harness listed yesterday by year and model but now the same search criteria does not work. I am sure the harness from Hyundai would work since they seem to use Compustar system. At most I would have to replace the connector to module. Why would you even need a wire to the camera anyway, I see no use for it?
So now with correct components it will cost $250 CA with a 2way 3000 ft range remote which includes a $20 programming fee or for $69 get the programming cable and do it yourself
No, now I remember what it was, he had a harness and it affected the camera. So he had to go into "manual' wire mode.That's what it was. In those directions, they mount the antanna with the module, that's the exact antenna I have mounted on my windshield I think. I just have a longer Cat5 cable, that why I get better distance with my remote. Go for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, now I remember what it was, he had a harness and it affected the camera. So he had to go into "manual' wire mode.That's what it was. In those directions, they mount the antanna with the module, that's the exact antenna I have mounted on my windshield I think. I just have a longer Cat5 cable, that why I get better distance with my remote. Go for it.
If you order a new FOB you get an antenna and harness that mounts on windshield. Once I get all the finances settled with the bank (they have my cheque from insurance on hold even though they have paid off the loan portion from previous car) then I can order the parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it was a lot of research and winter storm today so gave me something to do. The price was 395.00 including taxes and shipping. That part I do not know, you could ask Compustart about the flashers.
They did not reply back to me about flashers but I am thinking they do not flash.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
No, now I remember what it was, he had a harness for Hyundai Tucson, and it affected the camera. So he had to go into "manual' wire mode.That's what it was. In those directions, they mount the antanna with the module, that's the exact antenna I have mounted on my windshield I think. I just have a longer Cat5 cable, that why I get better distance with my remote. Go for it.
They did not reply back to me about flashers but I am thinking they do not flash.
Since it is a Compustar, you can stop the light flashing issues, my guy did. All I get is if my hand brake is not engaged the front driving lights come on. Otherwise, my car is in stealth mode while running with the car starter as it should be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah this makes more sense. I was surprised since my authorized Compustar installer very confidently confirmed a harness wasn't available for the Kona with push button start. Compustar does have a harness for key-start Hyundais. And since the question was asked, the Compustar unit will not cause the blinkers to flash.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Compu
Ah this makes more sense. I was surprised since my authorized Compustar installer very confidently confirmed a harness wasn't available for the Kona with push button start. Compustar does have a harness for key-start Hyundais. And since the question was asked, the Compustar unit will not cause the blinkers to flash.
Compustar DOES have a push button start module that works on the Kona.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Compustar DOES have a push button start module that works on the Kona.
Yup, that's what I actually have. What I was saying is they don't have a plug-and-play wiring harness for push-button start. The module needed to be spliced/hardwired in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer installed remote start 2020 Kona, after 10 minutes run time the vehicle shuts off horn sounds ,wakes up neighborhood. Dealer tells me this is how it works . Why!!!! Horn sound after the remote starts , I don't need to advertise to the neighborhood that my car has shut off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer installed remote start 2020 Kona, after 10 minutes run time the vehicle shuts off horn sounds ,wakes up neighborhood. Dealer tells me this is how it works . Why!!!! Horn sound after the remote starts , I don't need to advertise to the neighborhood that my car has shut off.
Agreed this need to be able to shut off, I beleive that the dealer can adjust the run time to max 15 minutes, and that horn has to be able to be turned off it lasts about 3 times longer than the annoying door lock horn fro mthe FOB. If any techs are on here I would appreciate some info on how do get this removed.

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone installed a Compustar remote system in a key start 2019 Kona? I'm looking to do it myself instead of having it installed but not sure if it'll be difficult or not. Also any suggestions on which one to get?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts