Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm having a Viper remote start installed on my new Kona on Saturday. Anyone else have a Viper
We had Viper remote start systems for years on our Nissan's (2000, 2003, and 2006) and they worked really well. The only downside I could mention is the cost of the remotes should your get damaged or stop functioning. They were crazy expensive to replace, so we actually ended up abandoning the systems when the remotes failed. That said, they lasted a long time so probably one of the better systems around.

Make sure the installer is credible and likely to stay in business, as they will most likely be your source for service in the future (or not as the case maybe with companies that do this type of work).

If you intend to keep the Kona a long time, you might consider buying an extra remote up front, as it might just be cheaper then as opposed to replacing one 7-10 years down the line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We had Viper remote start systems for years on our Nissan's (2000, 2003, and 2006) and they worked really well. The only downside I could mention is the cost of the remotes should your get damaged or stop functioning. They were crazy expensive to replace, so we actually ended up abandoning the systems when the remotes failed. That said, they lasted a long time so probably one of the better systems around.

Make sure the installer is credible and likely to stay in business, as they will most likely be your source for service in the future (or not as the case maybe with companies that do this type of work).

If you intend to keep the Kona a long time, you might consider buying an extra remote up front, as it might just be cheaper then as opposed to replacing one 7-10 years down the line.
I've had remote starts on just about all my cars. Most aftermarket and one factory. They all came as a set of 2, so I always had 2 remotes.
The installer has been an upscale company and has been in business for decades (I believe since 1936) They have a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. That's why they are a tiny bit more costly than Best Buy. They are a family owned business and are located on 70 acres of land north of Chicago. So I think I'm in pretty good hands. :)
The only downside I see is having to carry around 2 FOB's That's why a factory remote is better = only 1 FOB.
I guess I'll get use to it, like I'll have to get use to the stupid push button start (what a PITA) instead of a key.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but for those who have installed the OEM remote starter (specifically for push button start trims), do the flashers blink continuously while the engine is running similar to when using BlueLink, or is there a setting that the dealer can configure to avoid this? If helpful, more details are in this thread from Reddit:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but for those who have installed the OEM remote starter (specifically for push button start trims), do the flashers blink continuously while the engine is running similar to when using BlueLink, or is there a setting that the dealer can configure to avoid this? If helpful, more details are in this thread from Reddit:

Thanks in advance!
Following as I am wanting to know as well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update on my end: talking to and emailing several dealerships in both the US and Canada, it seems pretty much confirmed that the OEM remote start will behave exactly like in BlueLink without any way for them to change this configuration :(

I therefore ended up having a Compustar unit installed last week, and so far so good. While the engine is running it only keeps on the daytime running lights (IMO a perfect balance between notifying its surroundings that the engine is running but without attracting much attention), and to my pleasant surprise all the proximity features of the Hyundai fob remain usable! It's not even necessary to restart the engine after getting in. The only possible downside is that a wire harness isn't available for the Kona with this Compustar package, so the wires had to be spliced in, i.e. no way to return exactly to the factory condition if the need arises.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, which compustar system did you end up going with and assume it has to use a seperate remote?

TIA

Update on my end: talking to and emailing several dealerships in both the US and Canada, it seems pretty much confirmed that the OEM remote start will behave exactly like in BlueLink without any way for them to change this configuration :(

I therefore ended up having a Compustar unit installed last week, and so far so good. While the engine is running it only keeps on the daytime running lights (IMO a perfect balance between notifying its surroundings that the engine is running but without attracting much attention), and to my pleasant surprise all the proximity features of the Hyundai fob remain usable! It's not even necessary to restart the engine after getting in. The only possible downside is that a wire harness isn't available for the Kona with this Compustar package, so the wires had to be spliced in, i.e. no way to return exactly to the factory condition if the need arises.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, which compustar system did you end up going with and assume it has to use a seperate remote?

TIA
My invoice says "CS-7200 BLADE AL". I had it done (parts and labor) by a local car electronics store (authorized Compustar dealer), specifying that I wanted the 2-way feature. He then looked up what unit would work for my 2020 Kona with push-button start. It indeed comes with a separate remote (the small 1-button kind like the CS-1900). But that's not really a downside since even the Hyundai OEM one requires carrying a similar separate remote along with the fob. Luckily though, after using the Compustar remote for remote starting, I can then use the proximity feature of the fob, so no need to pull it back out of my pocket/bag. The other thing with this Compustar unit is that it came included with a Drone module, so (assuming I decide to pay the monthly $5-ish subscription), I can remote start from my phone, and therefore just need to carry the Hyundai fob on me. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My invoice says "CS-7200 BLADE AL". I had it done (parts and labor) by a local car electronics store (authorized Compustar dealer), specifying that I wanted the 2-way feature. He then looked up what unit would work for my 2020 Kona with push-button start. It indeed comes with a separate remote (the small 1-button kind like the CS-1900). But that's not really a downside since even the Hyundai OEM one requires carrying a similar separate remote along with the fob. Luckily though, after using the Compustar remote for remote starting, I can then use the proximity feature of the fob, so no need to pull it back out of my pocket/bag. The other thing with this Compustar unit is that it came included with a Drone module, so (assuming I decide to pay the monthly $5-ish subscription), I can remote start from my phone, and therefore just need to carry the Hyundai fob on me. Hope this helps!
Awesome and tha is for the info! Our Acadia has the remote start along with starting by phone and I love that feature down here in FL. Especially when we spend a day at a Disney park and as we are walking back just start it with my phone and have it cooled down by the time we get to the car.

Deffinately see me adding this to my Kona.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the remote start with my new Kona Trend. It works fine, but does seem to shut off too early. I haven't timed it though. In my climate, the heated seats and steering wheel are quick and usually sufficient so haven't used remote start as often as had expected.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey all, anyone looked into or installed a remote start kit to their Kona Limited?
Any recommendations?

Cheers, John
OEM, sorry I will pass. Low range, lights flashing from what I read. I like CompuStar, one of the better ones. The main computer has a lifetime warranty. When you sell the car, you just unplug the CompuStar main computer and pull the antenna ( 5 to 10 min job), and leave the wiring harness. Then when you buy a new car you buy a wiring harness $35 and install your car starter. I like the side button remotes because it stops "butt starts". This remote is great, and I can start my car in buildings with multiple walls between me and the car. I can be inside movie theaters and I can start it. With this T9, remote I can start my seat heaters from the remote.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got the remote start with my new Kona Trend. It works fine, but does seem to shut off too early. I haven't timed it though. In my climate, the heated seats and steering wheel are quick and usually sufficient so haven't used remote start as often as had expected.
My bluelink only does steering wheel... there's no option to heat the seats?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My bluelink only does steering wheel... there's no option to heat the seats?
Based on what I read, there's no way to turn on the heated seats with Bluelink, the OEM starter or any third-party starter. Unlike the heated steering wheel (so jealous that the Canadian Kona's have this but not the US ones!), the heated seat button has to be pushed every time the car is turned back on. Luckily though, the seats heat up super quickly, faster than any other cars I've experienced.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Based on what I read, there's no way to turn on the heated seats with Bluelink, the OEM starter or any third-party starter. Unlike the heated steering wheel (so jealous that the Canadian Kona's have this but not the US ones!), the heated seat button has to be pushed every time the car is turned back on. Luckily though, the seats heat up super quickly, faster than any other cars I've experienced.
The seat heater button absolutely does not have to be manually pushed. It just takes an advanced system like a CompuStar to do it. My guy had zero issue making it work with the Kona. You do have to have the top 2-3 digital screened remotes though. I don't have heated seats for now since I put in Elantra GT Sport front seats in my car and I have not rewired it to the Kona seat heater wiring yet. But for 1 year/Minnesota winter I had oem Kona seats in and I had the option to turn on my heated seats, and did it on a regular basis. It would come on on the lowest setting where I always used it at as not to stress out the alternator. If I hit the button the second time it would go to medium and another hit and it would go to high. There is nothing impressive in a oem seat heater setup. I just don't get why people have all this love for them. Any issues with warranty or weird things happening all you have to do is pull the plug from the CompuStar computer and push in a dumb plug that the dealers have and it goes back to oem wiring path. My guy solders and 3M shrinks all connections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a Hyundai remote start kit for my 2020 Kona SEL. #J9F57 AC200. This is for a push button start. Install is plug and play, no splicing into any harness. Dealer quoted $200-$250 for install, seems high considering the install just a plug in and go and reading the instructions shouldn't take more than an hour. Any one have experience putting one of these in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got a Hyundai remote start kit for my 2020 Kona SEL. #J9F57 AC200. This is for a push button start. Install is plug and play, no splicing into any harness. Dealer quoted $200-$250 for install, seems high considering the install just a plug in and go and reading the instructions shouldn't take more than an hour. Any one have experience putting one of these in?
It indeed sounded relatively straightforward when I read the instructions online, however there is a note saying something like professional installation by a certified Hyundai tech is highly recommended. The dealer installation charge is highway robbery, but it can save a lot of headache in the future with possible warranty claims. Otherwise, any electronic/engine/battery issue the dealer will by default blame you. They can't by law refuse to honor the warranty if the starter you installed isn't at fault, but it can easily turn into a blame game...

BTW, once it's installed, could you kindly post back to let us know your experience with the OEM starter causing the flashers to blink while the engine is running?

·
Registered
171 Posts
BTW, once it's installed, could you kindly post back to let us know your experience with the OEM starter causing the flashers to blink while the engine is running?
I believe it's been posted here that it does by default due to Korean regulations requiring this.
I wish there was a way to do heated seats through BlueLink :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got back from the dealer install of the push button start remote starter for my 2020 Kona. The lights do continually flash when the car is started by remote starter. Job took about 2 hrs. It was the first one the dealer had done. Works well but the fan must be left on for either the heat or AC in summer. Still better than sitting in a cold car waiting for it to heat/cool up/down.

Tonyb1947 formally TonyB.96LT4

·
Registered
907 Posts
Why Hyundai has all the drama with flashing lights I wonder, more stupidity I guess. The only lights that are on with mine are the front daytime lights, but IF I put my parking brake on, they go off. Have you tried pulling the parking brake to see if your 911 Kona will stop flashing its lights?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts