Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, anyone looked into or installed a remote start kit to their Kona Limited?
Any recommendations?

Cheers, John

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got the factory one installed, it wasn't terribly expensive. You get an additional fob that also works as a lock/unlock.

The run time here in Canada sucks though, 8min max supposedly

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey all, anyone looked into or installed a remote start kit to their Kona Limited?
Any recommendations?

Cheers, John
Wanting to know about this too. I am debating on either having the dealer install the factory one, or having an aftermarket installed. I want to know how well the factory one works. What kind of range does it have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the from factory for my Accent and. Just went to the dealer in Canada and they changed the time from 8 min to 15 min. No problem. Just have to ask

·
Registered
128 Posts
Range is at least a couple hundred feet on the OEM one. Haven't tried more yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, today just made an appointment to have an after market "viper" unit installed. Simply extra button for remote start, only change will be when running on remote start the car door will only unlock with remote start button. All other times it will work oem control. Question of door handle opening while running, seems to be yes ? Been told, Hyundia does not sell remote start kits until they OEM creates them with harness connectors ! Dealerships are not allowed to splice into wires for installations ! So I do not know how dealerships are selling aftermarket kit add ons under the "Dealership contract" ? Also it takes over a year for oem harness adaptable kits to be created by Hyundia , so I am told again. My quote is $300 for install. Avital unit would cost $50 more but identical unit used, just a name change. Longer range units will go up $100-200 more if desired, like led display key remote. Open to comments, same installer does installations for same dealer I purchased vehicle from. I got short range unit, only need 30 ft to car for control, view from window, and tail lights will lite when remote started. OH, Kona SEL with pkg. not limited.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, today just made an appointment to have an after market "viper" unit installed. Simply extra button for remote start, only change will be when running on remote start the car door will only unlock with remote start button. All other times it will work oem control. Question of door handle opening while running, seems to be yes ? Been told, Hyundia does not sell remote start kits until they OEM creates them with harness connectors ! Dealerships are not allowed to splice into wires for installations ! So I do not know how dealerships are selling aftermarket kit add ons under the "Dealership contract" ? Also it takes over a year for oem harness adaptable kits to be created by Hyundia , so I am told again. My quote is $300 for install. Avital unit would cost $50 more but identical unit used, just a name change. Longer range units will go up $100-200 more if desired, like led display key remote. Open to comments, same installer does installations for same dealer I purchased vehicle from. I got short range unit, only need 30 ft to car for control, view from window, and tail lights will lite when remote started. OH, Kona SEL with pkg. not limited.
Hyundaishop.com sells an OEM one for the KONA.
https://hyundaishop.com/hyundai-kona-remote-car-starter-v012/

I looked at the instructions and yeah, there's no wire splicing involved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an oem remote start installed right now. I don't know why they would lie to you.

The door button and proximity detection and everything still works with it

·
Registered
268 Posts
Gee, but the remote is $415 plus labor @$150 , guessing two hours at least , that is Jumping up big time the price. Tough decision now. Instructions are easy, but I even tried to find the dam three pins to pull off the side cover a few times and have not been successful yet ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine was 630CAN(399+ labour + 12%tax) installed with one two way fob and one one way fob.

No haggling or anything.

I would hope the USD one would be closer to $450 or $500USD

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have a Compustar car started and my guy pushed me to that one as it has a lifetime warranty on the computer unit and he said it is a tier up from Viper that he also sells. Viper is his discount brand.

https://www.compustar.com/systems/remote-start

Also to note here, if you sell your car take your unit out if you want to use it in you new car. My guy pulled it for free from my Elantra GT it took him 4 mins to pull the antenna and computer and he leaves the wiring kit behind, because the new wiring kit costs as much as his labor to un-wire it. It is designed to work like normal when you pill the computer. My unit works through anywhere in a 60,000 sq ft building and 2 walls.

This remote stops pocket starts since the button is on the side.

https://www.compustar.com/remotes/prime-t9/

·
Registered
244 Posts
The remote start listed will work on the KONA , a member in another group just had it installed and no in terms of it stating key start also use the Part # and search for a better price and buy it and have a dealer install it for you this will give you the full warranty and cover any issues vs an outside shop doing it for you. Lowest I found was 350 and install is 1 hour. Reason I would go with the branded Hyundai part vs aftermarket is ECU issues years later as this happened on my Subaru with a Viper that caused the ECU to shut down.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
There are two part numbers;:smile:

The Genuine OEM Hyundai Kona Remote Starter (V112) will fit the 2018 Hyundai Kona models with Key-Start!
Manufacturer Part Number: J9F57-AC100
Fitment Notes: Key-Start Models Only. (SE Trim)

Hyundai Kona Remote Car Starter (V012) [/B]is for the any Kona with a Key FOB. Which is on sale at Hyundai Shop for $414.95 . You'd have to call them for the other Keyed part number.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
Called two dealerships, both stated not available oem for kona push button start, but offered after market for $499 ! A $200 mark up from local guy that does it for them ! Will save the $200 and go direct to aftermarket guy. Have used him before and never an issue yet. They are so smart the dealerships, they read right off the item page infromation. Then again, told me they had no service manual for KONA, and just guessed at fixing them !! Liar's .

·
Registered
268 Posts
for ur information, had the installer leave the drivers side dash cover off, because I just never could get it to pry out easy ! Now I know where the five tabs are that hold it in place for any future needs. Avital model 4115L was installed, so one extra remote, one button use. Same as my Subie. Little different operation though. So oem or not available, still from my end hear NO ! No confidence in Hyundia at all as a dealership goes ! Feel llike the 60's trying to talk to a VW dealership with harsh german accent, LOL, as comparison. Seems dumb dealerships, only interested in sales, not customer service. Only honest person was my sales person, who actually stated when she did not know something, and they never trained them on it ! Can yo say, "mismangement" ! Losing faith as time goes on with Hyundia dealerships ! Have not evern got my first oil change yet !

1 - 20 of 81 Posts