Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Despite apparently being a Hyundai mechanic he doesn’t make the connection that a defective gearbox resulted in dirty oil. He seems to think the opposite happened as though it’s a characteristic of EVs.

EDIT May 2022: Unfortunately it seems that fouling the oil actually is a characteristic of the Kona gearbox.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kiwi, are you questioning the chain of causality proposed by the mechanic?

I.e. the black fluid in the video is not the result of "normal" wear, but a consequence of some
other, coincidental gearbox failure? Perhaps massive amounts of wear metals?
Totally black fluid at 50K km is unusual for a transmission..

He seems to recommend more frequent inspection and replacing on a regular schedule.
Something like every 40K Kilometers, although I am not sure how we can inspect the fluid, without draining at least some of it out.
Does the gearbox have a dip stick? I am curious, do we know what type of gearbox fluid to use for this application?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yes, based on what we're seeing it's certainly a good preventative measure, which I will do once I figure out what size socket I need. My Kona is out of warranty now, bumper to bumper and mechanical, only the battery one left - another 7 years.
But, living at the end of the world, the Redline will cost me nearly $50 but at least it's available.

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
Yes, based on what we're seeing it's certainly a good preventative measure, which I will do once I figure out what size socket I need. My Kona is out of warranty now, bumper to bumper and mechanical, only the battery one left - another 7 years.
But, living at the end of the world, the Redline will cost me nearly $50 but at least it's available.
Redline makes excellent products.. That’s a high price to pay, but will be worth it in the end..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just to update this thread on this quiet forum, multiple owners globally of Kona and Niro have now changed their reduction gearbox oil and ALL have found it pitch-black anytime after 3,700 km. I'd strongly suggest you'd be doing yourself a favour by getting this done on your own EV sooner rather than later due to the puzzling lack of a magnetic drain plug. All the information you need is here or in the link AusKona has provided in the previous post. If you get the dealer to do it, don't let them talk you out of because it's not on the maintenance schedule. If you grab 2 bottles of the Redline oil above, any car workshop can do this for you quickly using their lift. Torque spec is 33-44 lb-ft or 45-60 Nm.

Two owners (including AusKona) have commissioned an oil analysis and in both cases iron is elevated while aluminium and silicon are over acceptable limits.

If you wish you can install a magnetic drain plug in the drain and optionally in the filler openings. There is one available from Hyundai p/n 00810-17121 or search Amazon for:

VOTEX - MADE IN USA - DP007 Stainless Steel Engine Oil Drain Plug with Neodymium Magnet (M18 X 1.5 X 15 MM)

A pack of spare washers:

VOTEX - MADE IN USA - 20 Pack - M18 Aluminum Oil or Coolant Crush Washers/Drain Plug Seal Ring Gasket

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you heard from anyone who purchased and installed this part?
Here is a picture. It appears identical to the non-magnetic plug which I have on my bench. I have not installed this one, but I have installed a different non-Hyundai one with no ill effects so far.
Font Rectangle Electric blue Liquid Auto part

The black one below is the genuine non-magnetic plug. The silver one is the one I installed.

Automotive tire Coin Household hardware Nickel Wood

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Limited EV
54 Posts
…I have installed a different non-Hyundai one with no ill effects

The silver one is the one I installed.
I’m guessing that’s the vortex brand one? If so, does it protrude further than the original? Did you change the plugs and oil yourself? I like to do the maintenance on my own vehicles but this being a brand new vehicle and EV at that, I’ve yet to really do anything besides altering the aesthetics with led bulbs and such. I did get better tires as the originals were just awful.

I might go with the Hyundai brand plug and redline gear oil when I have time to work on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m guessing that’s the vortex brand one?
Yep.
If so, does it protrude further than the original?
Yes, but I tested to see how much room there was to spare before installing. There is plenty.
Did you change the plugs and oil yourself?
Yes. See the thread linked to in Reply #13 above. Pages 6 onwards cover it.
I like to do the maintenance on my own vehicles but this being a brand new vehicle and EV at that, I’ve yet to really do anything besides altering the aesthetics with led bulbs and such. I did get better tires as the originals were just awful.

I might go with the Hyundai brand plug and redline gear oil when I have time to work on it.
We (KiwiME and myself who have done this) think that the magnet in the Hyundai plug is likely weaker than the one we used but won't know for sure until someone else on another forum posts their assessment.

Whatever you use, you will need a new aluminum sealing washer every time you remove and replace a plug. Also a torque wrench.

The benefit of the Hyundai plug is that service people will not see a difference in the plugs so liklihood of accusations of unauthorised work during the warranty period are remote.

·
Registered
554 Posts
... I like to do the maintenance on my own vehicles but this being a brand new vehicle and EV at that...
... when I have time to work on it.
When you do get around to and see what the oil looks like it I suspect you'll wish (as I did) that you'd done it sooner! I delayed this for 2 years because it was unfamiliar territory but in the end it's no different from changing the oil in a diff, transfer or conventional gearbox. Add to that the lack of a magnet and it's not a pretty picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't help but suspect that it may have an additive such as molybdenum from OEM which may be omitted at OE level. Noise could be a separate issue. It's not common for any gearbox to fall apart from the lack of an oil change. Lack of oil yes. It doesn't add up to me. I would love to get my hands on a new car with 0km and a take apart a faulty gearbox. This sounds like you changed headlight bulb now the car won't start. I think ok there is gear box issue. Also fun fact the gear oil used is black. Is the mag plug picking up particles from the black oil. Like the Ferro fluid videos on YouTube? Happy to be wrong I wish I had one to look at and work out.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts