Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The owner of the video wants his Youtube clicks, so you can get there by the Youtube link.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
257 Posts
Despite apparently being a Hyundai mechanic he doesn’t make the connection that a defective gearbox resulted in dirty oil. He seems to think the opposite happened as though it’s a characteristic of EVs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kiwi, are you questioning the chain of causality proposed by the mechanic?

I.e. the black fluid in the video is not the result of "normal" wear, but a consequence of some
other, coincidental gearbox failure? Perhaps massive amounts of wear metals?
Totally black fluid at 50K km is unusual for a transmission..

He seems to recommend more frequent inspection and replacing on a regular schedule.
Something like every 40K Kilometers, although I am not sure how we can inspect the fluid, without draining at least some of it out.
Does the gearbox have a dip stick? I am curious, do we know what type of gearbox fluid to use for this application?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ah the fluid is 70W, API GL-4, TCGO-9(MS517-14)

You only need about a quart. It does not seem like a huge deal to replace it at 25K miles, and at least see what it looks like.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
257 Posts
Yes, based on what we're seeing it's certainly a good preventative measure, which I will do once I figure out what size socket I need. My Kona is out of warranty now, bumper to bumper and mechanical, only the battery one left - another 7 years.
But, living at the end of the world, the Redline will cost me nearly $50 but at least it's available.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Yes, based on what we're seeing it's certainly a good preventative measure, which I will do once I figure out what size socket I need. My Kona is out of warranty now, bumper to bumper and mechanical, only the battery one left - another 7 years.
But, living at the end of the world, the Redline will cost me nearly $50 but at least it's available.
Redline makes excellent products.. That’s a high price to pay, but will be worth it in the end..

·
Registered
2019 Kona EV
224 Posts
What about the motor? Are the bearings sealed, or does oil circulate to them as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts