Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a very very small way to reduce the heat soak you get when you turn your Kona turbo off after driving it. Pull the gasket that seals the engine along the back of the cowl/firewall. I find quite a bit of heat comes out of here up to 3 hours after shutting off a fully heated up car. This is a trick used by many on many of the different manufactures turbo forums with good luck on reducing the "oven effect". You just don't seem to get this much heat out from the sides of the hood like you do with this. In winter, I will reinstall it.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the post.

I might be a bit hesitant to do this, as most of the electronics, a few of speakers and cabin sensor are in quite close proximity to the back of the firewall. Not to mention, the air conditioning ducts.:plain:

I believe, by pulling the heat blanket on the firewall, it might allow most of the heat soak from the engine compartment and turbo to transfer to the backside of the firewall, then to the dash panel where a all the electronics are. Especially, since the turbo is on the rear of the engine, directly parallel to the firewall.

Keeping in mind it's just a bit hotter where we are located out west.

I imagine cabin heat transferred from the engine compartment is probably not much of an issue in Minnesota. However, here in NM as in Texas, AZ and NV, it's a big factor. We get temperatures ranging from the low 100's in NM & Texas to near 118+ further west in Arizona and Nevada, most of the summer months. Cabin temps climb to well over 110, even in the shade, without help from a hot engine compartment.:smile: I don't believe raising the temp further, is good for sake of the electronics or anything inside the cabin.

Heat and hot air rises, if allowed to do so. So if the heat soak from the turbo or engine compartment is a real problem, maybe it would be better just to raise the hood and allow it to escape inside the garage or outside parked in the driveway. You can always assist the process by use racing air mover (ie., carpet fan) directed at the radiator, with the hood up to cool it down quicker. There are many to choose from and aren't expensive. We use these all the time between races. I have one in the garage and use when I want to cool the engine down on the motorcycles or cars quicker. They work great!

Just a thought.:smile:

https://aerindustries.com/air-movers/

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, You are way out in left field. I am talking about the "rim" gasket that takes 2 seconds to take off. If I open my hood, I can grab it and pull it off in 2 seconds. Open your hood and look you see what I am talking about. And in no way does this do ANYTHING to an components. You ridding heat, not increasing heat. The only component would be the wiper motor and that is 8 inches deep in the cowl. Not even an issue.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Now I understand, you're talking about the weatherstripping at the back. I'll stick to the opening the hood method and utilizing my fan. Works better and I won't have any water infiltration from the outside when it rains.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now I understand, you're talking about the weatherstripping at the back. I'll stick to the opening the hood method and utilizing my fan. Works better and I won't have any water infiltration from the outside when it rains.

Blessings and Peace

You would look kinda funny having your car's hood open in front of a 15 story office building every day.:smile_big: I questioned the water infiltration too, we had a major downpour the other day and no water made in into the engine area. There is only a 1/4 slit inside that is "deep" inside the hood where that gasket is. If you multiply the width of the hood, that make for a nice area for heat to get out and reduce s"toasting " your battery and other parts. Just an idea for the ones who are willing to test and see if it works for them. So far I see no downside, only an upside to get the heat out. I think I will be putting it back in, in winter time. But then again I will see how it works with snow.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I don't park my Kona in front of 15 story buildings on any day, as I have a garage and a house.:grin: Besides, you can't open the hood with the alarm on anyway.:smile_big:

I'm not really concerned about heat soak. It's already heat soaked here in ambient temperature.:surprise: So a quarter of an inch without some wind, isn't going to make but a few degrees difference when we're out shopping either.:grin: If I desire too, I can cool it down with the hood open and the fan blowing in the garage, just as easy and probably much quicker. However removing the weatherstripping from the back of the hood isn't really going to make an significant difference. I'm not racing the Kona and have no plans too either.

If you'd like, I can do an infrared temp gun comparison though.:wink:

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
20 Posts
I don't park my Kona in front of 15 story buildings on any day, as I have a garage and a house.:grin: Besides, you can't open the hood with the alarm on anyway.:smile_big:

I'm not really concerned about heat soak. It's already heat soaked here in ambient temperature.:surprise: So a quarter of an inch without some wind, isn't going to make but a few degrees difference when we're out shopping either.:grin: If I desire too, I can cool it down with the hood open and the fan blowing in the garage, just as easy and probably much quicker. However removing the weatherstripping from the back of the hood isn't really going to make an significant difference. I'm not racing the Kona and have no plans too either.

If you'd like, I can do an infrared temp gun comparison though.:wink:

Blessings and Peace
Actually you can open the hood if the window is down with the alarm on. What he is talking about is like another common mod in the import world, like hood spacers to help alleviate excessive heat under the hood. It works, just hurts your aerodynamics. That seal in the back is not to prevent water intrusion, but to prevent a high pressure wake from exiting the rear of the hood while driving. On a performance oriented vehicle, say one that does see track usage, it will effect gas mileage and acceleration. on a daily driver, it will have little effect of driveablity.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I'll pass thanks!

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Weather Seal Removal and Hood Riser Don't Work

Actually you can open the hood if the window is down with the alarm on. What he is talking about is like another common mod in the import world, like hood spacers to help alleviate excessive heat under the hood. It works, just hurts your aerodynamics. That seal in the back is not to prevent water intrusion, but to prevent a high pressure wake from exiting the rear of the hood while driving. On a performance oriented vehicle, say one that does see track usage, it will effect gas mileage and acceleration. on a daily driver, it will have little effect of drivability.
Thanks for the comments but I'll have to disagree with you on several points.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums...icers-actually-hurt-performance-your-car.html

This should explain quite well, the grammer is not great but the photos and explanation will suffice. :wink:

Hood Riser and removing the rear seal on the hood just don't work plain and simple.:smile:

As far as the alarm is concerned; in Albuquerque, NM, (as well as other major cities) leaving the hood up and the windows down even with the alarm on, will most certainly result in vandalism and or theft of your vehicle. So, it's not something I believe I'll be doing at anytime. :grin:

The weather seal is just what it was designed to do; be a weather seal no more no less. It also aids the thermal fire blanket to smother a possible engine fire. No, it won't put it out but it will give you enough time to exit the vehicle and get to a safe distance.

Thanks I'll pass on either!!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Mainia1

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Also I don't like the labeling of anyone. So disregard the comments in the article please, this is not me or how I look at others. You're welcome to label yourself however it doesn't mean I'll agree with you or endorse it. We are all here by the grace of God.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Why "hood risers" are for ricers and actually hurt the performance of your car.

This should explain quite well, the grammer is not great but the photos and explanation will suffice. :wink:

Hood Riser and removing the rear seal on the hood just don't work plain and simple.:smile:

As far as the alarm is concerned; in Albuquerque, NM, (as well as other major cities) leaving the hood up and the windows down even with the alarm on, will most certainly result in vandalism and or theft of your vehicle. So, it's not something I believe I'll be doing at anytime. :grin:

The weather seal is just what it was designed to do; be a weather seal no more no less. It also aids the thermal fire blanket to smother a possible engine fire. No, it won't put it out but it will give you enough time to exit the vehicle and get to a safe distance.

Blessings and Peace

Good article, makes sense to me. I can see where you could screw up the flow over the cowl, a low head dam raceway with with backflow comes to mind.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Now, lets talk about oil Maina1. I'm interested in picking your brain, so to speak. Seriously, oil is the life's blood of the Kona.

Find your other thread and respond or start another one. Let's share some good information.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
20 Posts

Why "hood risers" are for ricers and actually hurt the performance of your car.

Blessings and Peace

Ah i see you believethe sales pitch on the hood insulation. The hood insulation wont help with a fire. Its only there for 2 reasons. 1) reduce engine sound transmission. 2) reduce damage to the paint due to the engine heat. Also notice you never get a discount on your car insurance for having one?

As i said, the hood seal and spacers hurt aerodynamics, except with high hp track cars, where they use diverters, canards, naca ducts and other aero enhancers to help with cooling as well.

As for the hood alarm, there isn't one. Opening the hood of a locked car will not set off the alarm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.