Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kona's built after May 2018 have new headlight projectors.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-h...1420702695389/

"The original design of the LED headlights available on the Limited and Ultimate trims produced too much glare for oncoming drivers to be rated higher than poor by IIHS. Hyundai has revised those headlights on Konas built after May 2018 and earned a good rating. (The Kona's standard halogen headlights still receive a poor rating regardless of build date.)"

Wonder if there'll be a recall to change the headlights. have to wait 'n see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
New IIHS standard have becoming increasingly stringent in regards to lighting systems. There have only been a handful of new models that have gotten anything above a good rating. This could be a fairly expensive recall if Hyundai goes that route with how many Kona's that have already been sold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on the nature of the mod. Could be something relatively simple. Could also be a great PR opportunity.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No, there are no recalls for the LED's on the Limited or Ultimate. There are currently "0" recalls for the Kona. There have been a few technical service bulletins (TBS) but no recalls.

NHTSA shows;

0 RECALLS, 0 INVESTIGATIONS, 0 COMPLAINTS

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
224 Posts
A recall would be issued if something was wrong or not working as intended. What happened with the headlights is that Hyundai decided to upgrade them on the higher level trims part way through the model year in order to get the IIHS rating. While they could offer it as a free upgrade to early buyers, its likely not a simple or inexpensive change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs a few weeks ago about the headlights and was told they were not planning to issue a recall to replace the headlights on the cars manufactured prior to May 2018.

The headlights are the one thing I do not like about the car, they seem dim and have poor light beam spread. It's decent on the straight away, but if I'm in an area with no street lights it's difficult to see the road when making a left turn. Hyundai suggested I have the dealership check the headlights, which I did and they raised the aim of the headlights higher to match that of another Kona on their lot. The situation is better, but the lights are still not as good as my old 2010 Genesis coupe. I've considered buying new bulbs to see if that will help but the local auto parts store says they can't tell me what to buy because Hyundai hasn't released the Kona specs to manufacturers yet.

(I loved the Genesis Coupe, but was forced into a new car after the old one was totalled.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs a few weeks ago about the headlights and was told they were not planning to issue a recall to replace the headlights on the cars manufactured prior to May 2018.

The headlights are the one thing I do not like about the car, they seem dim and have poor light beam spread. It's decent on the straight away, but if I'm in an area with no street lights it's difficult to see the road when making a left turn. Hyundai suggested I have the dealership check the headlights, which I did and they raised the aim of the headlights higher to match that of another Kona on their lot. The situation is better, but the lights are still not as good as my old 2010 Genesis coupe. I've considered buying new bulbs to see if that will help but the local auto parts store says they can't tell me what to buy because Hyundai hasn't released the Kona specs to manufacturers yet.

(I loved the Genesis Coupe, but was forced into a new car after the old one was totalled.)

The headlight issue was only for the Limited/Ultimate trim level with LED's of which in May they changed the reflector housing to decease glare. If you own a SE/SEL the bulb is a H7 halogen , others in the forum have replaced them but takes some retrofitting for the bulb to fit.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same here I have had a few bright me but this is mainly due to drivers out there that are not use to seeing LED headlights as still so many have Halogen dull lighting and HID still has a small market also and they are far brighter then the LED's on ours. If one wants to see headlights that are 30% brighter look at a Acura MDX head on or Mercedes those are Bright and will leave white spots in your vision if not turned away from on time.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mine are so high I light up signs above the stop lights way a head of me. I have this week off to do house window trim and put lowering springs in my car, so I will take my Kona out to a dimly lit area and see how far they are set at, Or no, wait......I will do that later when everything settles spring wise.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts

Amy, this only effects the Limited/Ultimate with LED lights. If you are dissatisfied with your lights which were rated poor by NHTSA then I would consider changing the bulbs. The LED were rated good. There is a thread already working about the change and some of the gentleman with the SEL trim can advise you best as to which H7 Bulbs to purchase. I also believe there are LED conversions available for the headlights and Fogs if you have them. I'm not sure which thread they are listed in right of the top of my head.:smile:

Yoinkerman, RC51 Kona, pnwkona have done some headlight mods so check with them:smile:

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/fo...scussion/1428-new-halogen-bulbs-but-ones.html
https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/fo...at-did-you-do-your-hyundai-kona-today-24.html

·
Registered
3 Posts

My headlights are the LED ones. I have a kona unlimited.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thank you for clarifying, as you didn't specify which trim level you owned in your first comment.

I've considered buying new bulbs to see if that will help but the local auto parts store says they can't tell me what to buy because Hyundai hasn't released the Kona specs to manufacturers yet.
When you said bulbs; it lead me to believe you had a SEL trim. Doubtful there will be anything available as an alternative. It has more to do with the reflectors. The Genesis coupe has a different lighting system altogether. I do not know what year coupe you owned, so I can't speak directly to what type units they were utilizing. Most had Xenon HID projectors with LED DRL's.

Sorry but the Kona's LED's are a complete unit and there is no 'bulb" available. They can't be disassembled, so there probably won't be a alternative LED headlight housing available. If and aftermarket company offered one, it would be quite expensive. If the headlights needs to be replaced on the Kona Ultimate/Limited, the entire headlight unit must be replaced. These headlights utilize smart technology. The full-LED headlights have a Smart High Beam automatically switch between high and low beam for enhanced safety. They are a complete constructed unit so you can't remove the LED's for replacement.

If you had a SEL trim, there are upgrades but not so for the Ultimate/Limited. You can however upgrade the Fog Lights to LED's, this will enhance the LED headlights.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
Also to add when turning left or right the "smart cornering lamps" come on to light the sides of the vehicle ,something I learned about after having the fogs on and seeing them shut off then on again which makes headlights look dim but they are still one just a change in light color.

As to add in addition to what JR stated,
coming from your Genesis with I assume still had the Halogen bulbs also when height changes from a car to CUV and to LED is a different light temp same goes for HID , these about a 6k where as most halogen bulbs are 4500k , crystal blue vs yellow white.

Cut off is from what I can tell is not to bad and yes the dispersal pattern is more narrow due to the focused projector in which this changes the whole light spectrum and pattern. My Subaru had HID and the side to side was great as they lit up the sides of the road . The LED have a weird pattern but also have a black spot in the middle of the beam and tend not to come together to meet close enough down the line but overall as I live also live in area where street lights do not exist and dark unlit highways so if needed and really have not used is the LED fogs that are in now and these out power the headlights.
If choice was an option I would rip these out and have HID put in for the far better light ,color and dispersal pattern also not black spots also HID is more advanced then LED as it has not truly caught up with these.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That's why these have not bugged me yet. I live in a first ring suburb of Minneapolis so we have light in excess around here. I would like to do lighting later to get 5000k lighting everywhere, but I have the spring priority, then I am going to add 2 catch cans for the 2 valve cover outputs and I am adding some pressure relief valves at the 2 valve cover outputs to satisfy my freeze up paranoia. I also have in the works a PEA "IV drip" induction idea I am working on too.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Same here I have had a few bright me but this is mainly due to drivers out there that are not use to seeing LED headlights as still so many have Halogen dull lighting and HID still has a small market also and they are far brighter then the LED's on ours. If one wants to see headlights that are 30% brighter look at a Acura MDX head on or Mercedes those are Bright and will leave white spots in your vision if not turned away from on time.
Yep that's they way our Audi TTRS and GLA45 AMG was. This was more than two years ago also.

That's why these have not bugged me yet. I live in a first ring suburb of Minneapolis so we have light in excess around here. I would like to do lighting later to get 5000k lighting everywhere, but I have the spring priority, then I am going to add 2 catch cans for the 2 valve cover outputs and I am adding some pressure relief valves at the 2 valve cover outputs to satisfy my freeze up paranoia. I also have in the works a PEA "IV drip" induction idea I am working on too.
Please keep us informed about your progress on the springs and the catch cans installs.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also to add when turning left or right the "smart cornering lamps" come on to light the sides of the vehicle ,something I learned about after having the fogs on and seeing them shut off then on again which makes headlights look dim but they are still one just a change in light color.

As to add in addition to what JR stated,
coming from your Genesis with I assume still had the Halogen bulbs also when height changes from a car to CUV and to LED is a different light temp same goes for HID , these about a 6k where as most halogen bulbs are 4500k , crystal blue vs yellow white.

Cut off is from what I can tell is not to bad and yes the dispersal pattern is more narrow due to the focused projector in which this changes the whole light spectrum and pattern. My Subaru had HID and the side to side was great as they lit up the sides of the road . The LED have a weird pattern but also have a black spot in the middle of the beam and tend not to come together to meet close enough down the line but overall as I live also live in area where street lights do not exist and dark unlit highways so if needed and really have not used is the LED fogs that are in now and these out power the headlights.
If choice was an option I would rip these out and have HID put in for the far better light ,color and dispersal pattern also not black spots also HID is more advanced then LED as it has not truly caught up with these.
I had a 2010 Genesis 3.8 Grand Touring Coupe, which I'm pretty sure had HID headlights. Hopefully it's just a matter of my getting used to the Kona LEDs. Since I bought my Kona in late April 2018, I've only had to drive after dark a few times. The last couple of times I've had to find my driveway, I stopped parallel to where I expected the drive surface to be, then turned the steering wheel left enough to cause the corning lamps to illuminate in that direction.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
I have a June 2018 build.. and have the updated LED headlights.. I haven’t had anyone flashing me..
Hyundai received a poor rating on the LED headlights And had to revise the beam pattern. I had HIDs previously and
I find the Hyundai bests them by a good margin.. still not used to the low speed cornering lights...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I lowered mine a bit because I was nailing everyone on even the simplest up gradient. Now I am good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts