Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2018 hyundai kona that has been great until today engine light came on. Scanned it and have cylinder 1, 3 and 4 misfiring and a code for random misfire. 12,3xx miles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Take it straight to the dealer, I don't think anyone else on here has had that type of error.

Could be bad gas, too, when and where did you last buy gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got gas at Sam's where I have gotten it loads of times before. Was very surprised when it threw all of those codes. Gonna see if I can get it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you by any chance wash down the engine with a hose recently? If you do that, water may collect in the spark plug wells. Caveat: when the dealer looks at your engine, and finds water / corrosion in your spark plug well(s), they will charge you for replacing all plugs, and for new ignition coils. Another possibility: if you took off the ignition coils and put them back in the wrong order that woudl cause something like this. These are the 2 most common reasons.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Have a 2018 hyundai kona that has been great until today engine light came on. Scanned it and have cylinder 1, 3 and 4 misfiring and a code for random misfire. 12,3xx miles. Any ideas?
Some of the OBDII codes take a few Ignition on/off cycles before the code is automatically cleared.. If the car seems to be running normal, you might have had an error or some anomaly that will clear itself after a few days..
Otherwise, you will need to take it in..

·
Registered
43 Posts
This car is still under warranty, if there is no obvious explanation, I see no downside to having it checked out by the dealer. Could be a number of things, like oxygen sensor, plugs, ignition coils, poor contact between coil and plug. Some people report having good luck with using higher octane Gas, and high quality LSPI spec synthetic oil. Can you post the actual codes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts