Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add these to my Kona but am not seeing much in the way of reviews for them. I know there are OEMs but it looks like they are a) much more expensive and b) still mostly relay on adhesive to stay in place. There are a ton of cheap third party options on Amazon, etc., but with no real reviews.

Anyone had any experiences with these? I'd like to get them on before fall and we start seeing more rain here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Check out the what did you do to your kona thread or shoot JR KONA a message, he installed the OEM version on his Kona.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the mention cmllr.

The OEM units are great. I installed them when we got the Kona.

The more expensive Hyundai OEM Units. These are the best units I've seen. They have both 3M adhesive and metal brackets which hold them in place. They are a heavier grade of Lexan and they can be purchased thru the hyundaishop.com for $195.00 instead of the $250 that most Hyundai OEM Accessory Dealers sell them for. https://hyundaishop.com/hyundai-kona-rain-guards-v005/. The Weather Tech Units are not that great.

The instructions are on the same page in a PDF. They are really simple to install, just follow the instructions that are provided. If you need any help just holler.

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
Thanks for the mention cmllr.

The OEM units are great. I installed them when we got the Kona.

The more expensive Hyundai OEM Units. These are the best units I've seen. They have both 3M adhesive and metal brackets which hold them in place. They are a heavier grade of Lexan and they can be purchased thru the hyundaishop.com for $195.00 instead of the $250 that most Hyundai OEM Accessory Dealers sell them for.
Strange, they are much cheaper in Australia $139.95 USD fitted by the dealer here (193.50 AUD)

They are good, Love mine

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
There are two different sets. There the one's for $139.00 and the more expensive at $250.00 but they can be had cheaper.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
Put these guards on all my vehicles, and because I had to roll window down for tolls. Now not needed, and found them to make some noise on windy days. Do not plan to add to the Kona. Glad the oem are built good !

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No noise, in fact they actually get rid of the buffeting you get with the drivers window down. Going to add one for the Sunroof eventually.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just couldn't bring myself to spend $200+ for the OEM rainguards and with fall and winter just around the corner didn't want to wait to see if WeatherTech was going to do rainguards for the Kona (there are more popular car models they haven't done). So, I settled for the WellVisors, which I got for $57 shipped from Walmart.com.

I think they look good, but they weren't quite what I was expecting. Most WellVisors rainguards use two metal clips per piece, along with 3M adhesive, to attach. It turns out the Kona version (and about 10-15% of WellVisors) do not use that system. The Kona version is mostly adhesive, with just one plastic clip up front. On top of that, the instructions are terrible, as in non-existent. The box comes with nothing but says to go to their website or call a phone number. The website has one set of generic installation instructions for the metal clip variety (which doesn't apply in this case) and says to go to their YouTube channel for variants. The problem there is that the YouTube channel has at least 50 model specific videos up, but not for the Kona. I ended up watching the start of quite a few before I found a few cars that had similar installation requirements, but even then they weren't exact. Luckily I was able to figure it out from there.

For 1/4 the price I guess you have to expect some drawbacks. We'll see how these hold up long-term.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Good for you! For informational purposes only. The Hyundai's more expensive units, have 3 metal clips and 3m tape per unit.

Hyundai has two versions of Rain Guards. The more expensive at $260.00 MSRP (around $200 at the Hyundai Shop) and a cheaper version which I wouldn't have. I believe these are the ones your referring to? The instructions for the more expensive Hyundai RainGuards are quite good. I posted them somewhere but I don't think it was in this thread.

I think the units you purchased look quite good and I believe they will do a excellent job fo you.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are the WellVisors brand version. Hyundaishop.com and the official Hyundai accessory site have different less expensive alternatives.

I did fail to mention that the WellVisors do have molded in clips, two per piece, that do help align and hold them in place. They just aren't quite the same as the metal clips the other options use.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I think you made a wise choice and I believe they'll work out for you in excellent fashion. That's quite alright, as most have some form of attachment clips. Sorry you had to go thru such gyrations to find install instructions. It obviously looks like you did a great job despite the issues. I like them quite a bit.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can someone link me to the OEM ones that are 4 piece and just use the adhesive? I've looked on ebay but all I see is the 6 piece ones. I don't need one on that window that won't roll down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hyundaishop.com has the OEM's that Hyundai sells and a less expensive 3rd party option. As far as I know the OEM's are not just adhesive though.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Correct, they have three metal mounting points on each window as well.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
4 Posts
raibguards

Hey there, I just joined the forum. I saw in one of your posts that you said there is a PDF that shows how to install the OEM RainGuards on the Kona. Where can I find that ??
THANKS, CaptDan1952

·
Registered
4 Posts
JR KONA, you mentioned in one of your posts on 8/14/18 that there is a PDF that has instructions for the installation of the OEM RAINGUARDS. Where can I find that ??? I bought a set, have no idea how they go on exactly. I'm sure it's not hard when Isee where the clips go. Anyway, thanks in advance, and thank you for your service !!!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Use the Link above. Mahalo and Welcome

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
4 Posts
JR KONA
Thank you, I appreciate the help !!! I have more questions later on other things but for now this is all I have time for before our Thanksgiving trip.
Blessing and Peace to you also!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts