Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn’t resist.. after working on the 335i ZF trans leak.. Had to get these..
(Grandkid already supplied..) should make tire roatations easy as well as oil changes, brakes.. etc
5000 lb capacity.. a bend pack product.. drive over them and park when folded..

Off topic for @BlackBetty
ZF trans Mechatronics readout info.. after fix and fluid ($20 a qt), before and after readings.. was
Hard shifting and downshifting.. did calibration training on the road then readout was great.. 90k miles
750 is high limit.. so wear is within reason for another couple hundred thousand miles.. next is oil pan leak..
Got to drop sub frame to clear pan.. and install new starter.. from above ? Lol. That’s how it’s done..
Loving the new trouble free need nothing Kona !!! Lol..
How’s yours.. Did you get it fixed ?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does your air piston hold air pressure in jacks ? Mine have to be refilled everyday ! Nice when working on all wheels, but a pain at 60 lbs each to move around.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your air piston hold air pressure in jacks ? Mine have to be refilled everyday ! Nice when working on all wheels, but a pain at 60 lbs each to move around.
I have the locks on and lowered them until it bottomed out on the locks.. but it was up and holding air without dropping down a bit to hit the locks.. I keep it flat and park over it
when not in use..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I swap seasonal tires in October and April here in OH, now with kids driving these could shorten the work time, I am getting older and four cars is a lot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My question was the air pistons alone holding pressure over nite. Mine leak. Not in use pressure. The oil hydraulic pressure raises the jacks, air pistons are just a cushion .

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My question was the air pistons alone holding pressure over nite. Mine leak. Not in use pressure. The oil hydraulic pressure raises the jacks, air pistons are just a cushion .
Not sure... the car is still up on the jacks since I bought them ! Stupid bmw is a pain to work on.. done with tranny,
Now replacing starter, oil pan gasket which I had to drop the subframe for.. turbos and plumbing make it difficult to
Get to anything.. That’s why I bought the kona !! So this beast can sit and wait till I get to it..
I’m seriously thinking of going with an LSx motor swap in this thing.. I’ll get back to you when I get the car done
And off the jacks.. taking my sweet time so I keep some sanity..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are there jack points for a conventional jack where one side could be jacked up to rotate tires? I know that's not the proper rotation protocol, but I would do a side and then an axle in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nick, like a lot of cars today, the support area is where the sheet metal body is welded together as a tab. So what was a flat spot, is now a spot with this 5/8 inch vertical sheet metal tab hanging down. Vendors sell synthetic blocks with cut outs to fit there, to put on your jack. Easy chaep way is to cut two pieces of 5/8 inch plywood in a circle or square that fits you jack. (this thickness also depends on how deep you jacks lift cup is, just make it as thick as you need ) Cut the top piece with about a 1/4 inch cut out down the middle, then screw and glue the pieces together. This will give u a block with a center open groove, not to damage the sheet metal tab. You can also glue any kind of thin mat material on top for a cushion, not to scratch anything. To jack up one side, two jacks would be needed, or one quickjack if only jacking up enough to clear the wheels. Not sure if the quick jacks will clear across in inside of vehicle to use that way, or 90 swing from side use. If the sheet metal tab is deeper, then just adjust needed cut and wood pieces.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not sure... the car is still up on the jacks since I bought them ! Stupid bmw is a pain to work on.. done with tranny,
Now replacing starter, oil pan gasket which I had to drop the subframe for.. turbos and plumbing make it difficult to
Get to anything.. That’s why I bought the kona !! So this beast can sit and wait till I get to it..
I’m seriously thinking of going with an LSx motor swap in this thing.. I’ll get back to you when I get the car done
And off the jacks.. taking my sweet time so I keep some sanity..

Boy......you have yourself a project there. Good luck. I sure wish I had those jacks when I was wrenching on Audi's.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy......you have yourself a project there. Good luck. I sure wish I had those jacks when I was wrenching on Audi's.

Thanks... broke a nipple on one of the boost solenoids trying to get to things.. got a broken oil pan bolt I cant get out.. waiting on some left handed bits to remove..
Have to remove the intake manifold, TB to get to the starter which you do from topside.. The turbos and plumbing really make this car a B to work on..
Only $10K for an LS3 550 HP with harness and electronics.. so tempting.. but this thing still runs good.. and its fast..
The quickjacks work great and give me a lot more room than the jackstands did.. Going to be great for tire rotations and brake work.. Costco had it on sale for $1K for the 5000LB setup

·
Registered
267 Posts
an update on quickjacks. Complained of the air side not holding air pressure over nite. Reply from tech, was the air cushion was only to help brake in the hydraulic cylinder. After about 20 times use the air pressure side is not needed anymore : just use it with no air pressure. Sounds like a line of BS to me, the air cylinder has a diaphram in it. Not designed to be pushed to one end or the other end. Then the air cylinder is welded to the oil side, so no simple replacement ! I will still put air pressure into mine when using it, just because that is most likely the real design of use. Jacks work fine, but what a line of doggie dooo. Why is it not printed in the manual ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
an update on quickjacks. Complained of the air side not holding air pressure over nite. Reply from tech, was the air cushion was only to help brake in the hydraulic cylinder. After about 20 times use the air pressure side is not needed anymore : just use it with no air pressure. Sounds like a line of BS to me, the air cylinder has a diaphram in it. Not designed to be pushed to one end or the other end. Then the air cylinder is welded to the oil side, so no simple replacement ! I will still put air pressure into mine when using it, just because that is most likely the real design of use. Jacks work fine, but what a line of doggie dooo. Why is it not printed in the manual ?
It does seem that what the tech was telling you is in fact correct from viewing the video and reading on their site.
Why QuickJack Has a Small Air Cylinder - Blog

I just bought the 5000SLX also and it's great, fits the Kona like it was made for it. I did get these slotted hockey puck type of rubber helpers from Amazon for the Kona, and they are perfect and fit the pinch welds great. I had a picture of the Kona on it but somehow it got deleted.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
It does seem that what the tech was telling you is in fact correct from viewing the video and reading on their site.
Why QuickJack Has a Small Air Cylinder - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjpdKz9DJRg

I just bought the 5000SLX also and it's great, fits the Kona like it was made for it. I did get these slotted hockey puck type of rubber helpers from Amazon for the Kona, and they are perfect and fit the pinch welds great. I had a picture of the Kona on it but somehow it got deleted.
Although I don't have a QuickJack (yet), the round\slotted jack pad and slotted pads for the jack stands have made propping up the car a snap and a lot safer! Highly recommended for the shade-tree mechanic working on a Kona-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFQGB4F
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRMSHP2

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It works fine without.. and it does leak air within a couple days.. They should have documented it better explaining
It like they did in the video. Makes for a confused unhappy customer and keeps their support people unnecessarily busy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did my first rotation on the Kona today, this lift makes it so easy now. The slotted hockey puck type rubber lift supports look like they were made for the Kona.
I was able to do it quick with my new Kobalt cordless impact wrench which has 650 ft lbs of torque. The lugs came off so easily compared to my old Northern Industrial 210 ft lbs impact wrench.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those with the QJ’s. I have pressure build up in the lines which makes it difficult and impossible for me to connect the hoses. I had to loosen the fittings to let it equalize so I could connect it.. second time this has happened.. I also need to get the option for the pinch weld which was like 80$ ?? Anyone else ? I held the off switch as recommended but still could not attach hoses..

·
Registered
40 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah.. this is crazy force.. and I had help ! I thought maybe it was cold when put away.. It was warm that day and maybe heated up, expanded with no place to go.. those are quality couplings...
Thanks for the Link ! (y) (y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts