Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Kona and manual says to vary speed and avoid long periods of time at a constant speed for first 600 (I think) miles.
I'll be leaving on a 1000+ mile road trip with less than 100 miles on the car. Any opinon on what constitutes "long periods"? Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Basically, they don't recommend you use the cruise control if there are long stretches of driving coming up. Vary your speed a bit as you go. I'm not entirely sure why that is the case, but that's the idea.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just bought a Kona and manual says to vary speed and avoid long periods of time at a constant speed for first 600 (I think) miles.
I'll be leaving on a 1000+ mile road trip with less than 100 miles on the car. Any opinon on what constitutes "long periods"? Thanks!

Just remember engine bearings are broken in at 50 miles, now you are concerned with breaking in the piston rings. Other then what the manual says on not keeping a steady state of rpm and varying engine rpm, you want to "load the piston rings "with at least 3/4 throttle inputs under 4,000-4,500 rpm now. So do some heavy accelerations from the start getting up to speed. Getting onto the hwy is good for a good long acceleration run. Your car will be loaded so this will help load the piston rings. I would still watch speed variation your whole trip even though technically your engine is fully broken in at 600 miles. As far a variation, use your transmission to help vary engine rpm, manually drop a gear and run in a higher rpm. Don't be afraid of a rpm at 3,000 rpm on the hwy if you drop a gear. Vary up and down with speed and gearing every 5 minutes or so and do this more in the beginning of the trip then the end of your 1,000 miles. Don't make it a big deal by overly consitrating on it and wreck your nice new ride and trip. After your trip drive it normally.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Congrats on your new Kona and Welcome to the Forum !!
@Sarkus said it well.. avoid long hwy stretches and don’t use the cruise control.. If you’re taking a long trip.. just vary your speed from time to time..
You‘re breaking in more than the engine.. Wear patterns on gears and mating surfaces are being created, avoid “heating” Things up too fast. City driving is best for varying Engine loads and speeds.. Enjoy !

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it was me (and it has been a few times) I'd make it a point to have at least a couple hundred miles on the Kona in city type driving. Start and stop, varying engine speeds, varying road speeds, and varying transmission gears, brake pads, rotors, etc. All the parts need to get to know each other, and friction between these parts is unavoidable, and will occur, you just want to avoid having all the friction be at the exact same speed or the parts against each other.

Once you get a couple hundred miles on it, then the odds of damage or excessive wear on any particular parts drops significantly.

I'd also say once you get back, consider an early oil change at ~1,500 miles to get most of the break in materials out of the oil so they stop circulating through the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Very helpful info. Disappointing to hear about the cruise control, I was looking forward to it as my old car didn't have it. Was planning on leaving this afternoon, but perhaps I'll do some running around in the city instead and take off tomorrow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can still use the cruise control, for a while, just vary the gear the transmission is in, every 5 minutes or so, keeping it below ~4,500 rpm's. Have a great trip and get to really know your Kona, it is a great vehicle for the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finalized my purchase of a new 2021 Kona today, pick the vehicle up on Tuesday. Don't have the owners manual in front of me yet, so curious about best way to break in the engine as I've never bought a brand new car before this one.

I know varying speeds and RPM are required, and that constant speeds are not. My morning commute is 2 min of city driving followed by 20 min of highway driving. As it's mostly highway, is that an issue? Should I take a longer route to work with more city driving for the first few hundred kms to be safe? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This is how I break-in motors, there will other opinions for and against this way. Do you own research. Most answers will be race motor related which is fine for a street car as the owners of motors topping out at $25,000 to $50,000 don't want to wreck their $$$ motors. Or course their rpm and loading will be somewhat different. As you will have a tank plum full of 87 octane from the dealer, get 93 octane into your tank as soon as you can like on the way home from work. Not that you need full 93 octane but 89 and above would be nice for the full loading of the rings. This is not a must , but that's what I would do on a break-in. After 600 miles you can go back to 87 octane. All turbo motors I suggest a minimum of 89 octane full time, long term, but that is up to you.

Hyundaiu says your motor is 100% broken in at 600 miles. No long idling, 1 mins tops when you first start it. Wait 1 minute before you drive off on start up. All bearings are broken in 30 to 40 miles. Only do these loading piston ring run on a 100% warmed up engine. So now you need to load the piston rings with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle not going past 4,000 rpm. Manual mode use maybe easier to do this. After about 20 miles of this as much as possible without being nutty about it. Taking the long way home as to you can add some full throttle pulls up to 4,000 rpm through the gears at what ever legal speed limit is posted and allow 3 minutes of normal driving. If you have a chance to go through the gears do it again. Just remember you want to load the piston rings. Be a bit more aggressive till 600 miles and drive like normal after that. Also don't be afraid of heavy braking after 50 miles non hwy driving. Brakes don't need to be babied after 50 miles. Just know it will take up to 2,000-4,000 miles to get the rear disc broke-in. Take my adice, some of it, all of it or none of it. This is how would do it suggesting to others. I do it a bit more aggressive really, but I don't push that to other people's cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the tips Mainia - picking up the Kona as I type this and keep all of this in mind as I break it in 👍

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’m picking up a new 2022 Limited today in a city 2 hours from home. The return home is all highway at 70MPH. Is that okay during the break in period?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just vary the engine rpms reiodicaly either by speding up or slowing down or using the shift in manual mode and selecting a different gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts