Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question....if I want a specific model (SE, SEL, etc) and specific color but the dealer doesn't have it or can't find one to make a trade, can I "order" what I want?

Order to me can mean three things....

1. The factory receives your individual order and builds one for you
2. Or....the factory receives your order and when they build one that meets your specs, they send it to your dealer.
3. Or....you simply wait until your dealer or a dealer they trade with happens to have what you want show up on a truck with other cars.

So...can someone enlighten me? I know the model and only want one or two colors. And...any idea of "wait" time?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
My dealer didn't have the specific one I wanted in the color I wanted, (SEL in FWD in Pulse Red). They got it from another dealer though. Only took them 2 days to get it for me.
If you have to order from the factory, that might take longer like a month or 2.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wanted a Sonic Silver AWD Limited. I live in the Minneapolis burbs. There were 3 cars within a 1,000 miles radius. The farthest east side UP of Michigan, Colorado, and lower Missouri. The dealer chose the last one because he just sold a car to that guy and could use that trade to trade this one since letting go of a Kona some wont do it. BUT I put money down last Tuesday and it it Tuesday today. SO today it will be 7 days, and I agreed to pay for the shipping of $500 to get the color since I got a high amount on my trade and what I hope is a low Kona price. There is something in the back of my head that makes me wonder if it got smacked with hail on the way up and they are fixing it .....why so long? I will be spending some time under the florescent lights at the dealer before I take it looking for signs of repaint for sure. They originally said it takes 4 to 6 days because they bit for a place on a trailer. So it just may of taken some time to get a place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of now, I don't see anymore 2018 cars coming from Hyundai. They are making or will be soon making within weeks, 2019 Kona's.
Estimate when 2019's hit the dealers? My dealer has two Kona's of style I want arriving in August. I assumed 2018 model. The inventory in my area (DC/MD/VA) is weak on the Ultimate so likely hard to get dealers bidding. Trying to hold off at bit......

·
Registered
116 Posts
FYI to anyone encountering this, its almost ALWAYS more price-advantageous for you to just use search tools like Autotrader and CarGurus to find the closest dealership that has the trim and color you want and work with them directly.

When a dealer transfers it from another dealership, they end up buying it at the very least at invoice price, then marking it back up from there, usually adding on a transport fee. When you work with the dealership directly, however, you can most certainly negotiate the price lower than the invoice price and there won't be any transport fees or other fluff added on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts