Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a power lift gate retrofit?

Looks like there's a kit available here

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm wondering how much work this would be to install myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
pretty cool find.. Looks like a well thought out add-on. The wiring might be a bear.. but the mechanism looks pretty
straightforward.. On sale too.. I'll stick to the manual way and spend the savings on something else.. lol.
"Look dear.. I just saved $600 today.. what should I buy"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it too much as a DIY project? And the ultimate question... happy with it? Would you do it again?

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took about 10 hours with two pairs of hands. The main things being that I wanted everything properly tucked so the trim pieces need to be removed.
The trim pieces in the rear quarter require the back seats to be pulled out.

In comparison when I did this install on a CRV there were many places to tuck that didn't even require trim removal in the rear quarter. That also took around 10 hours (solo).

I needed something to do nowadays anyways but would I do it again? I'd probably just upgrade to something that has power lift like Palisade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jwslam, would you please show a picture on what the max height when the tail gate opens?

I have a friend installed product from another supplier, but the height is significantly reduce so he would bump his head when he approach the boot. So if this version do not have that problem, I would consider getting it. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same problem yes. I also bump my head now.
Probably somewhere around 5'7 max height.

·
Registered
2021 Luxury
10 Posts
The package I got was a little different.
It was closer to this one... but still different.

I didn't have to do steps 12 and 13 since it has a t-bridging cable to tap into the Mobis module (which was under the steering column)... which was just unplug the OEM plug and put a installation cable between them... which had 2 wires that led to the unlock box.

I didn't buy the kick auto open sensor... meh, I barely use that feature in a different car I have.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

If I manually push the hatch up... I can get it to go this high... the tape sorta-bowed... so it might be a bit shorter... but if I just let the hatch open on its own (I haven't set the default opening height yet) its closer to the number you reported at 65"-66"

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Luxury
10 Posts
Lemme add some details on my install... referring to the VOXX power tailgate manual for steps and pictures... and I will add some...

First off... lemme say that I would recommend getting some moving blankets to put panels down, since these panels are all plastic they tend to scratch pretty easily

Here's what was in my box:
Bag Tool Gun barrel Eyewear Font

When removing the trip panels... be careful about this part:
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

The top part of the arm (top in the picture) has a screw... where the piece above it (not in picture.. larger panel) uses a pinch-in joint (into the arm trim in the photo), which cracked and snapped during my removal... luckily the plastic push clips in the center of the main panel carry the weight of the panel... and the pinch-in joint is more about keeping the 2 pieces flush with each other.

In ADVLFTKONA_IM-1.pdf, under section:
F. Harness Installation
Step 7: This was a PAIN in the arse... both sides are easy to unplug... the problem was fishing a wire that had 2 plug heads through that tube... I had to milk it through... mm by mm... shaking out my hands occasionally
Light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

In my package, it didnt have steps 12-13 in this section... I had to just unplug the wire from the 'Mobis' module under the steering wheel... the trick was 'which wire'?
FYI: its this one:
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Computer hardware Automotive exterior

This was a tricky one... I had to do this upside down under the steering wheel/dash... the blue tab thing needs to be pulled towards you (not up, not down) .. this allows the tab on the top (behind the blue vertical tab) to be pushed down, which will release the connection.

G. Tailgate Panel Trim/Switch Installation
Steps 1-4... I didn't notch out 2mm from either side... seemed ugly, I notched it out at an angle ... just used a simple file to do it.
For step 5... I didn't want to drill a hole through the plastic AND the steel... I just took a scrap piece of plastic and 3M taped it to the plastic and drilled a hole for the button.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Light Grille

Oh... I should say I had to take a lil more time with my config since I didn't want to tap the main 12v power feeding the fuse box 😜... I already had a full 12v feed going into my trunk... so I had to run another 12v wire back to the front 🤪

My trunk tire wires:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I have a 12v feed straight from the battery here:
Automotive battery Trunk Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Cable

The gray wire is an ACC line... so that I can trigger things on accessory start... the black wire closer to the top is a ground.

·
Registered
2021 Luxury
10 Posts
Strut comparison... I put the oem strut on the ball so that it gives a better idea on how far it could go... it definitely would be taller with the oem strut, but the version I have isn't as dramatically short compared to yours

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 20 Posts