Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my first one, copper is a bit high for just 1,000 miles, but still in the normal range for a new motor. I definitely have some dilution here as per my increase in oil level and my reduced V100 viscosity of 3.5 qts of 5-30 Mobil 1 Extended and 1 qt of 0-40 Redline. I am now staying with one oil vendor only to be able to use them if any warranty issue comes up with the motor. This oil change I used 2.5 qts Amsoil 5-30 and 2 qts 0-40 Signature Series. I am using up some oil stock, so my "go to viscosity" will be 0-30 in Minnesota winters and 0-40 in summers. I will see if and very well could just stay with 0-40 year round too. It may change to the new 0-40 Mobil 1 that is speced for the Corvette that is different then the Euro formula 0-40 that we can all get now at Walmart that would be less robust then the new 0-40 side option. The 0-40 Euro version shears down very fast to 0-30 for my liking, and that is in a regular port injected motor. I do not want to ever go below 9.0 viscosity on the V100 spec on any of my used/in-service oils if I can help it.

I also found out that this large CAT dealer can't do fuel dilution testing on a gasoline engines. So I will have to go elsewhere to Polaris Labs thru JG Lubrication that I use at work. Once I get my fuel dilution averages down for my location/weather/driving style/short trips I can then go back to my local CAT dealer to keep track of wear since they are just 5 miles away. Not like I need to do oil analysis every change, but at the beginning and through a couple of winters I will, since my driving style has my foot in it more then most. Minnesota winters, short trips, GDI/turbo is the very worst case severe scenario. I don't want to get past 3-4% fuel dilution.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
What was the mileage of the oil change?

Tell me why the mixture of Redline and Mobile? I believe I understand the viscosity and dilution issues also.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What was the mileage of the oil change?

Tell me why the mixture of Redline and Mobile? I believe I understand the viscosity and dilution issues also.

Blessing and Peace

I dumped Factory fill at 70 miles and then went 1,000 miles on Mobil 1 5-30 Extended and Redline 0-40. I am at 1,500 as of today. Why use 1 Qt of Redline....to get some more Ester in there, and more Moly/Phosphorous/ zinc for the new motor.

All Redline oils are on the heavier side of the viscosity scale and also it doesn't shear back as easy as other oils. Until Redline reformulates their oil, and we find it pulls less wear metals, I don't think I want to use 100% Redline. In about 60%-70% of cars Redline seems to draw out more wear metals then I would like. Still in the safe zone, but still higher then other oils. Some motors love Redline and Esters, and have very low wear numbers, but you need to stabilize your test numbers that just are not achievable with a new motor. You need to get to 15,000 give or take. This could be quicker with a turbo motor since the process may be sped up by boost pressure.

Again, I am looking at Amsoil Signature Series 0w-40 or Mobil1 0w-40 ESP (2018/2019 speced Corvette oil) to be my go to oil for my car, that could change through oil analysis. I just purchased a 10 pack of the "basic" oil analysis from Polaris Labs/ JG Lubrication ( fleet pricing section for the 10 pack). I don't need TBN or TAN since I will be short changing the oil because of fuel dilution and won't use up the additives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts