Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really curious why so many people are afraid to touch their vehicle. I know that some people are afraid of warranty woes, but atleast in the USA you have things you can do without the dreaded void. But what other reasons are there? Cost, NVH, inexperiance, etc???

Out of the 1.2k Members, only about 5 people are interested in better gas mileage, better acceleration, better braking/handling, even audio performance. Is the current lack of aftermarket support scaring ya'll away?

This is a friendly poll, no drama/fighting allowed. We all have our own perspectives, and thats A-OK.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
186 Posts
I think this is a worthwhile exercise but I don’t really have a choice that I agree with from your list. My view is that the manufacturer has spent a lot of time designing & building their car. Mods are changing this from original spec & I'm not sure how changes interact with other aspects of the car - eg, relationships between wheels/tyres/suspension/brakes. In Aus for instance Hyundai spent a year adjusting the Electric to suit conditions here, including changing the suspension. I think changes to the spec need careful thought.

That said I liked to mod previous cars I owned as a hobby. It made me feel better & I enjoyed solving the challenges involved & showing it off. But in the end, while I had a great time, not sure if it actually made the car any better.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I myself for right now only care about the drivetrain warranty. Nothing else will be a big financial burden to fix, since I can do the work myself if I would void the warranty, IE the suspension. The car is too new and Hyundai doesn't have the best track record on engines, even though the 1.6T is one of Hyundai's better motors. Say if I had 15,000 miles on my Kona and lets say it is now a VW GTI. I would put a tune on it NOW. Because VW engines are well built and have a known long term track record. A stock GTI engine can take a stage 1 tune and even a stage 2 tune with almost no worries on the rods or busting a ring land. I don't care for the looks of VWs now a days, so they were off the table from my years of VW and Audi sport/tuner cars. Audi's are just too expensive for a late model choice. The Hyundai 1.6T, we don't have a long term highly tuned track record of robustness. Once mine gets older I will throw a tune on it, but that will be years from now.

It's not like the average Kona owner is a male 20-25 and looking to make a "Ricer" out of their Kona like we see more of on Veloster's. A lot of us are in our 40's-50 plus. Only a very few of us were building race cars and street cars when we were younger, and want to push that onto our Kona's now. I sure do!!! Most just want to drive it as is.

TRT, your comment on that Hyundai spent all the time and engineering money into making the Kona, you are right, they did a good job for the most part. But they had a very specific crowd they wanted to please, a broad one too. I would say age 25-60, sporty while being very comfortable and somewhat soft, that would satisfy the most people. Most here on this site fall into this slot. Like 1fastKona said , there are about 5 current users that are bumping into warranty areas from modifying. We lost about 2-3 or so others early on that tuned their car right away with piggybacks and meth injection and they just quit coming back. TRT as far as Aussy tuned suspension, a well known enginnering roadmap that Hyundai used in it's advertising if you were watching Youtube reviewers that had access to Hyundai engineers. The suspension tuning was for your rough roads and they tried to make it as smooth as they could with different shock valving, spring rates and maybe bushings, while trying to keep the Kona's handling in a set window.

Altering your suspension away from Hyundai's design is not dangerous in any way. If you buy lowering springs that the spring engineers designed and tested on the street and track, IE Eibach and Storm, for the Kona. Just throwing on ANY non specific coil overs would be something to shy away from unless you have spring rates and valving rates ect. That's why you can buy a set of Eibach springs and bring them to shop to have them swap out the OEM's and have 110% confidence smart Eibach enginners made the Kona far safer to drive then the Hyundai engineers. Emergency handling far better then stock, braking multiple times better then Hyundai engineered in. I know that because I hated the way my Kona braked, I worked with my service manager acquaintance and I brought it up through Hyundai to a large Firewall of "we don't care about the braking" as is, it is fine for 99% who drive it. You sport drive it hard and my opinion is the Kona is a semi-daangerous car with how softly sprung it was in a panic braking scenario or full on sport braking. Bad nose dive and rear lift. My first tier of suspension changeover to the Eibach's helped braking 60-70% and other suspension modes have added another 20%. The braking is fantastic now with OEM pads and rotors. I mean really good, even in high speed sport driving. You can change over any car with simple different intend of use parts and safely increase every aspect of a cars design ride and handling as long as you use top tier name brand parts that have been designed to work with your car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cold air intake & muffler delete for '18 SE AWD would be my choice if after market had anything available.

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
I wouldn’t hesitate to do the traditional mods to start with, intake and exhaust. Letting it breathe better is the goal. The next thing I would do would be the downpipe. In fact that should probably be the first place to start For results. The car is still new and I’m waiting for some aftermarket solutions that are “reasonable“ for my tastes. Im not looking to hurt drivability for the sake of a few more ponies. I don’t want a loud droning exhaust, I would like to keep the warranty intact of course and that can still be done with reasonable mods..
Right now Im still enjoying it in its stock form. Not sure my FWD setup would appreciate more power as it sits.. In my situation, I have another car that I play with.. So the Kona isn’t in my Total focus... yet.. we’ll see..
nothing in your poll worked for me ...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn’t hesitate to do the traditional mods to start with, intake and exhaust. Letting it breathe better is the goal. The next thing I would do would be the downpipe. In fact that should probably be the first place to start For results. The car is still new and I’m waiting for some aftermarket solutions that are “reasonable“ for my tastes. Im not looking to hurt drivability for the sake of a few more ponies. I don’t want a loud droning exhaust, I would like to keep the warranty intact of course and that can still be done with reasonable mods..
Right now Im still enjoying it in its stock form. Not sure my FWD setup would appreciate more power as it sits.. In my situation, I have another car that I play with.. So the Kona isn’t in my Total focus... yet.. we’ll see..
nothing in your poll worked for me ...

The poll is adjustable, what would you like added?

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
The poll is adjustable, what would you like added?
in my case, Interested and not sure what to do, comes close. I know what I would do if the parts were available and proven.
So, Stock for now until I can find some parts that fit my wants.
Replace stock with better parts through attrition..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a hitch installed on my Kona EV, but not aware of any other mods that I would want. I also didn't see a poll option that would describe my view on this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stock for now until I can find some parts that fit my wants?
Well, not quite. That presumes I want something. I would choose something like this:
Stock for now until I hear/see something that I might want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I want to do some stuff. Can't afford now. Next Spring I'm hoping I can get Window Tint and Vent Visors. Fall? Remote Start (Hyundai system). I have a set of Kicker speakers to put in the doors. Front and rear. Weather is against me now. My 19 is a Lease. Most likely I will buy it.

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
Stock for now until I can find some parts that fit my wants?
worded badly.. was trying to imply I don’t need to do anything, but I would want ...
example.. I Want an exhaust that won’t drone, isn’t raspy or too loud, looks stock or close, bolt on no rattles, etc..
I want a down pipe/cat, maybe intake.. but not until I see any real benefits, would want cold air routing not open filter. Basically, open up intake exhaust bolt on mods, let it breathe..
what would be nice to have is some stock numbers as to back pressure through the intercooler and other bottlenecks that could benefit from a better design. Too bad there isn’t more aftermarket involvement for the Kona here in the states. Better tires, not much else for me..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is a mod that I would like for my Kona EV. It has a VESS (noise maker) to warn pedestrians when at low speed. I have seen some guys mod them to produce other sounds. One is a locomotive sound, which should get some attention in parking lot,... haha. But it would be nice to be able to choose or make your own sounds as an option.

However, it is no easy task to do this on your own, and wouldn't want to screw up my electronics in the process. But if you could purchase such a mod, that would certainly have my interest.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
worded badly.. was trying to imply I don’t need to do anything, but I would want ...
example.. I Want an exhaust that won’t drone, isn’t raspy or too loud, looks stock or close, bolt on no rattles, etc..
I want a down pipe/cat, maybe intake.. but not until I see any real benefits, would want cold air routing not open filter. Basically, open up intake exhaust bolt on mods, let it breathe..
what would be nice to have is some stock numbers as to back pressure through the intercooler and other bottlenecks that could benefit from a better design. Too bad there isn’t more aftermarket involvement for the Kona here in the states. Better tires, not much else for me..
You may possibly want Hyundai Elantra N-Line sound? That is what I want . Not too loud and not too quiet .

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
You may possibly want Hyundai Elantra N-Line sound? That is what I want . Not too loud and not too quiet .

Yes... That sounds descent and looks nice... Do they have one for the Kona yet ?
I’ve only seen one system offered for the Kona out of the KDM and It’s way too pricey, needs a bumper cover too i believe.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes... That sounds descent and looks nice... Do they have one for the Kona yet ?
I’ve only seen one system offered for the Kona out of the KDM and It’s way too pricey, needs a bumper cover too i believe.
No, nothing yet. My suspension quest is on the list before exhaust. Rear bushings are top on the list, and my bushing of choice is Whitline. I want to see if they will do the size testing before I do. It is much more cost effective and time effeciant that way. There is another Aussy bushing company looking into it now too, because of the N's, but I don't like their bushings as much.

We have the option of using the Kona N's if it comes out or a Kona N-Line, which ever males it here. I also am looking at TIG welding one up with this muffler. I don't have to have the tips sticking out the rear, or a dual exit, it would be nice, but oh well. This muffler would solve reducing the parachute effect vs an inline muffler.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts