Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Plastic black push pins and double clip snap tabs. DIY

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BobJim33 
#1 ·
Hello. There are a lot of videos on how to pop out the black plastic push pins those are simple. Put a tool between the head and what looks like a washer and pop up. Do not go between washer plastics and the item being held in place you'll break the pin, the head must first be popped before removing the pin. Ok DUH most of us know that.

BUT what about all the tabs that "SNAP" one piece of front grill work into another piece? There is a tongue like tab that snaps into and through the rectangular holes with a lip edge. B U T to remove it there is a second tab on the apposing piece of plastic part being held in place that locks into and on top of the first tab. Lifting the top tab places pressure on the second tab you also need to be lifting. So both tabs from the pieces click together real well but try to undo this combination once bonded together is well ... is there any trick or tool to unlocking this double combination of tab/clip on tab/clip without breaking one or both? I'm looking to replace my fog-light area plastic piece without removing the bumper. It can be done if I can figure out the clip/tab on clip/tab undocking. I was able to get some unlocked at a substantial force and a small plastic pry-tool at 5 minutes each with little damage. Yet the threat of breaking so many to where I'll need to buy a front fender/face is looming. Is upward force sufficient to unlock both at once or is this double system meant to be secure and there is a new trick to learn or a tool to buy?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello. There are a lot of videos on how to pop out the black plastic push pins those are simple. Put a tool between the head and what looks like a washer and pop up. Do not go between washer plastics and the item being held in place you'll break the pin, the head must first be popped before removing the pin. Ok DUH most of us know that.

BUT what about all the tabs that "SNAP" one piece of front grill work into another piece? There is a tongue like tab that snaps into and through the rectangular holes with a lip edge. B U T to remove it there is a second tab on the apposing piece of plastic part being held in place that locks into and on top of the first tab. Lifting the top tab places pressure on the second tab you also need to be lifting. So both tabs from the pieces click together real well but try to undo this combination once bonded together is well ... is there any trick or tool to unlocking this double combination of tab/clip on tab/clip without breaking one or both? I'm looking to replace my fog-light area plastic piece without removing the bumper. It can be done if I can figure out the clip/tab on clip/tab undocking. I was able to get some unlocked at a substantial force and a small plastic pry-tool at 5 minutes each with little damage. Yet the threat of breaking so many to where I'll need to buy a front fender/face is looming. Is upward force sufficient to unlock both at once or is this double system meant to be secure and there is a new trick to learn or a tool to buy?
I found out that if you lift the smaller locking tab high enough it should stay clear to let the larger locked tab clear and now lift and wiggle clear of the plastic. The smaller tabs were on the piece I was replacing so I did lift them almost to a breaking point careful to not leverage against and break the larger bumper tabs. After I got out the fog light dummy panel I could have just pressed them back down and after checking they may have more than likely would have locked back into place.

FYI I did successfully install real factory fog lights and OEM plastic pieces where the dummy panel was on my SEL just by taking off the bottom plastic shield for access. I did not remove the front bumper/face nor the bottom black trim. I'll write about that over on the other posting space where the other person took off his full face for easy access.

#4 ·

Professional trick:
To remove wax from plastic parts just use a standard eracer. Works perfectly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.