Hyundai Kona Forum banner
121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
ordered a factory gti se as well and when they told me 12 week wait and then changing to 8-9 months. Well I landed back on one of my first researches! The Kona N View attachment 6664
Congratulations, and welcome to the N family!

Quite serendipitous for you that the GTI fell through... I love VW and owned a MK7.5 Golf R myself, but the Kona N is just a league ahead of even that car. I also test drove the Mk8 GTI SE before I bought my KN, and although it was a noticeable improvement over the last gen, the KN is simply a much more dedicated performance car relative to the GTI. I looked into the new Golf R too, but with markups it's now a $50k to $60k car, and besides being faster I have doubts it will be more fun. The N cars are truly a performance bargain especially considering the current automotive market.

Enjoy, and let us know your observations of the KN!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Got my first oil change today at 4,000 miles.

I was told by the SA that my OEM P Zero tires are at 8/32” and 6-3/4/32” with only about 500-600 miles on them. I have a hard time believe they can wear out this quickly and I’m trying to determine whether I should take this up with Pirelli.
Can anyone chime in whether you’re having similar issues? What’s your tire depth like on your OEM tires and how many miles?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
You are in MM, 7 MM = 9/32 inch
Thanks for the correction, though I did get one pic with a 6/32" reading so maybe it was an user error. I used the tread gauge on my own car again (repeatedly, to ensure accurate reading) and I'm getting 7/32" and 8"32".

Can other N owners chime in and tell me whether you have a similar tread level on your P Zero tires? It really could be that these tires just start out in life with not a whole lot of tread life.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Drove an BMW X3M today back to back with my Kona N and it really demonstrated the weight advantage of the Kona despite being down 200+ horsepower. The BMW is crazy fast, but the Kona actually felt faster and this was especially noticeable in corners.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
357 Posts

I was told by the SA that my OEM P Zero tires are at 8/32” and 6-3/4/32” with only about 500-600 miles on them. I have a hard time believe they can wear out this quickly and I’m trying to determine whether I should take this up with Pirelli.
Can anyone chime in whether you’re having similar issues? What’s your tire depth like on your OEM tires and how many miles?
when i bought my mk7 gti s, the oem tires where perelli p zeros i think, they lasted about 11k car had 20 miles when i got it. from my research i found that the oem tires arent really what they say they are, oem tires usually run softer and wear faster. the tires they sell as oem to car manufacturers are different from tires they sell. my tires were rated for 60k i think. lasted 12k, i contacted perrili about my issue, they said they dont warranty oem tires and to cantact the dealer. so the dealer said the same thing and to contact the manufacturer. so i tried for weeks just for fun cuz i was curious. got zero help from either. although my tires on my limited fwd have 28k on them so i dont know. but i do like that i havent had to buy new tires yet....what really pisses me off is dealers nor the manufacturer warranties oem tires, unless hyundai is different

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
when i bought my mk7 gti s, the oem tires where perelli p zeros i think, they lasted about 11k car had 20 miles when i got it. from my research i found that the oem tires arent really what they say they are, oem tires usually run softer and wear faster. the tires they sell as oem to car manufacturers are different from tires they sell. my tires were rated for 60k i think. lasted 12k, i contacted perrili about my issue, they said they dont warranty oem tires and to cantact the dealer. so the dealer said the same thing and to contact the manufacturer. so i tried for weeks just for fun cuz i was curious. got zero help from either. although my tires on my limited fwd have 28k on them so i dont know. but i do like that i havent had to buy new tires yet....what really pisses me off is dealers nor the manufacturer warranties oem tires, unless hyundai is different
Hey thanks for sharing! Unfortunately Hyundai is no different than any other car maker when it comes to warrantying tires on new vehicles. I think it is because of this reason that the OEM tires are garbage, simply because there's no real incentive to produce a quality product. Any how, at first I thought I received a defective product or that someone did me dirty by swapping used tires on me, but after some research it's just the sad reality of OEM tires not being built to the same quality as "a la carte" ones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
lol i just looked up my oem tires i found this

• Tread Life Limited Warranty
    N/A
lol of course
Of course... now I'm looking forward to wearing the OEM tires out and then getting some Pilot Sport 4S's. I tried them recently on a BMW and the grip is amazing.

Recently I passed the 5k mark on my Kona N. Seems like I finally broke it in because now the throttle is more responsive than ever and the exhaust sounds better than ever. Every time I get behind the wheel it's a satisfying driving experience!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the correction, though I did get one pic with a 6/32" reading so maybe it was an user error. I used the tread gauge on my own car again (repeatedly, to ensure accurate reading) and I'm getting 7/32" and 8"32".

Can other N owners chime in and tell me whether you have a similar tread level on your P Zero tires? It really could be that these tires just start out in life with not a whole lot of tread life.
since i live in the Vampire State of New York, i have to deal with winter snow and lake effect.
upon reading the owners manual, i figured out that all season tires made a lot more sense than the stock summer tires. i replaced the stock tires and it rides better, starts and stops better in non summer weather. i am sure the aftermarket tires will also last much longer as well. also, no issues stepping on the gas after backing up, to move forward.

it seems to ride better with up to 40 psi while tires are warm...seems too low pressure rides rougher over bumps .
if it was up to me, 16 or 17 inch wheels with a taller sidewall would be more appropriate for street only use. guessing a 5% difference in overall diameter would not mess up the computer. i actually replaced the 18 inchers on the 17 Elantra sport with 16 inchers and 55 series tires. got better ride and better mpg with no deterioration in handling. wonder if 17 inchers with 225/55x17 tires on the Kona N would give similar results?.:unsure:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
since i live in the Vampire State of New York, i have to deal with winter snow and lake effect.
upon reading the owners manual, i figured out that all season tires made a lot more sense than the stock summer tires. i replaced the stock tires and it rides better, starts and stops better in non summer weather. i am sure the aftermarket tires will also last much longer as well. also, no issues stepping on the gas after backing up, to move forward.

it seems to ride better with up to 40 psi while tires are warm...seems too low pressure rides rougher over bumps .
if it was up to me, 16 or 17 inch wheels with a taller sidewall would be more appropriate for street only use. guessing a 5% difference in overall diameter would not mess up the computer. i actually replaced the 18 inchers on the 17 Elantra sport with 16 inchers and 55 series tires. got better ride and better mpg with no deterioration in handling. wonder if 17 inchers with 225/55x17 tires on the Kona N would give similar results?.:unsure:
I definitely think a set of 17" wheels would ride better, but maybe hard to find one that will fit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Hmm... According to this video the Kona N can detect an upcoming S-bend by reading the road sign and prompt you to select N mode... I think the reviewer is mistaken as there are no front cameras on the Kona N. Maybe in Europe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I definitely think a set of 17" wheels would ride better, but maybe hard to find one that will fit?
when i switched the elantra sport to 16 inch wheels, i found genuine hyundai wheels with the sensors on ebay for sale. so, if i can find the 17 inch kona sel ones, i will get them. otherwise, i would expect the 17 or 18 wheels sold for konas to also fit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
when i switched the elantra sport to 16 inch wheels, i found genuine hyundai wheels with the sensors on ebay for sale. so, if i can find the 17 inch kona sel ones, i will get them. otherwise, i would expect the 17 or 18 wheels sold for konas to also fit.
I was told by my tire guy that the Kona N brakes might get in the way of accommodating smaller wheels...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

You also might want to look into some front camber bolts, so you wear your tires more evenly too. The best ones are from Specialty Products Company and many use these for private label sellers. Eibach being one of those private labeler's. The number for ALL Hyundai Kia are #81260 and they are the cheapest on Amazon. Amazon parts "selector" is wrong when it says it doesn't fit the car as the SPC/manufacture says this is the # for all Huyundai/Kia.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts