Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is.... Snowed pretty bad yesterday when I picked her up so the first thing I did was driving to the tire shop to put some Nokian snow tires on... Initial impressions.. Definitely rides a lot harsher than the Veloster N, very jittery. You feel a lot of movement on the steering wheel, like you always have to take firm control of it. Last time a car made me feel this way was a Mclaren LOL. However, putting it in snow mode helps quite a bit with both the suspension and the steering wheel feel. I didn't realize how small this car actually was until I parked it in my garage, and back seat room is very tight as to be expected.

The exhaust is as good as the one found in the Veloster N. For me this is what sells the N cars, the stock exhaust note. Even a light off-throttle delivers some berp berp berp from the back. For a Hyundai, this car gets a lot of attention on the road.

It was between this and a 2022 GTI SE. The SE was about a couple of thousand dollars more than the Kona N. The GTI rides better than the Kona N, the interior I think is better, but the exhaust is no where near as good and the entire package is less fun relative to the Hyundai. The styling of the Kona N is way more appealing to me than the GTI, so the decision was not hard. Any questions, fire away!
Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate Car Hood

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
All the N's are over damped. It was tuned by German suspension tuners, and directed by Beirmann to over dampen, so par for the course. Too bad they don't have a multi level progression scale of say 6-8 dampening levels. I know there is a hardware hack for the i30 N/Veloster N that gives you full spectrum of dampening adjustment. Thanks for giving us heads up on your findings with your review.

I would of had one in the driveway too by this time, as I had money down on one 1 year ago, but found out through Asian Youtubers who were at Euro race tracks that all the Kona N test mules were 2WD, so I pulled my money. AWD for me, or no sale. I will just slowly keep building my 1.6T AWD then. It's a nice car, have fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm with Mainia1 on this one! Hyundai screwed up on the Kona not having awd. They already had the Veloster and the Elantra N's both fwd, wtf Hyundai, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more money, and having a little bit more weight for AWD!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm with Mainia1 on this one! Hyundai screwed up on the Kona not having awd. They already had the Veloster and the Elantra N's both fwd, wtf Hyundai, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more money, and having a little bit more weight for AWD!!
The Kona N needs more weight in the rear anyway to balance the car. I added 100lbs more weight in the rear just to get it balanced properly. Oh yes, that will hurt my 0-60 times, but it helps so much in the corners, I was willing to give up some quickness for a far better handling Kona AWD.

Mr Beirmann single handily wrecked the Kona N. The Kona N would of been the KING of N cars. He "crippled" the Kona N first by the high ride height, with it's very high roll center, that gives it twitchy handling by design. Then by not making it AWD and saying it was too complicated, and the added weight. WHAT....... from a company that 1/3rd of it's car/SUVs are AWD, complicated??? More BS. And the added weight is BS too because a Kona it too light in the rear and was designed with excessive weight cantilevered over the front wheel more then say the Golf R which has basically the same suspension points/dimensions as the Kona AWD. The Kona N is a street racer, it is not an off road car in any shape or form needing it's high ground clearance that the standard Kona AWD has. A 100% different "use class". And Mr Beirmann wreck it, by his HORRID choice to "cripple the Kona N in both being too high and by only manufacturing it in it's 2WD form. Then the cost, ALL the AWD buyer have ZERO problem paying the $1,400 AWD option.

When I post about the Kona N on youtube, Then you get posters that come back at me saying it has a eLSD and there is no need for AWD. Oh yea......have ever driven a properly setup AWD street racer I ask. Any high HP FWD car has axle tramp and massive torque steer. Mr Beirmann says he want high torque steer as an "input vector" he says it is a PLUS. OH BS, who likes torque steer, he is full of BS trying to gloss over that problematic issue with FWD high HP cars. My AWD doesn't have any torque steer, and it wouldn't if it had another 150 hp added to it's 175 hp.

AWD is superior in the corners as a tire can only grip 100% if you push back 40% of the power to the rear you will have 40% more grip that will go to steering grip and input. Not to mention in corners where all you would get is understeer with the FWD car you get rear push through from the rear power output that allows more grip to the front tires and you can go through the corner faster with more stability and poise. Then bring in adverse conditions and AWD is right there letting you dance through the corners where FWD is a massive deterrent. Yes, I am the guy calling out the massive failure of Mr Beirmann and Hyundai on the Kona N. While I don't want to take the fun away from new buyer as it still is a fun car, I do and am the mouth piece to ALL the Kona N AWD want to be buyers, who Hyundai failed us as it could of been. The only competition is the Golf R which is $11,000 +over priced.

The Kona N AWD I feel would double it's sales as it could get 1/8 to 1/4 of the Golf R sales, GTI sales where they cant afford going to a Golf R and had to compromise to a GTI and would only buy a Kona N AWD if it was AWD, so now they default back to a GTI. WRX sales, Mitsubishi EVO replacement sales, "Used" Audi S3 buyers, BMW X1 and X2 and some X3 buyers. Then we would also have some buyer who are waiting for the new Toyota GR Corolla AWD that would buy the Kona N AWD. I then will bring in the possible female buyer that demands AWD, where a 2WD Kona N is out of the question as a whole because it is 2WD. We also have female buyers who want a small AWD sexy/qwerky/unique cars as "their run around town car" and can use the other family car if needed to haul larger things from their shopping. You loss 100% of this sale with a 2WD Kona N. You basiclly lost ALL of the female sales with the exception of youtuber women that are gear-heads. Also well off collage educated women in the burbs that you would get with an AWD Kona N.

Hyundai could make the AWD Kona N and sell it at the same cost as this "crippled" 2WD version because the increased car sales would offset the $800 cost it would cost Hyundai to make it AWD in their money. Plus then they would have an icon car to top it off. Now they just have a "crippled" "also ran".

I should of proof read it better Ha Ha, Just sent this to 6 Hyundai executives as a reminder of a large group of us Kona N AWD would be buyers, why we want a Kona N AWD. All I can do is try to fight for it. You have to try at least.

Reactions: nbwine and JohnVan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I played around with the settings and if you do a "custom N mode" you can adjust the suspension to "regular" and that helps a little bit. I suppose the super stiff suspension does make the car a little more dramatic but I can see how it can be too much for some people. For me, it's livable. The funny thing is I think it's actually firmer than my Alfa Romeo 4C so Hyundai really is trying to make this vehicle a hardcore sports car!

Traction with the snow tires is excellent. I'm in the Midwest and occasionally we get like 14 inches of snow but I feel very confident pushing her around so we're gonna have a good time together this winter :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I played around with the settings and if you do a "custom N mode" you can adjust the suspension to "regular" and that helps a little bit. I suppose the super stiff suspension does make the car a little more dramatic but I can see how it can be too much for some people. For me, it's livable. The funny thing is I think it's actually firmer than my Alfa Romeo 4C so Hyundai really is trying to make this vehicle a hardcore sports car!

Traction with the snow tires is excellent. I'm in the Midwest and occasionally we get like 14 inches of snow but I feel very confident pushing her around so we're gonna have a good time together this winter :)
I know I don't need to tell you this, but It was tuned mainly on the Nürburgring and other European race tracks that a very smooth tracks and roads. You can get away with an over damped car there. In the USA our roads and racetracks are not as smooth, so you pay the price. As you know a lot of people track the N's in regular mode. I like a hair over damped car, but in rough corners I like some compliance of softer damping. Seems you know cars, so as you know "time" will be your friend when the suspension will soften up a bit.

With the cars you are throwing around I wish I was you, because I would buy a Kona N and buy a crashed new SantaFa with a 2.5 8 speed AWD. There is high chance the rear sub-frame from a 1.6T would fit and I would build a 2.5 liter AWD Kona N. ;):LOL:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Minus the horridly high roll center. They are just trying to satisfy people with an overly stiff car and one of the best sounding exhaust system sounds of any 4 cylinder car under $60,000.:)

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
241 Posts
Minus the horridly high roll center. They are just trying to satisfy people with an overly stiff car and one of the best sounding exhaust system sounds of any 4 cylinder car under $60,000.:)
the only thing i miss on my car is having a dual exhaust, i just like the look. but id like a nice exhaust tone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the only thing i miss on my car is having a dual exhaust, i just like the look. but id like a nice exhaust tone
The dual exhaust does look good, although I wish they were ovals like the Audi RS3. The exhaust is what sold me this car - it is actually very similar to that of the RS3, maybe a little bit more exciting even.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post here, just want to say to the OP your new N looks rad! I'm not sure what some of the complaining from others about ride height and AWD is about, I think Hyundai nailed the market for this car at this price point. It's not about being a low AWD hot hatch for bigger money, it's about "Hey, there's people out there bumping up against $30k to get into a relatively slow-but-practical little box with a higher seating position, and most of them don't need AWD on the street. What if we take that vehicle and hot rod it for about $5k more and it keeps all the daily driver features they wanted?"

I'm not in that market yet - maybe I'll grab a used one in a year or two - but this clicks the boxes for me. Especially ride height, I'm 59 and creaky and you couldn't pay me to climb in and out of a Golf R every day. Gimme a hot hatch I can use!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
First post here, just want to say to the OP your new N looks rad! I'm not sure what some of the complaining from others about ride height and AWD is about, I think Hyundai nailed the market for this car at this price point. It's not about being a low AWD hot hatch for bigger money, it's about "Hey, there's people out there bumping up against $30k to get into a relatively slow-but-practical little box with a higher seating position, and most of them don't need AWD on the street. What if we take that vehicle and hot rod it for about $5k more and it keeps all the daily driver features they wanted?"

I'm not in that market yet - maybe I'll grab a used one in a year or two - but this clicks the boxes for me. Especially ride height, I'm 59 and creaky and you couldn't pay me to climb in and out of a Golf R every day. Gimme a hot hatch I can use!
It's a $1,400 option for AWD and I am 60 and over weight and a Golf R is 3 inches lower .....not an issue to get in and out. Hyundai could give away the AWD and make it up 10 fold by shear added volume of sales. The cost of the Kona N is not much different then 1.6T AWD . Don't feel sorry for Hyundai, as they are making plenty of money off of the Kona N.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thank you for the compliment! I think you have to compare the Kona N to other alternatives out on the market, not fantasize on what the Kona N could've or should've been. I guess you could sort of compare the Kona N to the Civic Type R or the Mini Cooper GP, but I'll compare it to the last gen Golf R because I'm most familiar with that one and they have similar horsepower and torque figures. I think the Kona N is as much fun as the Golf R, if not more fun. Out on the street, it accelerates and corners just as well as its German rival. But the Golf literally had no exhaust note so Kona N beats it by a landslide in that regard. A new 2018 Golf R was about $42k with the dual clutch transmission so it was also significantly higher priced than the Kona N. Yes, AWD was on the R, but it was a Haldex system and many VW owners have noted that in real life it really didn't do much for performance. Putting a nice set of snow tires on the Kona N and traction in the snow won't be an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a $1,400 option for AWD and I am 60 and over weight and a Golf R is 3 inches lower .....not an issue to get in and out. Hyundai could give away the AWD and make it up 10 fold by shear added volume of sales. The cost of the Kona N is not much different then 1.6T AWD . Don't feel sorry for Hyundai, as they are making plenty of money off of the Kona N.
3 inches lower is the difference between me buying a car and not. It's an issue.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
3 inches lower is the difference between me buying a car and not. It's an issue.
You bet it is, it is a major issue. A "crippled" high roll center is right up there #1/#2 in a high performance street and track racer. The other N cars are not "crippled" by a high roll center. That is why the "good" youtube Kona N tests have called out how twitchy the Kona N is compare to say the Elantra N. A high roll center is a killer to handling. I was able to lower my Kona 1.6T AWD 2 inches. I still have a "iffy" suspension setup as my suspension geometry angles are off mainly in the front lower control arms. I still have an iffy roll center as I still need to pull my subframe and lower my lower control arm mounting points to correct the roll center properly. The only saving grace is while my RC is off, I am not feeling much bump steer. I am very very lucky. Most Kona 1.6T you can only lower them safely 1 inch, then you run out of suspension travel. I have different struts with shorter tubes and a lower spring perch, so I got another 1 inch of travel. Here is my car if some of you have not seen it yet, and what has been done to it.

The Kona N is going to be very very hard to lower 2 inches, while keeping the adaptive suspension. With out seeing the struts I am 98% sure it can only be lowered 1 inch safely as to keep some form of suspension travel. IF it was designed correctly, ( which it was not) you could leave it as is as it would have an respectable street/track roll center. No. it is just plain horrible for a performance street car/ street racer. For a simpleton average Joe car or a old person commoner car it would not be an issue. But for a designed street racer/weekend track car, which is what the Kona N was designed for, it is an utter failure of a "choice decided by Mr Beirmann.

This is where and why I think this is such a failure, Mr Beirmans choice of a very high roll center and adaptive suspension has made it almost impossible to "correct it" without sending large large somes of money and needing getting rid of the adaptive suspension. You "might" be able to take the front struts oult of a Veloster N as that car was set up correctly and I can only assume the strut tubes are shorter and the spring perch's as lower too. Just guessing.....a front Veloster N strut would be in a $800 to $1,250 price point x4 and the same for the rear shock that needs to be shorter, but no perch is needed with this rear suspension design. A "crippleed" N car because Mr Beirmann thought the Kona need to be a 2WD SUV and not a hot hatch. Excuse me, the Kona N is 100% hot hatch and ZERO SUV. The stunning failure in his thinking that failed this car. His only saving grace would be IF..IF it was AWD He could of had a 20% reprieve from the mis design of this car. The is no excuse for a street racer to have such a high roll center. PERIOD. The Kona N is 100% a hot hatch, and raising the ride height/roll center does NOT make it an SUV. All it does is "cripple it".

While the 2022 Golf R has front and rear eLSD diffs and I bet is incredible in the corners , by no means does a FWD bias/ Haldex mean it give no 4 wheel drive in key areas of performance on the street and in the corners. Oh, yea a front and rear Tosen diffs would be the best. But that is top level $$$ car stuff. But in no way is FWD bias AWD anything to poo poo. If it did, we would see 500-800hp older Golf R with massive axle tramp and torque steer. like ALL , ALL 2WD eLSDs, which we don't. There is a very large group of ONLY Kona N AWD buyer out there that are not here or even want to touch my argument. I will always comment on this 2WD/FWD is so 1990s when cheap AWD is available that stops all the bad mojo FWD gives a performance car. All for $1,400. AWD is a no brainer. Even SavageGeese said when he tested the Kia k5 AWD. SavageGeese also knocked the Veloster N as an understeering mess EVEN with the eLSD in tight corners, AWD is the answer. It kills so many of the problems 2WD has even with an eLSD. A tire can only grip 100% so if you have to steer and add power, in 2WD form you are already at a disadvantage.

Here is the Kia K5 AWD driving review.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can see you're quite invested in your campaign but frankly it's a little weird to keep blasting some guy's new car thread with it. Hyundai already has the Veloster and now Elantra N for that low 'track car' thing if that's what folks want. The Kona N is a more practical daily driver that won't have the splitter crashing into parking curbs for every store run. I like that they hopped up a little CUV without killing the stuff people buy CUVs for. You're welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let's try to keep this thread focused on what the Kona N is, instead of what it isn't... Please and thank you.

This is my first Hyundai, and as a car enthusiast that has has been fortunate enough to own many fantastic cars over the years, I can voucher and say the Kona N is a very good car for the money. My goal here is to share my ownership experience with others who may benefit from it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm curious (as a potential buyer in a year or so), is that regular setting the softest you are able to find? I know there's a couple of fully customizable buttons on this car and I'm wondering if you've been able to create a Full Soft mode and what it's like to drive. I'm all in for the sporty stuff but I need a mellow mode, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm curious (as a potential buyer in a year or so), is that regular setting the softest you are able to find? I know there's a couple of fully customizable buttons on this car and I'm wondering if you've been able to create a Full Soft mode and what it's like to drive. I'm all in for the sporty stuff but I need a mellow mode, too.
For the custom N mode you can select either normal or sport for the suspension. I find "normal" to be quite tolerable for my driving style and "sport" to be way too aggressive. If you watch those Youtube reviews on the Kona N and see the test driver literally bouncing up and down the road - it's literally like that. If that's a concern, test drive before you buy!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts