Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Performance differences Kona vs. Veloster

21K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Candles46 
#1 ·

Hey Team!
I was curios to know the actual upgrades were done to the 2019 Kona-N vs. the 2019 Veloster. A quick search shows they all share the same engine! 1.6L Gamma turbo engine.
Veloster-N on the left, Kona Ultimate on the right.

First thing I found with research that the Veloster-N has upgraded-
*Engine Cam upgraded.
*Turbo Resonater is already deleted.
*Stiffer suspension and sway bars.
*Lower engine mount has stiffer bushing.
*Tuned exhaust for sure.
Anything else? Maybe custom ECU for a bit more performance? I'm asking just to find out how close the Kona is to unlocking its true potential without breaking the bank. I just want to get rid of the engine lag and give it a little more snap on starts.

See less See more
#2 ·
The whole intake manifold is different, the runners are longer, so more low end power. Throttle body is supposedly 5mm larger. The intake piping is also different on the veloster, where the recirc valve dumps in.

But removing the hotside resonator and the stiffer lwr mount does quite a bit for the kona. What the Kona really could use, is a lighter wheel/tire combo. That would help out immensely.

#3 ·
Considerable! The Kona is a 1.6T with 175 HP . the Veloster N is a 2.0T with 275 HP. So you'd need to start with a transplanted Veloster N 2.0T engine. That would about sum it up.:wink::grin: Or you can wait for the Kona N to appear sometime in 2020.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Mainia1
#4 ·
Ah, didn't know it was a larger engine in the V. I'll settle with discussed mods. I can't fit a bale of hay in the Veloster, I'll stick with my Kona for a while, :smile_big:

#6 ·
That's what I was thinking, programming and a little detuning to quiet the engine noise. Has anyone taken their Kona to a performance shop to have the car dyno tuned and pepped up?

#7 · (Edited)
The difference between the Veloster 1.6T and the Kona 1.6T Gamma engines, is obviously tuning. The Kona has been tuned for max torque and horsepower delivery at a lower rpm. Where as the Veloster naturally produces max horse power higher in the RPM range.

As of now, there is only one static tune available from Vivid Racing. I don't recommend you go this route while on warranty. All Hyundai's have a tune update counter. If they find you've altered the tuning it might very well cost you your powertrain warranty. Good news, there are plenty of aftermarket piggy back tuners available. They are not detectable and provide ample safe power increases to mirror or surpass those of a static ECU tune.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/fo...-discussion/1028-engine-tuning-available.html

Blessings and Peace

#9 · (Edited)
Piggy back tuners will add an additional 30 hp quite easily. No specs have been released on the 2.0T N motor. 9:5.1 compression ratio and direct petrol injection.

https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=558129

Like to see the data tune read out to prove this. There is no way anyone is getting 195hp/218 tq from the OEM 1.6T gamma Kona engine, when it's rated at 175 @ 5500 Torque 195 @ 1500.

If you're quoting the Puerto Rican tuner that claims they got 195 hp/218 Tq it's a fabrication. https://www.facebook.com/AlphaSpeedPR . The sheet they posted for the Kona, was from a Veloster Turbo. They used it as a lie to promote the business. This was address months ago.

Blessings and Peace

#11 · (Edited)
https://www.facebook.com/AlphaSpeed...y-190whp-fully-stock-cant-w/1337628946339713/ .

This is an outright fabrication.

Additionally, a resonator delete won't add any additional hp. Maybe, make more noise but nothing more. Delete of the OEM torque pipe baffle for the turbo won't increase hp either. Even with an addition of an Electronic Boost Control Solenoid there is only marginal hp increase at higher rpms.

Blessings and Peace

#12 ·
I think you are miss understanding which resonator delete people are talking about. This is the hot after the turbo, but before the intercooler. Not the resonator in the exhuast pipe. Its a proven modification on all 1.6T gamma engines. However, im sure im not the only Kona owner to do it, and im sure there will be plenty posts about it in the future, by other members.

#13 ·
I know exactly what you're talking about.

Doubtful considering all the plumbing from the intercooler is quite good. Maybe when a performance down pipe and intercooler are available thru an aftermarket vendor or reputable tuner we’ll see respectable who gains beyond 220 whp. Neither are available at this time.

So if you can’t enlarge the intake or exhaust tubing there are minimal gains without a tuner. Connecting rods and pistons are in question beyond 245 hp. However, once this is done you can nix the warranty.

Respectable whp will be around 235 max, without getting into the internals even with meth injection. Intake is limited to the turbo charger which is relative small and spools too quickly. Even if you increase the exhaust side tubing it will still be limited by the OEM down pipe and turbo outlet and exhaust.

Going in for any warranty issues, will quickly expose any such modifications unless they can be reversed. Same with required services such as ECU Updates, recalls, etc.

So, anyone wanting to make such changes either, have to avoid taking it in or make the changes in a stealthy fashion. There are only a handful of piggyback tuners that can be modified for; intercooler, intakes, and other bolt on mods. Either way, it doesn’t bode well if you do have a warranted issue. Naturally, I’m speaking in general terms. It’s your Kona you can do what you choose. I’m simple looking at both sides.

Keep in mind the Kona has been in production for nearly three years from 2017 European release till now. There aren’t any real performance companies interested yet.

Blessings and Peace

#15 ·
I agree! We just have to wait and hope someone pickups the yoke.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

#16 ·
#17 ·
However, DTUK is now producing; https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...7-onwards/1-6-t-gdi-177ps130kw-1591-ccm-2/#go

All three with the two apps are on ordered and will be on the way Monday or Tuesday. YeeHaw!:grin:

Thanks @Mainia1 for originally posting the website!!::wink::smile:

Blessings and Peace

NICE!!!!!:smile:let us know the total shipping and customs fee.

Do you plan on doing any dyno runs after you install it? It would be nice to see if they add 30 hp to the true under rated hp figure or if they add the 30 hp to the factory posted 175 hp and cut it off there. I know weather/temp will alter it, but you hope that turbo can get a high enough boost to get past 30hp.

#18 ·
With shipping everything came to; $1,143.13 with the apps no customs required.

DTUK® FSR+ MultiChannel Petrol Tuning Box For: Car HYUNDAI KONA from 2017 onwards 1.6 T-GDI, 177PS/130kW, 1591 ccm - Including app control 1 £383.29

DTUK® Pedal Box Plus For: Car HYUNDAI KONA from 2017 onwards 1.6 T-GDI, 177PS/130kW, 1591 ccm 1 £191.63

DTUK® TCU+ Gearbox Flash​ For: Car HYUNDAI KONA from 2017 onwards 1.6 T-GDI, 177PS/130kW, 1591 ccm 1 £291.63

Extended 4th and 5th year Module Warranty - The 4th and 5th year warranty is not applicable on pedal boxes 1 £0.00

Subtotal: £866.55

Shipping: £50.00 via Fedex

Discount applied - 5% off your basket total when you add more than one qualifying product to your basket.: -£43.33

Payment method: PayPal

Before and after dyno runs just need to schedule the time.

Total: £873.22

Blessings and Peace

#20 ·
No the accelerator pedal box function is separate from the Tune box. The Tune Box deals with specific parameters of the engine, separately. I don't know about the trans re-flash other than what is advertised by DTUK. They say it's not detectable, nor does it add a flash to the ECU flash counter. Yes it's reversible as I understand. However, if the trans re-flash is undetectable, then you really have nothing to be concerned about.

Blessings and Peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.