Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my brothers 2019 1.6 turbo Kona Ultimate off lease and it has 20,000 miles on it. Therefore, the warranty is for the remaining time left of the 5 year warranty, not the remainder of the 10 years you would get if it was certified per owned from a dealer. Does anyone have any experience of buying a non dealer used car and taking it to a dealer to get certified? Is this ever done ? I really would like to extend the warranty for the engine and transmission. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It all depends on the "Fine Print" in the original sales order. More that likely the 10 year powertrain warranty is only for the original owner.

My guess is that Hyundai wants to keep good used cars and that the "certified" part of this is that the original owner purchased, serviced, and traded-in that car at the same dealer. So-- unless a Hyundai Dealer selling it, you probably can't get it "certified." (That way they can add extra "value" to the price of their used vehicles.)

They can be rip-offs, but see if an "Extended Warranty" is available. That may be something to think about.

All I can say is I've got about 40k miles on my 2020 1.6t FWD and only change the oil every 5k miles. I have some issues with the DCT, but apparently everyone does. I'm thinking that with proper maintenance you should easily get 150k miles. Just be sure to follow the maintenance schedule...spark plugs, fluids for AWD, filters, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts