Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kona Preferred w/ Sun & Leather (AWD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Picked up a new 2022 Kona Preferred w/ Sun & Leather (AWD) a week or so ago and noticed a lump under the paint near the passenger side door handle today (see pics below). It's soft and appears that some sort of body filler/putty was on the body before it painted over and then clear coated. It's already starting to chip off given how soft it is. You can pick it off with your fingernail. It's about 1/2" long (1 cm) or so.

Before I go to the dealer to have them fix it under warranty, any thoughts on how they would do this? I imagine they'd scrap off the foreign matter (and the paint/clear coat on top in the process) then possibly lightly sand, repaint just a small spot and then apply some clear coat?

I don't actually care how it looks today, I'm more concerned that over time as it comes off that it'll expose the metal underneath and cause rust.

EDIT: It's definitely under the paint - it's hard to photograph given that the clear coat is very reflective

Thanks!

Kal

·
Registered
96 Posts
It could be somehting that got on the paint during transport. Have you tried just cleaning it up with some goo gone or something? If it was paint, it would be really hard, not gummy. From he pics provided, it looks to be sitting ON the paint, not IN the paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

It's difficult to see in the picture but it's not on top of the paint because of the clear coat reflections make it hard to photograph, but there's something under the paint / clearcoat. So not an issue directly with the paint nor could it have happened during transport. There was a chunk of foreign matter (seems like some sort of caulking or putty) that found itself stuck to the door before the vehicle entered the paint shop at the car plant and the acid wash/dip didn't clean off and then it simply got painted over and then a layer of clear coat applied. A Q/A issue that someone missed. (In a previous career I used to design manufacturing assembly tools at a car plant).

So it's not a paint issue (at least not directly) nor a transfort issue, but something that was stuck to the panel that was simply painted over. Surprising that nobody noticed this before entering the paint shop or in the brite white inspection rooms after.

I could easily remove it with a fingernail or similar as it's soft but then I'd have a little spot that is bare metal (unpainted / no clear coat).

More curious at this point as to how they would fix something like this. Cheers!

Kal

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

It's difficult to see in the picture but it's not on top of the paint because of the clear coat reflections make it hard to photograph, but there's something under the paint / clearcoat. So not an issue directly with the paint nor could it have happened during transport. There was a chunk of foreign matter (seems like some sort of caulking or putty) that found itself stuck to the door before the vehicle entered the paint shop at the car plant and the acid wash/dip didn't clean off and then it simply got painted over and then a layer of clear coat applied. A Q/A issue that someone missed. (In a previous career I used to design manufacturing assembly tools at a car plant).

So it's not a paint issue (at least not directly) nor a transfort issue, but something that was stuck to the panel that was simply painted over. Surprising that nobody noticed this before entering the paint shop or in the brite white inspection rooms after.

I could easily remove it with a fingernail or similar as it's soft but then I'd have a little spot that is bare metal (unpainted / no clear coat).

More curious at this point as to how they would fix something like this. Cheers!

Kal

I'm sure the dealer will take care of it (I'd HOPE), it's too bad it wasn't noticed well before it got to you, but also before you got it off the lot. I hope they don't try to be hard asses about it.

Good luck! Interested to hear how it gets resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! since it's warranty work I'll probably end up at a different dealer to do it as they'll all get paid for this. The dealer I bought from is a bit farther away (but was worth travelling to once as they had the best purchase price on a new 2022 Kona).

Kal

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it actually is something under the paint which would require re-painting, I would wait until closer to the end of the warranty period to have it repaired. Why? Do you really want your brand new car to be painted on? I'd leave the factory paint intact as long as it's not causing a problem. (It's on the passenger side, so it's not like you see it every time you get in the car!) Take it to the dealer and let them make a note of it in your warranty file so they know it was there from the start but have it fixed later if you can. I used to be in the auto body business and while most shops do a great job, it's still NOT the factory finish. It will be softer longer and more susceptible to nicks/chips/damage than the factory finish. But I would have the dealer note it in your warranty file so there's not an issue with having it repaired later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it actually is something under the paint which would require re-painting, I would wait until closer to the end of the warranty period to have it repaired. Why? Do you really want your brand new car to be painted on?
Dealer confirmed it's under the paint, took it to their collision center who confirmed it's door sealer. I do want it painted now while the OEM/factory paint is fresh. That way the new paint will match the old more closely and they don't have to try and match 'faded' paint.

Paint warranty is only 12 months in Canada.

Cheers and thanks for the input!

Kal

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If it was mine, I myself would chip it off apply etching primer with an ultra fine Q-Tip /toothpick and use a them to lay a bit of metallic matching paint just inside the small spot.No brushing outside the hole. It is not worth killing the new factory paint for that little thing, EVER. I would rather have that "do dad" off the car and have a dot of owner fix-it there. It is kind of hidden from daily use anyway. Leaving it brings up more ??s of a repaint upon resale then a fix-it or a bad repaint by the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input! A couple of questions as I don't understand some of the terms (sorry!)

If it was mine, I myself would chip it off apply etching primer with an ultra fine Q-Tip /toothpick and use a them to lay a bit of metallic matching paint just inside the small spot.
What do you mean by a "them"? I think it's maybe a typo but I can't figure out what you mean to say.

It is not worth killing the new factory paint for that little thing, EVER.
Why? This would be done at a collision center who are used to repainting entire vehicles. All under warranty. They say they need to repaint the entire door in order to do it right.

Had one car years ago that had front and back repainted after a collision and you wouldn't know the difference and still looked great ~8 years later. Right before I went to sell it someone backed into the side door and that got fixed/repainted too. Again, you couldn't tell the difference (though I didn't have any long term experience with that as I sold it about a month later).

I would rather have that "do dad" off the car and have a dot of owner fix-it there.
Dot of owner? Sorry, not sure what that means.

Leaving it brings up more ??s of a repaint upon resale then a fix-it or a bad repaint by the dealer.
Whenever seller (at least up here in Ontario Canada) repaints don't show up on carfax. IIRC only when police/insurance get involved is there any record. My understanding is that parts may even get repainted because of transportation damage even before the buyer picks up the new vehicle and they don't even have to be told about it. So I don't believe if paint work is done it needs to be disclosed. OMVIC (Ontario vehicle sales regulator) doesn't mention it: OMVIC > Consumers > Consumer Protection > Mandatory Disclosures
That said, I certainly wouldn't hid anything from a potential buyer.

Kal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts